The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-11 21:09:05

mknoop

dist-upgrade on ceres still wants to remove wicd

I know that dist-upgrade has to be run cautiously on ceres, but this issue has been around for a while now.  There are a lot of packages related to python2 that need to be removed now that python2 is being deprecated, but ceres keeps insisting that the wicd packages and rfkill have to go as well.  That cannot be right, and it does not happen on debian sid.  It insists on this even if I do not include the --autoremove option.

I looked at the devuan website for some way to submit bug reports for devuan modified  packages, but I could not find anything.  I am, therefore, posting this message here.

During my searches I ran across a page for debian developers for modifying packages dependencies for the python2 removal.

#2 2020-08-11 21:14:40

golinux
Administrator

Re: dist-upgrade on ceres still wants to remove wicd

https://bugs.devuan.org/ but these are most likely debian bugs aren't they?

#3 2020-08-12 15:45:41

HevyDevy

it needs to be converted to python3 i think due to python2 being deprecated. If no one is able or wants to pick it up it will just get relegated to the dustbin for future releases of debian stable/testing. This is why im glad i learnt how to use backend tools like ifupdown, wpa_supplicant and iwd.

#4 2020-08-12 16:07:23

sgage

HevyDevy wrote:

it needs to be converted to python3 i think due to python2 being deprecated. If no one is able or wants to pick it up it will just get relegated to the dustbin for future releases of debian stable/testing. This is why im glad i learnt how to use backend tools like ifupdown, wpa_supplicant and iwd.

It's why I'm glad I just use a wired ethernet connection :-)

#5 2020-08-12 16:36:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

mknoop wrote:

it does not happen on debian sid

Are you sure about that? The wicd package is not installable in sid (or ceres) because the python-gobject2 dependency is no longer available.

And please show us actual error messages rather than vague descriptions, it's less confusing for us and less effort for you.

HeavyDevy wrote:

it needs to be converted to python3 i think due to python2 being deprecated

The python3 version is already available in Debian's experimental repositories:

https://packages.debian.org/experimental/wicd

The OP could try using that, the experimental repositories have a pin value of 1 (one) by default so it should be "safe" to add them to a Devuan system.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2020-08-12 17:37:55

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

It's why I'm glad I just use a wired ethernet connection :-)

Amen to that!

#7 2020-08-12 19:30:46

MiyoLinux

mknoop wrote:

python2 is being deprecated, but ceres keeps insisting that the wicd packages and rfkill have to go as well.

On the latest release of MiyoLinux (MiyoLinux wmderland)...which was built from a debootstrap of ceres...I can't speak for wicd since I didn't include it nor try to include it (it's using cmst as the network manager), but rfkill installed without issue. smile

As for the python2 issue in ceres, I get this each time I run an upgrade...

The following packages have been kept back:
  libpython2-stdlib python2 python2-minimal

...keep in mind that MiyoLinux is very minimal; therefore, the "gobject" package isn't shown.

I know that dist-upgrade has to be run cautiously on ceres

True. Perhaps this will help folks who may be interested in using ceres...this is from the Release Notes of MiyoLinux wmderland (based on ceres)...

Upgrade with care!

Please upgrade your system with care! You may want to install the package...

apt-listbugs

...to help you.

a) On Devuan Ceres, upgrades are performed with...

apt update

...followed by...

apt dist-upgrade

If apt-listbugs is installed and you initiate dist-upgrade, the downloaded new packages will not install if apt-listbugs finds bug reports posted about any of the upgradeable packages. The bugs are briefly listed with a short description, and you are asked if you want to proceed. At that point, you might say no, halting the process if you think the bugs will affect you. Then either hold off upgrading for the moment, or hold those buggy packages and then upgrade the rest.

b) It's ok to wait a few days (or even a week or more) and then try dist-upgrading again. Often, the bugs will have been rectified by then. Meanwhile your installation should still be running fine and usable. Another option is to just update specific packages like the browser since it's something you use often and the update might be security-related. You can also use Synaptic for selective updating.

c) Sometimes a dist-upgrade isn't able to complete and there will be an error message about not being able to configure certain things. In this case, you can try a combination of:

sudo dpkg --configure --pending

...and...

sudo apt-get -f install   

You may have to go back and forth between those two commands several times. Then try to dist-upgrade again to continue with the rest of the upgrades (after the above 2 commands have dealt with the problematic packages).

d) MOST IMPORTANTLY: Just watch what apt tells you and act accordingly. Look at the description of the bug(s). Some reports may sound very serious with "Critical" attached to them. However, the description may let you know that it's not necessarily "critical" to your system. Also, if an upgrade will remove packages, you will probably want hold off dist-upgrading for the time being.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Board footer