The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-04 16:37:09

anon.123

debian buster packages broke my system

Hello. Novice user here. Devuan ASCII on Mini Pc Gigabyte Brix Core I3

I was wondering about Krita and its unstable, random crashes on my computer. When i used krita, it would randomly crash without error messages. I didn't try to debug it.

So i tried to upgrade krita to from 1.3.1 to 1.4.1 (debian versioning system, as krita actually says it is at version 3.1.1 )
I've done it by editing /etc/apt/sources.list  putting debian buster repo, then update, then install one dependency of krita ( libglx0 i think ).
Afterwards, after a reboot, the system no longer logs into startx
Do you have an idea on how to fix this?

I tried with apt-get dist-upgrade

Are the incompatibilities between devuan and debian so profound that i cannot upgrade a single package by using debian repo?

Last edited by anon.123 (2019-08-04 16:40:21)

#2 2019-08-04 17:37:46

golinux
Administrator

Re: debian buster packages broke my system

Debian repos are already available in Devuan repos via redirect.  Debian repos should never be used directly.  Did you look for krita in ascii backports?   You likely have created a frankendevuan.  I am not one to help you out of the hole you're in.  But I imagine a reinstall might be the only way out of this or possibly an upgrade to beowulf (which isn't really ready for primetime yet).

#3 2019-08-04 17:39:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

anon.123 wrote:

I tried with apt-get dist-upgrade

Oh dear sad

If you ran (and accepted) that command with buster in your sources then you've upgraded your ASCII system using Debian buster, which doesn't sound good at all.

If you can install the apt-show-versions package then check the output of this command to see the extent of the damage:

apt-show-versions | grep '/buster'

You could try an emergency downgrade: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi … owngrading

But I think restoring your system from a clean backup (ie, one made before you polluted your sources) is probably the best course of action.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2019-08-05 02:44:19

anon.123

I am reinstalling everything. Not a big issue because the devuan install was recent (~10 days ago).

i could still log in through command line, without startx. I saved everything and reinstalled devuan. This time from netinstall*
Krita and everything is going fine so far.

*because i believe it upgrades packages while installing, instead of the offline installer which lags slightly in terms of package versions, which in return would help me with the krita issue hopefully

Board footer