The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 Re: Off-topic » YouTube-"The UNIX Philosophy: The Rule Modern Linux Forgot" » 2026-09-17 21:42:14

ovi

No, is not about you think. Is about some general principles. Is true, for a software developer they make a lot of sense. But the beauty of these principles is that you can take them out from the computer/tech world and apply them in the real world. "Do one thing and do it well", that's the most known one. It tell so much. I haven't seen in my life a boss that understand this phrase smile. If you want to undermine yourself in front of your boss, say this phrase smile. You complain that you don't have enough space in your wardrobe: remove, remove, remove. When you'll look for your special shirt, you will find it easy. Modularity: while you have small kids buy cheap and modular furniture so you can replace easily after your kids are having fun smile.

#2 Off-topic » YouTube-"The UNIX Philosophy: The Rule Modern Linux Forgot" » 2026-09-17 19:56:17

ovi
Replies: 9

I don't usually recommend videos, but this one is so good I just have to share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmmsdT93ils

#3 Re: Documentation » An unofficial Guide to runit on Debian-derived distros (version 2) » 2026-09-14 20:06:42

ovi

@Mercury
I started a small documentation project for Devuan and I added content, is far for being done, but is having a shape now. I think your guide fits very well there. You can contribute if you want. I designed the site in such a manner that can support sections and subsection recursively , with only one Hugo command. The content is in md files, easy to write, no html needed. I haven't thought to other contributors yet. I can do a documentation how to add new content there. There is a pattern which I have to describe, but is very easy to add new content. I can do at the end of the week if you would like to add your guide also there.

Here is my Devuan project:
https://git.devuan.org/ovi/devuan-knowledge_base

I added what I had on my notes text files and my purpose is to be a generic information and maybe what people would general use.

#4 Re: Installation » [SOLVED] Freia Unable to Detect Network Hardware » 2026-09-08 20:22:41

ovi

Seems that WI-FI chip was released around May 2024. Maybe Excalibur firmware is too old for this chip. Not having an Ethernet port,  RecklessEpoch depends on the ISO to install Devuan. Calamity has right, is such a stupidity how the modern consumers laptops are done. I could find the firmware-mediatek in the firmware-nonfree repo on Freia.

#5 Re: Installation » Test report Freia netinstall 20260819 » 2026-09-07 18:30:07

ovi

Thank you Andre4freedom for your answer.

Back to strange characters in the terminal, I installed foot terminal and output looks normal: no weird characters. Maybe is related to the xfce4-terminal it self, or xfce4-terminal in a Wayland session. Otherwise, everything looks great from my personal perspective smile

#6 Re: Installation » Test report Freia netinstall 20260819 » 2026-09-07 09:02:27

ovi

I see some strange characters in the terminal (I use xfce4-terminal). I can't remember if I saw them since I run Freia on a VM.

screenshot

I haven't tried with another terminal. I usually have only one installed.
One question, please, regrading the forum usage. Can I attach images from my local storage to a post?

#7 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » syslog-ng will replace rsyslog as default logging system? » 2026-09-04 22:33:54

ovi

What is missing are the desktop files

No, sorry I was wrong. The desktop files are in

 /usr/share/applications 

I have copied them in ~/.local/share:

$ cp /usr/share/applications/mate-*.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/

And I removed this setting from the file:

OnlyShowIn=MATE;

And now I can find them in my wofi menu. Probably for Desktop environments the desktop file should be changed in another way.

#8 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » syslog-ng will replace rsyslog as default logging system? » 2026-09-04 21:19:15

ovi

mate-utils provides other tools as well: mate-screenshot, mate-search-tool, mate-dictionary, mate-system-log and mate-disk-usage-analyzer. The package doesn't require Mate DE, maybe they work everywhere. Excluding mate-screenshot all tools work also on Wayland. I uses labwc and if it works for me, so I think they should work everywhere. I suppose mate-system-log was done back in the days when systemd wasn't adopted, yet?
What is missing are the desktop files, but running them from the CLI work.

#9 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » syslog-ng will replace rsyslog as default logging system? » 2026-09-04 19:59:09

ovi

It doesn't seem to be a big difference between them for a basic use, at least for a local logging. I did some small changes for rsyslog config: I log errors in a separate errors.log file (I seen this on Void Linux Socklog, is as default), changed the default timestamp to local time and a more friendly date format. But I see that syslog-ng is already configured like this smile.

It works with mate-system-log as displayer.

I didn't know there is such a log viewer. I searched for one on the internet but haven't found a simple one, most of them are commercial products for complex use cases.

#10 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » [SOLVED] tomtomgo navigation device » 2026-09-04 19:37:03

ovi

I also have a  TomTom Navigation. Is one of the reasons I still need a Windows system and dual-boot. I need MyDrive Connect to update the device. I don't know if is possible in Linux, but is not easy I think.

#11 Hardware & System Configuration » syslog-ng will replace rsyslog as default logging system? » 2026-09-01 15:13:43

ovi
Replies: 8

I have installed Freia (devuan_freia_7.0-202608191935_amd64_netinstall.iso) in a Virtual Machine and I noticed that syslog-ng  is installed by default instead rsyslog. syslog-ng will replace rsyslog as default logging in the future ?

