The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-16 23:15:31

sneed4feed

Changes to the network manager after upgrading to Chimaera

Not really an issue but more of a complaint.
Today I decided to upgrade from Beowulf to Chimaera doing everything as I was told to from the official site and guide: https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … o-chimaera
Afterwards I restarted my PC only to find my wireless connection wasn't working anymore. As it turns out, wicd gets removed during the upgrade process and if you don't have another network manager installed you're fucked if you don't know that you have to manually edit Network-Manager's config and change managed=false to true under the [ifupdown] section before using something like nmcli to manually connect to the wifi network.
Had I not had a phone capable of connecting to the internet to help troubleshoot the issue I would have been stuck without an internet connection on my PC, it might be worth noting this kind of stuff on the upgrading guide.

#2 2022-02-17 01:06:47

golinux
Administrator

Re: Changes to the network manager after upgrading to Chimaera

Always read the Release Notes and you won't get caught like that again.  That issue was listed in the Index right at the top of that document.  So yeah, it was noted by Devuan . . .

Hope things go better now that you've got that sorted . . .  smile

Edit: I have suggested that a link to the Release Notes be added to the top of that install guide on the website.  Good that you caught that. Thanks.

#3 2022-02-17 06:48:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Changes to the network manager after upgrading to Chimaera

sneed4feed wrote:

you're fucked if you don't know that you have to manually edit Network-Manager's config and change managed=false to true under the [ifupdown] section

That would only be true if the wireless device was listed in /etc/network/interfaces. And if the device was listed there then it would connect with ifupdown. I can only presume that your configuration in /etc/network/interfaces was incorrect (perhaps outdated?) because otherwise the wireless connection would work just fine even without wicd installed and without NM controlling the interface.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer