The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-01 14:32:14

ismohaa
Member
Registered: 2018-08-17
Posts: 7  

Permission problems on Beowulf after Ascii upgrade

When upgrading Ascii to Beowulf I've run in to some annoying permissions issues, which seem to be related to polkit. Things like shutdown/reboot are missing from the KDE exit menu (only logout is available). Opening USB drives craps out because of insufficient permissions, network manager doesn't work properly, et.c.

I've tried manually adding polkit rules to /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d but it only seems to work intermittenly/randomly (and should of course not be necessary in the first place)

I've run in to this same issue on two separate machines that I've updated from Ascii to Beowulf. The first installation was so bare bones that I just nuked it and installed a fresh Beowulf (which no longer had the issues) but the other one has enough stuff on it that I *really* don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to, so some pointers would be appreciated. Given that I've experienced this issue on two separate machines so far, I doubt I'm the only one having this problem.

Not sure if it's related, but there is a held back update for libpolkit-qt5-1-1, that refuses to install because of a systemd dependency...

Offline

#2 2021-01-01 14:57:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,542  
Website

Re: Permission problems on Beowulf after Ascii upgrade

Is the elogind package installed?

And please post actual, verbatim error messages rather than vague descriptions. Thanks.


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#3 2021-01-01 18:47:57

ismohaa
Member
Registered: 2018-08-17
Posts: 7  

Re: Permission problems on Beowulf after Ascii upgrade

Is the elogind package installed?

# dpkg -l | grep elogind
rc  elogind                                                     234.4-2                             amd64        user, seat and session management daemon
rc  libpam-elogind:amd64                                        234.4-1+devuan1.5                   amd64        elogind PAM module

...So it looks like it has been installed, but for some reason removed (during the upgrade?) Trying to install it, results in this, though...

The following additional packages will be installed:
  libelogind0 libpam-elogind libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt-file apt-listchanges apt-utils aptitude audacious audacious-plugins chromium consolekit dolphin gimp
  gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio gwenview k3b kaffeine kde-baseapps kde-plasma-desktop khelpcenter
  kinfocenter kio-extras konqueror konsole krita ktorrent kwin-common kwin-x11 libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg-perl
  libasound2-plugins libasound2-plugins:i386 libcanberra-pulse libfluidsynth1 libgegl-0.4-0 libgimp2.0
  libkf5khtml-bin libkf5khtml5 libkf5notifyconfig5 libmikmod-dev libmikmod3 libokular5core8 libpam-ck-connector
  libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0 libpulse-dev libpulse0:i386 libpulsedsp
  libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5multimediagsttools5 libqt5multimediaquick5
  libqt5multimediawidgets5 libsdl-gfx1.2-5 libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
  libsdl-net1.2 libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-0 libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386
  libsystemd0 libsystemd0:i386 libwine libwine:i386 lvm2 mplayer okular openjdk-8-jre packagekit packagekit-tools
  pavucontrol plasma-desktop plasma-discover plasma-pa plasma-workspace playonlinux powerdevil pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-utils pysolfc python-apt python-pygame python3-apt python3-reportbug python3-software-properties
  qml-module-qtmultimedia reportbug software-properties-common software-properties-kde systemsettings
  unattended-upgrades vlc wine wine32:i386 wine64

Um... Removing all of those packages will definitely break my system to complete sh*t. Why would that happen? What has gimp ever done to elogind?

And please post actual, verbatim error messages rather than vague descriptions. Thanks.

Would love to, but unfortunately it's mostly about broken functionality, rather than actual error messages. The clearest one is the missing "shut down" and "reboot" options in KDE. When you click the "shutdown" symbol, you expect to get a a few options (shutdown, reboot, hibernate, log out, et.c.) but the only option available is "log out". Running the following as a non-root user will result in a "Not authorized" respose, indicating that polkit permissions are to blame:

$ pkcheck --action-id org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop --process $$ -u --enable-internal-agent
Not authorized.

Offline

#4 2021-01-01 20:41:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,542  
Website

Re: Permission problems on Beowulf after Ascii upgrade

Looks like the upgrade hasn't gone through properly so you have a FrankenDevuan at the moment, hence the dependency issues.

You should probably tell us exactly how you went about upgrading your system.

I would use this method:

# sed -i 's/ascii/beowulf/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt update
# apt upgrade
# apt full-upgrade

But I'm very lazy so you should read the release notes and do it properly.

For elogind if the full-upgrade doesn't install it then try

# aptitude install elogind

^ That should offer several potential solutions so go through them all (keep refusing until it tells you there are no other options) and select the best one.


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#5 2021-01-01 21:25:55

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,171  

Re: Permission problems on Beowulf after Ascii upgrade

Also please look at the upgrade instructions if you haven't already.

Offline

Board footer