The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-02 18:50:05

Vargr

Migrating from Mint

Hello chaps,

Recently I found about systemd and started to consider migrating to a better OS. I've been using Mint since 2015, I'm not an advanced user but I get by just fine if there are good instructions around.
The great thing about Mint is the easy of use and install, but it was very disappointing to find that they barely want to discuss systemd alternatives.

So I started to try Devuan on a secondary system, I intend to ask about a few difficulties on other topics, but first I just wanted to know if there plans to make Devuan a bit more user friendly?

Antergos was a joy to install (despite requiring to be connected) that feature selection is great, having the choice to select a few programs and the firewall before installing is really helpful. Could a similar installer be used on Devuan?

Cheers

#2 2018-12-02 21:32:57

ChuangTzu

Re: Migrating from Mint

User friendly is subjective.  I, for example, find Devuan and Slackware very user friendly.  If you mean hold your hand through every little step of the way, giving you pats on the back for encouragement along with popups saying oops, then no Devuan is not that kind of user friendly.  For installing packages, it has apt/synaptic which you should be familiar with...for firewall, UFW is there

apt install ufw

then

ufw default deny

and

ufw deny ssh

(all as root). 

If you want to select just a few programs use the minimal/net installer and customize to your hearts content.  Remember, Ubuntu and Mint take from Debian so most can easily be replicated.  I mean after all if Ubuntu can do it, how hard can it really be.  smile

#3 2018-12-02 21:39:38

golinux
Administrator

Reminder:  Do not use Ubuntu or Mint packages on Devuan

#4 2018-12-04 00:12:31

aut0exec

ChuangTzu wrote:

User friendly is subjective.

So much truth... Every-time you ask someone why they don't use a Linux system: "It's not User Friendly"... Personally find the lack of a functional CLI in Windows to be very non-user friendly, lol. I digress...

Vargr - Depending on how much you tinkered around with older Mint, you may notice that Devuan works a lot like old Mint did! Devuan is great though. As ChuangTzu mentioned Devuan and Mint are both derivatives of Debian so you can typically get similar functionality! I'd suggest you test on a non-essential machine or even better a virtual machine though! Good luck and welcome to Devuan.

#5 2018-12-04 03:58:51

Ron

Hi Vargr, I've come over to Devaun from Mint also. It really isn't that hard. If you have questions, just post them here. This is a friendly forum.  smile

#6 2018-12-04 04:48:15

MiyoLinux

ChuangTzu wrote:

User friendly is subjective.  I, for example, find Devuan and Slackware very user friendly.  If you mean hold your hand through every little step of the way, giving you pats on the back for encouragement along with popups saying oops, then no Devuan is not that kind of user friendly.  For installing packages, it has apt/synaptic which you should be familiar with...for firewall, UFW is there

apt install ufw

then

ufw default deny

and

ufw deny ssh

(all as root). 

If you want to select just a few programs use the minimal/net installer and customize to your hearts content.  Remember, Ubuntu and Mint take from Debian so most can easily be replicated.  I mean after all if Ubuntu can do it, how hard can it really be.  smile

...and...

ufw enable

Check the status anytime with...

ufw status

wink

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-12-04 04:51:41)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#7 2018-12-04 18:12:25

Vargr

Appreciate the welcome, thanks everyone!

I just wanted to make that suggestion because I respect the (init)freedom philosophy Devuan undertakes.
So why not use some tools that might help increase user adoption?

http://www.ocsmag.com/2018/03/21/the-ma … -projects/

Dedoimedo is always eloquently hammering on that.

Regardless of what is available now I'll certainly make an effort on this migration.

#8 2018-12-04 21:44:45

ChuangTzu

ufw enable

Check the status anytime with...

ufw status

wink

[palmtoforhead/]  great catch... tongue

#9 2018-12-06 18:41:13

Vargr

Getting this error with the firewall:

Package ufw is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source

E: Package 'ufw' has no installation candidate

Firefox is still on v52.6, is there a way to update every software simultaneously? Something like the update manager on ubuntu.

apt-get update

Doesn't seem to work.

#10 2018-12-06 18:51:55

golinux
Administrator

Please post your sources.list

#11 2018-12-06 20:46:39

Vargr

That's the one located on /etc/apt right?

# 

# deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1]/ ascii main non-free

deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1]/ ascii main non-free

# A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following entries
# are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
# for your mirror of choice.
#
# deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-security main
# deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii-security main

#12 2018-12-06 21:03:21

golinux
Administrator

Please read this page:
https://devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list

You'll need to enable the correct repositories and comment the CDROM line.

and the Release Notes:
https://files.devuan.org/README.txt

And don't forget:

apt-get upgrade

after the update.

#13 2018-12-14 18:59:47

spartrekus

Vargr wrote:

Hello chaps,

Recently I found about systemd and started to consider migrating to a better OS. I've been using Mint since 2015, I'm not an advanced user but I get by just fine if there are good instructions around.
The great thing about Mint is the easy of use and install, but it was very disappointing to find that they barely want to discuss systemd alternatives.

So I started to try Devuan on a secondary system, I intend to ask about a few difficulties on other topics, but first I just wanted to know if there plans to make Devuan a bit more user friendly?

Antergos was a joy to install (despite requiring to be connected) that feature selection is great, having the choice to select a few programs and the firewall before installing is really helpful. Could a similar installer be used on Devuan?

Cheers

what about mx linux? pretty good

#14 2018-12-14 19:10:46

golinux
Administrator

@spartrekus . . . don't fall for the MX Linux systemd-free hype.  Explained here:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=12161#p12161

Board footer