The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-01-21 20:50:15

golinux
Administrator

Re: List of Devuan derivatives

Good grief.   Get a grip.  You are not the oracle of truth to anyone but yourself which is an audience of one.  Do you not have any place else to troll?

#52 2020-01-21 20:58:52

mckaygerhard
Website

take easy golinux .. the 3 winner are great work.. now i have a positive response from trinity desktop i recommended to talk in the irc with them.. both projects may improve their respective problems..

#53 2020-01-21 22:11:58

Ozi
Website

golinux wrote:

Good grief.   Get a grip.  You are not the oracle of truth to anyone but yourself which is an audience of one.  Do you not have any place else to troll?

+1

#54 2020-01-24 22:25:39

Tobyb1906

mckaygerhard is it nice on the planet you're from? Planet troll maybe.

That "dead" MIYO just made another release, about 6 months since the last one.
That's more frequent than other "dead" distros like Ubuntu Mint and Debian.

Last edited by Tobyb1906 (2020-01-24 22:28:13)

#55 2020-01-25 10:14:52

MiyoLinux

Tobyb1906 wrote:

mckaygerhard is it nice on the planet you're from? Planet troll maybe.

That "dead" MIYO just made another release, about 6 months since the last one.
That's more frequent than other "dead" distros like Ubuntu Mint and Debian.

wink Thanks Tobyb1906!  smile

mckaygerhard wrote:

MIYO - https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/ too minimized and does not featured nothing, currently dead now.. snif sniff

Oh dear! yikes  I wasn't aware that MiyoLinux was dead! Thanks for letting me know.

LOLOLOLOL!!! tongue

giphy.gif

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2020-01-25 10:49:57)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#56 2020-02-04 08:20:00

zephyr
Website

^ +1

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#57 2020-02-04 23:33:15

James1138

There is also "MiyoLinux" - https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/ which is based on Devuan Testing/Beowulf.  That is what I am running right now with XFCE desktop. The new release 2-1-2020.

#58 2020-02-05 10:11:21

MiyoLinux

James1138 wrote:

There is also "MiyoLinux" - https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/ which is based on Devuan Testing/Beowulf.  That is what I am running right now with XFCE desktop. The new release 2-1-2020.

Thanks James1138! You really "made it your own"! big_smile  wink

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#59 2020-02-05 21:50:45

ChuangTzu

Miyo, I don't think James realized you were "The Miyo".  smile

PS: I apologize if that shadow or cloak was intentional.  tongue

Last edited by ChuangTzu (2020-02-05 21:51:30)

#60 2020-02-06 08:46:40

MiyoLinux

ChuangTzu wrote:

Miyo, I don't think James realized you were "The Miyo".  smile

PS: I apologize if that shadow or cloak was intentional.  tongue

Sometimes, I don't know that I'm myself.  tongue

#61 2020-08-02 10:29:48

brocashelm

Refracta is just too damn good to pass up. I heard of Devuan back in January 2018 via Distrochooser (I wanted a Debian-based distro that respected me, and Devuan was ranked on top) and tried it from time to time, but could never get a feel for it. ASCII was just not that pleasant, due to metapackage inconsistencies.

Things finally took a sharp turn for the better with Beowulf, but I still felt that something was missing. That's when I decided to go with one off the list, and Refracta looked to be the most attractive derivative of them all. Right off the bat, it just worked for me. I liked that GUI text editors such as Geany were included, and rather than PulseAudio bullshit for sound, I got ALSA, which has NEVER failed on me, no matter what hardware problems were experienced.

I personally believe that Refracta is what the main Devuan should have been more like, since I just don't like Poettering shitware of any kind. Regardless, any of those derivatives will still take you straight to Devuan. It's a much looser distinction than, say, GNU/Linux Mint and Ubuntu (since they are both alike and unalike for different reasons).

#62 2020-10-14 18:05:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Not sure if this belongs here as it's not a derivative, strictly speaking, but Nitrux uses Devuan's repositories and has OpenRC as the service manager & PID1 (/sbin/openrc-init) so I thought it might be of interest to some.

I've only tried it in the live environment but it looks interesting, DistroWatch has a full review this week.

Unfortunately they're using pkgmaster.devuan.org in their sources but I've been on their Glitter chat room and told them about deb.devuan.org so hopefully they will change that before they bring down the main servers.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#63 2021-05-19 00:11:12

JSM
Website

After looking at all of the derivatives on the list and reading your posts ... I'll stick with the original Devuan. Why?

