The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-28 13:11:02

Dev1User

First experiences and contact with Daedalus

So, I have already updated two computers from "chimaera" to "daedalus". There were actually no problems. Only I had problems with the Nvidia driver. In the end I decided to use the free driver after the installation, because sooner or later it would happen anyway. So far everything is running smoothly.

But there were some things that seemed strange to me and others:

During the update, a reference to "eudev" appeared. The names currently used are no longer used. Instead of "enp0s3" it will become "eth0" again. I had always had the old names and they are much easier to remember and read.

Shortly before finishing the installation, another message about "grub" appeared. The old path to grub is: /etc/default/grub. Now, however, the file is to be given a completely new directory and the name is also quite strange. New directory and name: /tmp/grub.eT2LnZEMv6. Who always comes up with such strange changes and names? The old names are much more logical. In any case, I left the old file and did not install the new one from the package maintainer.

I bet that in the newer "Excalibur" version of Devuan, this will go back to the old name, like the "eudev" thing.

Comparison between Chimaera and Daedalus:

If the Lan cable is not plugged into the PC, Chimaera starts just as quickly as if it were connected with a Lan cable. Daedalus, on the other hand, starts up extremely slowly without a LAN cable. It takes a few minutes for the system to boot up. It was similar with Beowulf.

All the previous versions always had newer themes and icons after the update. Daedalus has nothing of the sort. Somehow Daedalus doesn't really seem to be finished.

Also, the other operating systems were not recognized after installation. This was also the case with Arch Linux. But this could be solved quickly.

#2 2023-11-28 13:31:28

Camtaf

Re: First experiences and contact with Daedalus

Grub, by default, no longer looks for other operating systems....

#3 2023-11-28 15:49:54

golinux
Administrator

Dev1User wrote:

All the previous versions always had newer themes and icons after the update. Daedalus has nothing of the sort. Somehow Daedalus doesn't really seem to be finished.

Yes, there is a Daedalus "Sapphire" theme and it is in the repos. It should be the default with an Xfce install. You can also install from the files at  https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documenta … t/graphics .

That being said . . . beginning with Excalibur there will no longer be custom theming unless someone steps up to do it. The previous themes will remain in the repos/git until they no longer function properly with gtk3 "advances".

#4 2023-11-28 18:20:31

Dev1User

golinux wrote:

Yes, there is a Daedalus "Sapphire" theme and it is in the repos. It should be the default with an Xfce install.

I have now looked at lxappearance and obconf and indeed there is a theme there, that is called Clearlooks-Phenix-Sapphire. But the theme looks slightly different from the conventional Clearlooks theme. But under icons there is no Sapphire theme.

golinux wrote:

That being said . . . beginning with Excalibur there will no longer be custom theming unless someone steps up to do it. The previous themes will remain in the repos/git until they no longer function properly with gtk3 "advances".

And if there are no more user-defined themes in the future, then all we have left is Clearlooks ;-)

#5 2023-11-28 18:58:37

golinux
Administrator

Dev1User wrote:

But the theme looks slightly different from the conventional Clearlooks theme. But under icons there is no Sapphire theme.

That is because I reused the "Deep Sea" icon set from Chimaera with the "Sapphire" theme. wink

Dev1User wrote:

And if there are no more user-defined themes in the future, then all we have left is Clearlooks ;-)

All the previous customized Devuan themes including icons will still be available.

#6 2023-11-29 21:56:59

Dev1User

golinux wrote:

That is because I reused the "Deep Sea" icon set from Chimaera with the "Sapphire" theme. wink

Oh, I see. ;-)

golinux wrote:

All the previous customized Devuan themes including icons will still be available.

That's good news. :-)

Camtaf wrote:

Grub, by default, no longer looks for other operating systems....

I know that.
But what about the new Grub, which is in a new directory and has a new name. Does it recognize other operating systems by default?

#7 2023-12-03 23:10:03

Dev1User

To the graphics driver:

I initially opted for the free graphics driver. However, I have since realized that the font is not displayed so well on some websites. So I decided to install the Nvidia driver. "nvidia-detect" showed that I should install the driver: "nvidia-tesla-470-driver". The installation was actually problem-free, but in the end there was an error because "nvidia-persistenced" could not be installed. Even after restarting the computer, this remained unsuccessful. So I decided to uninstall this service from nvidia. This was crowned with success, because the "nvidia-persistenced - Service" could be deleted without any problems. Now Nvidia works without any problems.

Another problem that did not exist under Chimaera:

When starting the computer, the following is now written in several lines:

ima: error communicating to tpm chip

What is this error and how can I fix it? I did not have such an error under Chimaera.

#8 2023-12-03 23:35:39

GlennW

Hi, as for grub, we're using grub2 unless you change it. It just called grub, still.
I hated it at first, I was used to lilo and knew how to get around it.

I think that ima: error, has something to do with your systems sensors (TPM chip) for Trusted Platform Modules (etc)

that could be due to bios version, firmware updates (search that topic here at Dev1 for apt source list, it changed with Devuan Daedalus)

You may be able to switch it off in bios, but maybe required for M$Win OS's validity!

all the best.

Last edited by GlennW (2023-12-03 23:36:35)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#9 2023-12-04 05:47:59

aluma

We are forced to enable Intel TPM.
If you don’t want to enable it in the BIOS, you can simply turn off messages during boot.
In

/etc/default/grub

change

quiet splash

to

quiet loglevel=0 splash

and run

update-grub

https://linuxconfig.org/introduction-to … log-levels

Last edited by aluma (2023-12-04 05:55:40)

#10 2023-12-07 23:47:29

Dev1User

GlennW wrote:

I think that ima: error, has something to do with your systems sensors (TPM chip) for Trusted Platform Modules (etc)

that could be due to bios version, firmware updates (search that topic here at Dev1 for apt source list, it changed with Devuan Daedalus)

You may be able to switch it off in bios, but maybe required for M$Win OS's validity!

Maybe my PC doesn't have any TPM chips, I don't know. I looked in the bios and didn't find anything about TPM there.

Apparently TPM is only responsible for signing or something. So it's not really that important for a working old system.

When upgrading from Chimaera to Daedalus, I adapted my sources.list accordingly as prescribed by entering "contrib non-free non-free-firmware" after each line.

#11 2023-12-08 00:03:52

Dev1User

aluma wrote:

We are forced to enable Intel TPM.

But why is that?

aluma wrote:

If you don’t want to enable it in the BIOS, you can simply turn off messages during boot.
In

/etc/default/grub

change

quiet splash

to

quiet loglevel=0 splash

and run

update-grub

https://linuxconfig.org/introduction-to … log-levels

Okay, thanks for the advice to simply hide the notifications.
But I'll rather leave the notifications to stay informed ;-)

#12 2023-12-08 08:58:53

aluma

Until now, TPM was turned off by default.
Apparently the developers decided to fix this.

On my laptop I enabled TPM in the BIOS, the messages disappeared, nothing bad happened yet. smile

#13 2023-12-08 23:47:41

Dev1User

aluma wrote:

Until now, TPM was turned off by default.
Apparently the developers decided to fix this.

On my laptop I enabled TPM in the BIOS, the messages disappeared, nothing bad happened yet. smile

Okay. :-)

Board footer