The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-04 02:35:57

mckaygerhard
Website

networks managers comparison and some notes

In original Debian theres some connection managers, the famous Network/mananger, the light Wicd python suite and the newer focused Connamn, those have some special use cases and tips

http://wiki.friendsofdevuan.org/doku.ph … -and-notes

Wicd are default in Devuan, comes only with basic, wired and wireless connections, some adhoc and ip settings.. its based on python and their UI its GTK only. wicd lacks of some specific features that connman will do and fo course network-manager comes included. wicd are maybe for python lovers, but for lighters and network related administrator are very bad due lacks of VPN advanced features and if some python env changed will be a pain.

Devuan and also Debian has the connman, available since Debian Jeesie, that are a wicd equivalent, but no python based, so its the best choice for light desktops, plus have some features that wicd does not! Have a UI GTK (connman-ui) and other QT (cmst) interfaces both minimal dependences.

In the link there are a table comparison and names of related packages.

#2 2017-05-04 02:50:03

golinux
Administrator

Re: networks managers comparison and some notes

No mention of Katolaz' setnet?  Or edbarx' simple-netaid?   Both native to Devuan.

#3 2017-05-04 05:10:18

Nili
Website

I prefer the simple traditional way of modifying data interfaces

/etc/network/interfaces

DNS location

/etc/resolv.conf

For desktop users without wireless and a single wired cable, i find it a lot more simple and less RAM usage.

Regards!

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#4 2017-06-12 17:29:59

mckaygerhard
Website

golinux wrote:

No mention of Katolaz' setnet?  Or edbarx' simple-netaid?   Both native to Devuan.

i not have info about it, i mean, i made an article about "available packages" for network management, also seem friend of devuan are in read only mode..

i qill extended the document, i need more info about that buit for usage in userspace also more experience.. i'll promise and release in my VenenuX blog

For desktop users without wireless and a single wired cable, i find it a lot more simple and less RAM usage.

that's totally true.. but today its not the normal common..

Nili wrote:

I prefer the simple traditional way of modifying data interfaces

/etc/network/interfaces

DNS location

/etc/resolv.conf

Regards!

if i ned a special VPN setup, can be a pain... so some fronends maybe are need.. that's why i made the article..

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-06-12 17:31:51)

Board footer