The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-30 07:32:52

spacefft

[SOLVED] Slim login screen spans across 2 monitors as if one monitor

The SLiM login screen/dialog is displayed quite large, spanning across both the internal/laptop (LVDS-1) screen and external monitor (VGA-1) screen, as if both monitors are one (very large!) monitor:

• - the Username/Password dialog is displayed at the lower right corner of the LVDS-1 monitor (see picture 2 link below).

• - the last letter, ‘Z’, of ‘CrowZ’ is displayed centered, at the left-most edge of the VGA-1 monitor (see picture 3 link below)

During login, both monitors are automatically configured, resolution and position, by a script located in etc/X11/Xsession.d. The script basically runs the following xrandr command (only when the external monitor is connected):

xrandr --output LVDS-1 --mode 1024x768 --pos 1328x104 --rotate normal --output VGA-1 --primary --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --left-of LVDS-1.

resulting in a dual-head configuration with the external monitor screen (VGA-1) to the left of the laptop screen (LVDS-1) (same as physically arranged on office desk).

When the external monitor is NOT connected, the SLiM login screen/dialog is displayed as expected on the laptop screen; normal size/position with the login dialog at bottom-center as expected  (see picture 4 link below)..

If the laptop screen is closed, external monitor connected, the SLiM login screen/dialog is NOT shown on the external monitor, requiring blind-typing for username and password.

The boot screen always displays as expected, either on the laptop screen if open, or on external monitor screen if laptop screen is closed (see picture 1 link below).

Pictures...
    1. Boot Screen: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19smEJ … BgRynl4afK
    2. Laptop Screen: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aQBSM … Or3lVwgEVw
    3. External Monitor/Screen: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QtMpG … pz8bj4_qsc
    4. Normal Login Screen/Dialog: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Rn_l … yj1VRAKS8U

Though I don't need to boot/login often, but when I do this situation is VERY annoying and error prone (I'm not a good typist) as I usually keep the laptop screen closed, using only the external monitor.

I didn't have this problem with version 1.0.0 of Devuan/CrowZ on same system/hardware; laptop screen closed, SLiM login screen/dialog displayed properly on the external monitor.

The system works/performs very well once logged in - no issues with screens, system operation/performance, or applications. Really like Devuan/CrowZ...

I’m looking for some way to either run the above xrandr command prior to display of the SLiM login screen, or if there is some fix or config setting, to properly display the login screen on the external monitor – like with CrowZ v1.0.0.

In summary, I want to have the laptop screen closed and have the login screen/dialog displayed properly on the external monitor (VGA-1) screen..

Any help/ideas/fixes much appreciated! Thanks in advance...

System: Dell Latitude E6530 Laptop
Video: VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108GLM [NVS 5200M] (rev a1)
           VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Driver: nouveau

Distribution: Devuan/CrowZ Versions 2.0.0 (Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0.0 ASCIII)
Login Manager: SLiM
Window Manager: Openbox

Last edited by spacefft (2018-08-02 21:06:11)

#2 2018-07-30 14:33:10

golinux
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Slim login screen spans across 2 monitors as if one monitor

@spacefft . . . as this seems to be a CrowZ specific issue, I moved it to the derivatives forum.

#3 2018-08-01 00:30:34

spacefft

@golinux...

re: ...seems to be a CrowZ specific issue.

Appears that this issue isn't specific to CrowZ.

I just tested on fresh install of Devuan 2.0 - same issue with Devuan 2 as with CrowZ 2.

I also confirmed that this situation does not happen on the previous version of CrowZ I use daily - on boot, the login screen/dialog was immediately displayed as expected on the external monitor when the laptop screen is closed.

Both Devuan 2 and CrowZ 2 were fresh installed on same system. The older version, which works as I need, also installed this same system. (I'm  using 3 different SSD's - Devuan 2 on one, CrowZ 2 on 2nd, old CrowZ on (original) 3rd and swapping them for testing.)

So I believe this is an issue with Devuan...

Please consider moving it to another topic you feel is appropriate  - perhaps "Hardware & System Configuration" or "Desktop and Multimedia". I believe this will give more exposure to this issue and a better chance that someone knows a fix...  I'm hoping for a solution..!

Thank you for your assistance...

#4 2018-08-01 02:11:48

golinux
Administrator

I moved it back and removed CrowZ from the subject so more people might take a look.

#5 2018-08-01 03:53:40

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

This suggestion is really in the absence of real knowledge, that using slim I would think you can patch the default_server in /etc/slim.conf to be a script that starts the X server, and in addition spawns a delayed appropriate xrandr command. Perhaps something like the following:

#!/bin/bash
( sleep 2 ; xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto --same-as LVDS-1 ) &
exec /usr/bin/X11/X $*

Though, I'm pretty sure you'll need some xauth call as well, to import /var/run/slim.auth.

I'm also pretty sure there are better ways than this, and perhaps someone in the know will slide by eventually.

#6 2018-08-02 22:02:12

spacefft

First - thanks to: https://pastebin.com/SLn43gCd

and many thanks to lazlo for his message on 2017-10-29: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=5877#p5877

well partially solved that is - explained at end...

After more research I found a solution that meets my requirement - laptop lid closed, login screen/dialog displayed on external monitor at boot.

Using some GRUB commands/settings in /etc/default/grub - specifically:

modified the following:

- changed -

• GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

to

• GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet vga=normal nomodeset"

- added -

• GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video=VGA-1:1280x1024"

• GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video=LVDS-1:1600x900"

Now, with the laptop screen closed when booting, everything to do with boot is displayed only on the external monitor (VGA-1). The laptop monitor is inactive, basically off - no display when opened.

If the laptop screen is open when booting, everything to do with boot is displayed only on the laptop monitor (LVDS-1) and the external monitor is basically off.

NO 'spanning'...

why partial..?

With this solution there is no 'dual-head' operation. Either the laptop screen or the external monitor is active, the other is off.

So, for me this solution is satisfactory but probably not be for those requiring dual-head operation.

Last edited by spacefft (2018-08-02 23:36:54)

Board footer