The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-03 17:19:51

Roger
Website

It works!

Faced with a Debian upgrade to 9.9, including a kernel upgrade to 4.9.0-9, I decided it was time to convert the first of my two "production" machines to Devuan. The whole process was easy and painless, and took no more time than the Debian upgrade would have. There were 72 upgraded packages, and 7 new ones to give a final total of 911. My concerns about possible changes to packages that require some tricky customized configuration were unfounded.

Everything works as before, and I am very impressed with the way the Devuan system is maintained and documented. My congratulations to the maintainers.

#2 2019-05-03 18:39:44

golinux
Administrator

Re: It works!

Thanks for the happy news.  big_smile

#3 2019-05-06 18:30:05

Roger
Website

Re: It works!

A follow-up for those who might be concerned about possible problems with transition; there are none. My second machine is now running Devuan ascii with the 4.9.0-9-amd kernel; it is the web-server, and any misgivings I might have had about apache2 were unfounded. The only interruption to the half hour process was apt-get dist-upgrade terminating "unable to fetch some archives." The suggested repetition of the command worked to completion, and I suspect a network or server glitch.

Board footer