The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-05 21:58:07

garyk

Beowulf questions

1. I surfed over to the devuan mirror links page wanting to get an iso image for beowulf.  The mirrors I looked at only had directories for ascii and Jessie.  Where do the Beowulf directories exist?  Do they exist on only some mirrors and I didn't happen to look at the right mirrors?

2.  Are all the software packages now in Beowulf the only ones that are going to be included?  I was interested specifically in the latest xiphos version that exists in Debian Buster but when I updated my sources.list file to look at the Beowulf repositories, did an aptitude update, and then used apt-cache to search for xiphos it did not show up in Beowulf.

#2 2019-05-05 22:21:32

golinux
Administrator

Re: Beowulf questions

garyk wrote:

1. I surfed over to the devuan mirror links page wanting to get an iso image for beowulf.  The mirrors I looked at only had directories for ascii and Jessie.  Where do the Beowulf directories exist?  Do they exist on only some mirrors and I didn't happen to look at the right mirrors?

Beowulf is still in testing so no official installation isos are available on the mirrors.  You can upgrade from ASCII by changing your sources to beowulf or use the one of the mini.isos here.  Read the options carefully because there are some different ones available:
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/dis … s/netboot/

2.  Are all the software packages now in Beowulf the only ones that are going to be included?  I was interested specifically in the latest xiphos version that exists in Debian Buster but when I updated my sources.list file to look at the Beowulf repositories, did an aptitude update, and then used apt-cache to search for xiphos it did not show up in Beowulf.

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/d1pk … elease=any

#3 2019-05-06 00:19:33

sgage

Be advised that the currently available mini iso's don't work due to a kernel module conflict. Fsmithred said new ones would be available in roughly a couple of weeks. Your best bet is to make a clean install of ascii, change the sources, and upgrade that way. This has worked very well for me.

#4 2019-05-06 00:35:22

golinux
Administrator

@sgage . . . thanks for the heads-up.   I sometimes lose track of things . . .

#5 2019-05-06 00:36:11

garyk

golinux wrote:
garyk wrote:

Beowulf is still in testing so no official installation isos are available on the mirrors.  You can upgrade from ASCII by changing your sources to beowulf or use the one of the mini.isos here.  Read the options carefully because there are some different ones available:

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/d1pk … elease=any

Thank you. 

I have another question though.  Debian clearly advertises their package searching page on their website.  I've been looking for Devuan's equivalent but hadn't been able to find it.  I'll bookmark the link, but I'm curious as to where the link to the package search page is found on the Devuan site.  To me it isn't obvious at all.

#6 2019-05-06 00:42:13

garyk

Never mind.  I just found it at the top of the forum page.  I find that a strange place to put the link to the page for searching packages.  That it isn't on the official Devuan site is very odd.

#7 2019-05-06 01:11:51

golinux
Administrator

garyk wrote:

Never mind.  I just found it at the top of the forum page.  I find that a strange place to put the link to the page for searching packages.

It's also in my signature on every post.

That it isn't on the official Devuan site is very odd.

It's all over the devuan.org site - on the index page and about 6 other pages too . . . maybe more.  No blinking neon though.  wink

#8 2019-05-06 01:34:16

garyk

golinux wrote:
garyk wrote:

Never mind.  I just found it at the top of the forum page.  I find that a strange place to put the link to the page for searching packages.

It's also in my signature on every post.

That it isn't on the official Devuan site is very odd.

It's all over the devuan.org site - on the index page and about 6 other pages too . . . maybe more.  No blinking neon though.  wink

Well, I finally found it on the index page.  My eyes passed over that link I don't know how many times without actually seeing it.  It's a known weakness of mine.  I've had a hard time finding things all my life.  I got married so I would have a wife to find things for me.... LOL.   

I spent 20 years as an hvac/r service tech and I can't tell you how many times I would lay a tool down while thinking about the issue I was troubleshooting and then spend 15 minutes looking for when I needed it again.  It would usually be right in front of me but for some reason whatever it is I'm looking for doesn't always register with me like it should.

#9 2019-05-11 00:22:12

garyk

sgage wrote:

Be advised that the currently available mini iso's don't work due to a kernel module conflict. Fsmithred said new ones would be available in roughly a couple of weeks. Your best bet is to make a clean install of ascii, change the sources, and upgrade that way. This has worked very well for me.

Thanks for this.  I can't upgrade from my current ascii install as I get perl package conflicts that aptitude cannot resolve.  Since I don't want to do a clean install and then upgrade as that may fail too because of the perl conflicts I guess I'll just have to wait until the perl package conflicts are resolved in the repositories.

#10 2019-05-11 01:36:42

golinux
Administrator

I often get conflicts and "you have broken packages" notices with perl upgrades.  Usually a reboot allows me to do the upgrade immediately after logging in but I guess that depends on what the conflicts are exactly.

Board footer