The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-16 21:53:02

bimon

Tried to add a printer manually and it did not work for me.

I have another Debian Wheezy host with an old HP LJ 1000W printer connected to it.

I tried a CUPS wizard to add this printer as an IPP printer, but it did not work.

Then I have discovered following command:

lpadmin -p LaserJet -E -v ipp://x.x.x.x:631/printers/HP_LaserJet -m everywhere

and it created the printer which works from GUI programs like text editors.
After sending a document a Trinity popup appears which still indicates an error, but then the document is printed on the network printer anyway.

Please note: my workstation is running Devuan ASCII dist-upgraded to the backports.

Following commands used to install drivers on both CUPS server and client:

apt-get install printer-driver-foo2zjs hpijs-ppds hannah-foo2zjs                                                                                                                                                                                                               
apt-get purge hplip hplip-cups  hplip-data  hplip-doc      

CUPS on the server always worked for sure even since I had another Debian on my workstation a few years ago.
And also opening its IP in the browser and directing to print a test page from CUPS web interface works fine.

Last edited by bimon (2021-01-16 21:58:21)

#2 2021-01-16 22:01:09

golinux
Administrator

Re: Tried to add a printer manually and it did not work for me.

There is no such thing as "dist-upgrade to the backports".  Perhaps that is the root cause of your many malfunctions.  You may never unravel that hairball that you have created.

#3 2021-01-16 22:04:05

bimon

Re: Tried to add a printer manually and it did not work for me.

apt-get dist-upgrade -t=ascii-backports

Actually I always treated my HP 1000W printer config as a magic for myself. It was relatively difficult to do even in Debian without backports.
I am almost sure nothing changes if I downgrade from backports back to the updates and security.

Last edited by bimon (2021-01-16 22:06:50)

Board footer