The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-02 19:22:59

lvdave

Can someone explain...

I am trying to install a client (Owncloud-client), the package I'm using says it is for Debian 9, and to my understanding, Devuan-Ascii is a fork of
Debian 9. I use Devuan as I don't care for systemd. I dealt with this question a while back, when I was told the Devuan repos contained owncloud-client. That version worked just fine until I upgraded the Owncloud server backend, and now the 2.2.4 version of owncloud-client, in the Devuan repo, does NOT work with the upgraded server. When I attempt to install the 2.5.1 client, the one required for the upgraded server, I get the following from dpkg..

owncloud-client:amd64 depends on libowncloudsync0 (= 2.5.1.10973+oc-10450); however:
  Package libowncloudsync0 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5concurrent5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5concurrent5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5core5a; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5core5a is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5dbus5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5dbus5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5gui5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5gui5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5keychain1; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5keychain1 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5network5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5network5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5webkit5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5webkit5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5widgets5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5widgets5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5xml5; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5xml5 is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on owncloud-client-l10n; however:
  Package owncloud-client-l10n is not installed.
 owncloud-client:amd64 depends on ocqt5101-libqt5sql5-sqlite; however:
  Package ocqt5101-libqt5sql5-sqlite is not installed.

I went thru and verified that each and every one of the libqt5* files exist on the system doing the install. What is totally unclear is
WHAT the "ocqt5101-" header on these lib file is. Would it be something stupid like needing symlinks from the ocqt5101-x" to the
actual library file? I posted on the Owncloud forum and they suggested posting on this forum. I'm between a rock and a hard place

Thanks
Dave

#2 2019-01-02 20:54:37

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: Can someone explain...

The first points of call are /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*; especially the latter: maybe your server upgrade dropped a new source point for you?

#3 2019-01-02 21:53:05

amesser
Website

These "oc" prefixed packages do not exist on Devuan, neither on Debian. Don't know how the owncloud package has been tested to work with Debian. I suggest "oc" stands for "owncloud" so I suggest these files are some OwnCloud internal packages.
I suggest you to rebuild the latest owncloud package by yourself from git repos. This is kinda back porting a package by yourself.
The workflow is something like this - roughly tested on devuan ascii:

$ sudo apt install git build-essential dpkg-dev devscripts
$ git clone https://salsa.debian.org/owncloud-team/owncloud-client.git
$ cd owncloud-client
$ git checkout debian/2.5.1.10973+dfsg-1
$ git checkout -b my_build
$ dch -l~mybuild # <- will pop up an editor, just save and close
$ sed -i 's/--with sphinxdoc//' debian/rules # <-- fix problem with doc build
$ dpkg-buildpackage -b # <- will most likely fail with missing packages (reported to terminal)
$ sudo apt install <missing packages>
$ dpkg-buildpackage -b # <- will build now, takes some time
$ ls ../*.deb # <- parent dir should now contain all required debs to install

#4 2019-01-03 02:00:28

lvdave

I had occasion on another machine, which was was running Ubuntu 18.04, to attempt to install the Owncloud client on that system. The download for Ubuntu
18.04 turned out to be the same one as for Debian 9. Trying to install on Ubuntu gave me the missing files as Devuan... Will try the self-build...

Thanks

#5 2019-01-03 03:24:51

lvdave

Thank you! Thank you!! Made me feel like I'm back on Gentoo, with the "build your own software" ... But your instructions were very clear and
got the job done... Gonna copy those debs off where they'll get backed up for future use. Since the Devuan system was just a small laptop,
I built the client on my big machine running Ubuntu 18.04 and the client installed fine on Ubuntu, will make sure it works on Devuan as soon as
possible... Thanks again!!

#6 2019-01-03 16:25:12

lvdave

Looks like I have to build it on Devuan also.. The debs I built on Ubuntu 18.04 are not happy on Devuan. Thanks again!!

#7 2019-01-03 17:10:09

golinux
Administrator

lvdave wrote:

The debs I built on Ubuntu 18.04 are not happy on Devuan. Thanks again!!

Why would you think they would be?  It is a _very bad idea_ to use Debian-related packages from other sources on Devuan.

#8 2019-01-03 18:22:10

lvdave

Why would you think they would be?  It is a _very bad idea_ to use Debian-related packages from other sources on Devuan.

Not *everyone* is as up on Ubuntu/Debian differences. Since Ubuntu is forked from Debian as is Devuan, its an easy to assume idea.. No need to be snippy about my lack of knowledge...

Last edited by lvdave (2019-01-03 18:23:24)

#9 2019-01-03 18:40:35

golinux
Administrator

lvdave wrote:

Not *everyone* is as up on Ubuntu/Debian differences. Since Ubuntu is forked from Debian as is Devuan, its an easy to assume idea.. No need to be snippy about my lack of knowledge...

You're right of course.  Devuan users tend to be pretty savvy but I should not assume we all are.  We also tend to be pretty thick-skinned.  wink

The Debian wiki is quite clear about not mixing repositories: Don't make a FrankenDebian

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

-  Debian testing release (currently buster)
-  Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
-  Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
-  Ubuntu PPAs

#10 2019-01-04 13:45:09

Panopticon

"Dont Make A FrankenDebian"

Should be front and center of both Debian and Devuan websites, a good percentage of issues like this are always popping up at forums and elsewhere regularly. There is a wiki  https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian but how would a new or uninformed user know where to find that info before he/she break it?

Or maybe "Debian is not Ubuntu or Mint or MX Linux" ........

#11 2019-01-04 19:01:02

golinux
Administrator

Panopticon wrote:

"Dont Make A FrankenDebian"

Should be front and center of both Debian and Devuan websites, a good percentage of issues like this are always popping up at forums and elsewhere regularly. There is a wiki  https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian but how would a new or uninformed user know where to find that info before he/she break it?

Or maybe "Debian is not Ubuntu or Mint or MX Linux" ........

That would only be useful if a new user actually bothers to read anything. These days users tend to leap before looking. A garish flashing popup is the only thing that MIGHT grab someone's attention . . .

FYI . . . this is on the download page of the devuan website and I'm pretty sure repeated on the repo pages too.  Those who do not seek will not find:

Package repositories

Devuan package repositories are exclusive. Other repositories, including Debian’s, should NOT be used directly. Devuan recommends using the codename (jessie, ascii, beowulf, ceres) rather than the suite (oldstable, stable, testing, unstable) in sources.list entries.

#12 2019-01-05 09:07:14

amesser
Website

The (main) problem with building packages on different distributions is, that typically different distributions will have different versions of libraries. Depending on how stable the interface of such an library is, the executable might/will only work with particular versions of an library.

Therefore the dpkg builder usually grabs the version numbers of the libraries the package was build with and insert this version information into the built .deb files as requirement. So it can happen, that a source package can be build without problems on different distributions, but the resulting binary packages wont install or work on other distributions than they were built for.

Board footer