The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-02 10:37:08

brocashelm

LibPAM-TMPDIR Causes VeraCrypt Mounting Problems

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also use VeraCrypt and have a different problem at the moment.

As I like to tinker with security, I installed the LibPAM-TMPDIR package, only to find out that VeraCrypt can't "see" that I have mounted volumes, thus no ability to unmount them through the software. I could do it through the system, but it leads to a bit of a mess. How would I go about fixing this without removing the package? Do I need to set a specific mount path for VeraCrypt? If so, that would be appreciated.

Last edited by brocashelm (2020-08-02 15:31:57)

#2 2020-08-02 12:55:22

HevyDevy

Re: LibPAM-TMPDIR Causes VeraCrypt Mounting Problems

brocashelm wrote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also use VeraCrypt and have a different problem at the moment.

As I like to tinker with security, I installed the LibPAM-TMPDIR package, only to find out that VeraCrypt can't "see" that I have mounted volumes, thus no ability to unmount them through the software. I could do it through the system, but it leads to a bit of a mess. How would I go about fixing this without removing the package? Do I need to set a specific mount path for VeraCrypt? If so, that would be appreciated.

Are they veracrypt volumes?

Maybe dont hijack this thread and create a new thread as your issue has nothing to do with the OP.

#3 2020-08-02 15:00:22

brocashelm

HevyDevy wrote:
brocashelm wrote:

Are they veracrypt volumes?

Maybe dont hijack this thread and create a new thread as your issue has nothing to do with the OP.

Yes, they are VeraCrypt volumes.

And, if a moderator wants to split these posts into a separate thread, go ahead.

#4 2020-08-02 15:15:17

golinux
Administrator

Done. brocashelm . . . you might want to change the subject to better describe your issue.

#5 2020-08-02 16:47:42

rolfie

There are several options I know how to mount a Veracrypt volume.
1.) Veracrypt GUI
2.) Veracrypt cli interface
3.) cryptsetup

I use 1 and 2. All in common is that you have to tell the sw which container to open and where to mount it. No idea what LibPAM-TMPDIR does or requires.

If you use 2 you will see the mounted container(s) in the GUI. I am not astonished that a container opened with cryptsetup isn't seen by the GUI.

rolfie

#6 2020-08-03 11:35:48

HevyDevy

I successfully recreated this issue with using libpam-tmpdir, im not sure exactly what is going on but i believe it could be a permission issue that veracrypt needs from the user that is being blocked by libpam-tmpdir somehow.

In the gui and cli of veracrypt i can mount an encrypted volume but it stays in /media/veracrypt6 (for example). Using thunar file manager i can successfully unmount it and mount it but it stays in the loop device. I havent rebooted yet to see if it disappears but logging out and back in again doesnt seem to affect it other than being unmounted.

NAME                  MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
loop0                   7:0    0    10M  0 loop  
└─veracrypt6          254:2    0   9.8M  0 dm    

To me it looks like dm-crypt has taken over veracrypt mounting or some such?

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-08-03 11:37:03)

#7 2020-08-03 16:52:24

brocashelm

Yeah, they do disappear when you reboot. Still haven't been able to figure out a proper workaround.

Board footer