The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-18 18:01:24

torquebar

upgrade Chimaera with Daedelus?

After having had some issues with Chimaera on my AMD desktop I managed to recover a backed up disk image, got it updated and all is well. But progress is progress and rather than suffer through tweaking a new install I was just wondering if the Daedelus dvd can be used to upgrade a Chimaera system like Suse Tumbleweed can be updated from a dvd OR from the repos?

Who, has loved us more?

#2 2024-02-18 18:15:18

golinux
Administrator

Re: upgrade Chimaera with Daedelus?

Can't you just do it in a terminal? A disc shouldn't be needed for a dist upgrade. Or so I remember seeing on this forum. I have not done it myself that I can remember.

#3 2024-02-18 18:19:18

rolfie

When the PC is online on the internet, an update is easily done via the console, I have done it already without issues. Prepare yourself by reading the available documentation:
https://files.devuan.org/devuan_daedalu … _notes.txt
https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … o-daedalus
https://www.devuan.org/os/install

#4 2024-02-18 20:04:43

torquebar

Thanks for the helpfulness but that's not what I meant. I do online updating regularly. Can I boot with a Daedelus installation DVD to upgrade my Chimaera system? The only thing I've ever done with Devuan is Chimaera as it was the first one I ever installed and am still using it (except my laptop which has Daedelus). Or, if I update each of a  Chimara and a Daedelus system will they in fact both become the same for all intent and purpose? Suse installation DVD's give me a choive top install, upgrade, or boot into a rescue system but I haven't done three Devuan installs to remember what was offered.

--
my Devuan desktop: https://imgur.com/x2A9zHw.png

Who, has loved us more?

#5 2024-02-18 20:27:20

rolfie

The Daedalus DVD does allow to install Daedalus over Chimaera, its no upgrade. I am not aware of any easy way to use the DVD for the purpose of an upgrade. The DVD may be used as rescue system easily.

The upgraded Chimaera will be mostly like a newly installed Daedalus, except for specialities you may have installed and if you choose to keep the old configs. For sure you will have one or the other orphaned config or other remainders of older SW.
In some cases an upgrade will fail. The release notes usually give hints what to look for and what to pay attention to.

Last edited by rolfie (2024-02-18 20:29:01)

#6 2024-02-19 12:25:07

stopAI

Maybe it's not my thing, but I think the easiest way would be to do a clean install of Daedalus.

#7 2024-02-21 06:42:02

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

definitely a clean install is best. when i prepare and partition a new hdd/ssd i always reserve several partitions for future newer versions(or completely different operating systems). and they are always there if i need to use them for some temporary purpose. don't forget a bullet-proof back-up plan!

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#8 2024-02-21 13:51:25

UnixMan1230

While you cannot directly boot the CDROM and upgrade with it, you CAN upgrade your packages to a limited extent with it.
The following assumes you have the 4.5GB Desktop ISO, and that you have NOT added packages beyond what was available in Chimaera's Desktop ISO.

(I am putting this here in the hopes that others who look at this may find it helpful in some way)

Run the following:

sudo apt-cdrom add

from here, you will be prompted to insert the DVD into the DVD drive, at this point you should do so. If it is NOT on a DVD, but rather a flash drive, you need to open another terminal and run the following BEFORE proceeding further with apt-cdrom:

sudo mount /dev/(your usb) /media/cdrom 

if that directory does not exist, create it with:

sudo mkdir /media/cdrom

and then mount the usb. Go back to the terminal that has apt-cdrom running, and press enter.

By this point, apt-cdrom will likely register the CDROM. From here, do:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and ensure ALL Chimaera sources are disabled. After finishing with nano, and saving the new sources.list, run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

and look over what all will be upgraded and/or removed. If all looks good, you can press enter to proceed. From there, your system should upgrade, and once complete, a simple reboot will be sufficient to boot into your new Daedalus system.

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#9 2024-02-21 16:10:33

GlennW

Thanks Unixman1230, I'll definitely  try this soon.

One thing I've been doing for quite some time is backing-up /root, /boot and /etc to a folder in my home directory partition.

This allows me to reinstate any config files I have changed/customised.

Of course you will require a separate partition for /home and not format it during an install.

But this apt-cdom approach may alleviate that concern.

I have tried mounting iso's, but generally get an error about either no release file or checksums.

Thanks again.

Last edited by GlennW (2024-02-21 16:15:53)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#10 2024-02-22 01:12:01

UnixMan1230

@GlennW This is because you need to do one of two things, which I completely forgot to add to the above:

In order to NOT have issues with the untrusted CDROM source (Neither Debian nor Devuan can furnish release files in them, it would be pointless since they are static), you have to do one of the following...

When you update with apt, do

sudo apt update --allow-insecure-repositories

OR, alternatively, in /etc/apt/sources.list, change the cdrom entry from

deb cdrom_source_name daedalus main 

to

deb [trusted=yes] cdrom_source_name daedalus main

I hope this helps! It will not cover all of your packages if you installed something outside of the CDROM from chimaera, but even if you only use this in conjunction with internet access on the actual daedalus repos, it can STILL save you trouble by not having to waste bandwidth on the packages you already have stored on the CDROM.

I should also mention that the above about saving bandwidth is also applicable to the server and netinstall ISO's, you can use those too!

Last edited by UnixMan1230 (2024-02-22 01:14:44)

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#11 2024-02-22 21:55:38

GlennW

Thank you, saving bandwidth is precisely why I want to try it.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

Board footer