I could tell you now the life story of Siddharta Gautama, or that of St. Francis, or another. But maybe that would bore you? So I'm trying to make it shorter.

Linus Torvalds had seen something. He is a very intelligent man and he wants to give something to the world. It's okay that he got rich with it. Because he did a good job. Others have worked very badly in the same field and have become a lot richer than him! Why?

Because the others have built huge corporations and their only need is money. The thing about philanthropy is just a nice mask. And that's why these people can continue to earn a lot of money with a trash product. Keep your product together, make it the quais standard and the vast majority of people will buy it from you. As simple as that.

But Linus Torvalds didn't do it that way, because he knows what freedom is worth. People should come to Linux because it's better and because it's easy. Ok, better and easy!

Advise a Windows user to switch to Linux. He will tell you that Linux is complicated and that there are so many distributions that he doesn't know which one is right for him. Then you tell him which one you think is the right one. He then asks 3 other Linux users and they tell him 3 other stories. And then the Windows user stays where he is, with Windows, because there he doesn't have to decide, just pay.

How many distros are there? And how many are good? And how many are up to date? And how many have a future? And how many are easy? Nobody knows!

And what do we need? We need a very small one for very old hardware, 2-3 normal ones for daily home use, 1-2 for commercial purposes. The rest we can delete!

We have the very small ones, like TinyCore. We also have normal ones, Devuan, Debian, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, etc. And there are also commercial ones, for example Red Hat or openSUSE. Actually too many. Then there is the problem with systemd and probably also with OSS / alsa.

Let's choose a small one, 3 normal ones, and a commercial one and focus on these. With concentrated development power, we can easily oust Windows.

Is it freedom when everyone can make their own distro? And does it make sense and does it have a future? No, it just confuses and keeps users back on Windows. And it's not just Windows! These moneymaker networks are much larger. I took a quick look, one of the newest notebooks from hp has 16GB Ram! I can load my entire Linux, including all applications, into it.

It is not forbidden or bad to make money. But it's very bad if you deserve to fool people. And it's also very bad if you spend your money on bad things to fool even more people. This has nothing to do with capitalism or communism, but with normality or psychopathy!

Linus Torvalds is said to have been a geek in the past. At least that's what he says. But he educated himself, went to university and was successful with it. Bill Gates did it in a different way, because he's not normal. And we have to be careful that we don't have more and more people on Linux who are like Bill Gates and just want to do their own thing. Don't forget, it's about helping the world with a good heart. Linus Torvalds was and is not a "hacker", but a computer scientist with a solid education. And that's what we need, or one day Linux will become a "toy operating system" that will only be used by "geeks" who don't understand anything.

have a nice week!

#64 2021-05-19 09:53:16

Camtaf

With Linux, even with the standard live Devuan installed, my 2006 32bit laptop is still usable for all my daily tasks, as a normal user, & it only has 1GB ram! smile

#65 2021-05-19 16:29:30

dice
Website

JSM wrote:

Advise a Windows user to switch to Linux. He will tell you that Linux is complicated and that there are so many distributions that he doesn't know which one is right for him. Then you tell him which one you think is the right one. He then asks 3 other Linux users and they tell him 3 other stories. And then the Windows user stays where he is, with Windows, because there he doesn't have to decide, just pay.

hey you came to the right place, you accessed the hidden key, you entered through the forbidden door. You have arrived !!!!

now be at one with devuan!

#66 2021-05-31 06:14:36

zapper

Camtaf wrote:

With Linux, even with the standard live Devuan installed, my 2006 32bit laptop is still usable for all my daily tasks, as a normal user, & it only has 1GB ram! smile

Do you use jwm?

That is my new window manager of choice, its better than all the rest, i3-wm even... tongue

I love how lightweight it is and it still has keybindings, and autostart options, etc... smile

I am using 889M of ram right now using jwm with iceweasel-uxp's latest build, (had to compile from source though)

wink

This is my 64 bit hyperbola install though... on Devuan I bet it would be slightly more. 

