The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-10 21:39:48

Carolina In My Mind

[SOLVED] is there not an ISO that doesn't immediately start the installer?

It's been at least a year since I tried Devuan, and before installing to try it again, I wanted to look around in a live environment. Assuming that was perfectly possible (I'm pretty sure that's what I did before), I downloaded the 64-bit desktop.iso and then set it up on a flash drive (for which I used the MX live-usb maker).

I found that the liveUSB takes me straight to the installer. Uh, did I download the wrong iso? The only others I find in https://files.devuan.org/devuan_excalib … aller-iso/ are the netinstall and what, from the filename, appears to be a server version (no?). I don't want to learn to netinstall at this time, and my computer isn't set up to be a server (if it even could be). I wanted to install "normally," but wanted to first look around and see what I would be getting. So are these the only options for your current version?

Last edited by Carolina In My Mind (2024-07-10 21:42:16)

#2 2024-07-10 23:23:22

golinux
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] is there not an ISO that doesn't immediately start the installer?

I seem to remember that there are no live Excalibur (testing) isos available but there will be after the freeze. Right now there are too many changes happening upstream to keep the live iso current.

#3 2024-07-10 23:33:56

GlennW

Hi, if you'd like to see a stable devuan system before you install, and be able to install from it...

try the current stable, use the "download" link at the top-right of this page, or use this link (file size 1 Gb).

https://files.devuan.org/devuan_daedalu … p-live.iso

If you insist on using the bleeding edge testing release you may encounter problems that require experience to resolve.

All the best.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2024-07-11 10:00:38

Carolina In My Mind

Oh! I actually did not realize that your latest release is bleeding edge and Daedalus is still entirely usable. I do not at all insist on bleeding edge; in fact I prefer stability. I'll go download Daedalus. Thank you.

#5 2024-07-13 05:55:49

GlennW

Glad to help. All the best!

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

Board footer