I also now use jwm on my devuan gaming laptop too, and it works wonders. smile

Anywho I replied to your comment, because I was curious which window manager you were using to make that possible.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#67 2021-05-31 09:11:08

Camtaf

I'm literally just using the standard XFCE desktop install, & it works remarkably well, even using Firefox online isn't slow. smile

My preferred WM is Fluxbox, been using it for years. wink

#68 2021-06-02 02:32:26

zapper

Camtaf wrote:

I'm literally just using the standard XFCE desktop install, & it works remarkably well, even using Firefox online isn't slow. smile

My preferred WM is Fluxbox, been using it for years. wink

JWM is better imo, it is very lightweight for a window manager with a taskbar, that is feature complete, etc..  It was made from scratch,

so that is probably why I bet it is so light for a window manager.

I wonder if the 32 bit version of XFCE uses less ram and cpu then the 64 bit version of XFCE per the install I mean. :0

I just checked btw and palemoon + cbatticon, uses like 630mb on jwm on my deuvan install

Also strangely enough, I am using 700mb on my Hyperbola Install.  Although it also has a bunch of scripts in the background that my deuvan doesn't. redshift, is one such example.

It's very easy to modify the keybindings, I can always send you my config if you want.

If I do, look at it very clearly before using it.  wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#69 2021-06-02 09:14:38

Camtaf

I've used JWM, & yes, it is a good WM, (I have my sister using it wink ), but I like a clean desktop, & I get that from Fluxbox normally, I generally use a right click menu, I don't need a task bar, but it is only a thin one.

I've seen a test somewhere that compares most of the WMs, & there is only a few MBs difference between them, JWM, Fluxbox, & IceWM being at the low end, are fairly close in using resources. smile

XFCE has obviously looked into reducing its footprint somewhere along the way, as I can run Firefox on XFCE & only use somewhere just north of 600MB, which leaves me plenty to have a couple of tabs open - I very seldom use more at any one time.

#70 2021-06-03 21:48:23

zapper

Ah, what about cpu usage though?

I looked on AUR and saw it has the least required dependencies/ram usage of most window managers.

It would be very interesting if someone compared window managers with regard not to ram, but cpu usage to see which ones use the cpu the most.

JWM, i3 and dwm

Probably take that cake.

dwm being the one I would avoid without thinking at all. smile

That being said, I wonder if 32 bit operating systems consume more or less ram then 64 bit ones. 

I am not entirely sure, do you know?

Anyways, if you want to know my config, whisper me privately.

If you want my config that is...

It is more keybinding in most cases, alt f at same time triggers firetools, alt s at same time triggers sakura, stuff like that, and more! smile

Last edited by zapper (2021-06-03 21:52:17)

Peace Be With us All!

#71 2021-06-04 09:47:13

Camtaf

CPU usage is of little consequence to a normal desktop user. smile

Those that need good CPUs are those that use their resources heavily, like compiling software, complex graphics, CAD, etc.

#72 2021-06-05 09:53:55

zapper

Camtaf wrote:

Those that need good CPUs are those that use their resources heavily, like compiling software, complex graphics, CAD, etc.

That depends on your focus, My x230 which has deuvan on it has 8GB of ram, so if you wonder why I use a lightweight window manager and try to keep memory and cpu down, there is a reason.

It's called battery life!

wink

Peace Be With us All!

#73 2021-06-05 10:57:48

dice
Website

zapper wrote:
Camtaf wrote:

That depends on your focus, My x230 which has deuvan on it has 8GB of ram, so if you wonder why I use a lightweight window manager and try to keep memory and cpu down, there is a reason.

wink

and power consumption, having the computer draw a few extra watts can make a difference to the power bill if you are on the computer a lot.
What is the heaviest consumer of cpu in the linux desktop environment, im gonna say gnome?

#74 2021-06-05 11:25:03

zapper

dice wrote:
zapper wrote:
Camtaf wrote:

wink

and power consumption, having the computer draw a few extra watts can make a difference to the power bill if you are on the computer a lot.
What is the heaviest consumer of cpu in the linux desktop environment, im gonna say gnome?

Maybe Cinnamon even...

Although Cinnamon is based on Gnome, so... yeah, Gnome based Desktop Environments are pretty heavy.

KDE is heavy also,  Any DE that is not Lumina Desktop or LXDE is heavy in general though.

Also, any window manager as heavy as fluxbox or openbox or bigger. wink

And yes, power consumption is what I meant as a whole.

Peace Be With us All!

#75 2021-06-05 13:04:05

Camtaf

Ah, OK, battery life - now that is a different subject.... big_smile

Load to ram, so as not to use the hard drive, was one way to conserve battery power, & reducing screen brightness is another.

Board footer