#12 Re: Off-topic » Show your desktop (rebooted) » 2026-08-29 23:09:09

ovi

I was thinking to revive this thread smile

Used XFCE since I start using Linux systems. I discovered labwc at the end of last year. Meanwhile I tried Openbox, but labwc feels more modern smile. So, labwc with waybar (as 2 bars), wofi and standard wayland components, in general.

labwc-devuan
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/px1sha.png

#13 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » [SOLVED] GRUB_TIMEOUT is being ignored » 2026-08-09 17:02:53

ovi

Yeah, seems to be true regarding  GPUs and LED/LCD screens. On laptop displays can be seen exactly the countdown, there is no lag in between. On my desktop with labwc configured with swayidle it takes couple of second to wake up from power save mode. I have 2 modern monitors (Lenovo Legion 24 and HP Z24n G3) and the HP usually takes about 5-6 seconds to wake-up, and sometimes is annoying. Not sure, but Wayland might also be to blame. libs wlroots are now on 0.18 on repos, but meanwhile they released 0.2 which might have some improvements in this direction. On my Laptop(a HP, 8 years old), with same software configuration, waking up the laptop's display from power save mode is almost instant. Not sure with a monitor connected, I have to try.

#14 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » [SOLVED] GRUB_TIMEOUT is being ignored » 2026-08-08 11:36:07

ovi

I think is the GPU that takes some seconds to switch modes, signal over HDMI/DisplayPort. So the true value of 20 secs is respected.
If I unplug one of my monitors, it doesn't show me anything, no boot menu, a blank screen until I found that Devuan is started. I have a new GPU: AMD RX 9060 XT, 16GB. I didn't have such issues with my old AMD 4GB card. So, if I have my both monitors switched on I have the boot menu. I'll leave like this, and maybe I will found out a reason sometime.

#15 Re: Hardware & System Configuration » [SOLVED] GRUB_TIMEOUT is being ignored » 2026-08-08 11:00:09

ovi

I just found something interesting. So, I reinstalled my system (anyway I have replaced my old GPU card) and just after Devuan was installed, on the first boot, without doing anything else I have set the timeout to 20 seconds:

 cat /etc/default/grub
# If you change this file or any /etc/default/grub.d/*.cfg file,
# run 'update-grub' afterwards to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in these files, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`( . /etc/os-release && echo ${NAME} )`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# If your computer has multiple operating systems installed, then you
# probably want to run os-prober. However, if your computer is a host
# for guest OSes installed via LVM or raw disk devices, running
# os-prober can cause damage to those guest OSes as it mounts
# filesystems to look for things.
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

And after rebooting the real timeout was not 20 seconds but 15 seconds!!!. So, when I tried first time setting to 10 seconds, if I follow same logic then 5 seconds was correct. But this happens on Dualboot with Windows.
I have changed also on my laptop, where I run only Devuan, to 8 seconds and that 8 seconds were respected as configured.

I don't know why is like this on Dual-boot with Windows. Maybe is by design? Is not first time when I dual boot with windows, but I can't remember that behavior.

I used in the past grub-customizer and didn't have any issues. But indeed, it doesn't add any real benefit and maybe can be problematic in some cases. I didn't know. Thanks for the info!

#16 Hardware & System Configuration » [SOLVED] GRUB_TIMEOUT is being ignored » 2026-08-07 22:15:07

ovi
Replies: 7

I dualboot Devuan with Windows 11. I want to increase the GRUB_TIMEOUT from default 5 sec. to 10 sec.
But it doesn't make any effect, is still 5 sec.

$ cat /etc/default/grub
# If you change this file or any /etc/default/grub.d/*.cfg file,
# run 'update-grub' afterwards to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in these files, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT="0"
GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`( . /etc/os-release && echo ${NAME} )`"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# If your computer has multiple operating systems installed, then you
# probably want to run os-prober. However, if your computer is a host
# for guest OSes installed via LVM or raw disk devices, running
# os-prober can cause damage to those guest OSes as it mounts
# filesystems to look for things.
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="false"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
#GRUB_TERMINAL="console"

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE/GOP/UGA
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `videoinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE="1920x1080"

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true"

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/gigabyte/theme.txt"

I did:

$ sudo update-grub

to update the /boot/grub/grub.cfg

And is strange because if I look into /boot/grub/grub.cfg  it seems the timeout is set to 10 sec.

if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=30
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=menu
    set timeout=10
  # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
  # unavailable.
  else
    set timeout=10
  fi
fi

I also installed grub-customizer and installed a theme, but is the same. Is still 5 secs, even also the grub-customizer shows that the timeout is set to 10 seconds.

#17 Re: Installation » [SOLVED] Installation Problem after selecting Language and Country » 2026-07-30 13:45:51

ovi

You can check this thread. There is a link to an ISO. You can try with that ISO. It worked for me.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=7980
And use Balena Etcher for the USB boot media. It works just fine in Linux and Windows. With Rufus didn't worked for me.

#18 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-22 20:38:27

ovi

So, to conclude and close this post, I have created for myself a Gitea account on Devuan Git Store and published the project there:
https://git.devuan.org/ovi/devuan-knowledge_base

I will try to bring it to an usable form, in time. I have in mind users like me, that are new to Linux and Devuan especially, or migrated from another distribution and that want to know more about the Devuan Operating System, in general.
I know that Devuan has its own wiki, but it just doesn't fit for my project idea and also I don't like it, to be honest.

There are many good, general topics inside the forum that can have place in my devuan-knowledge_base. I will look for them and add them there.

So, who knows, maybe over one, two years if somebody from Devuan team consider that the content make sense for the general public, the repo will be always there.Just take the public folder, correct, throw away what is unecessary and that's all.
If somebody wants to have a look time to time, criticize, add corrections, ideas, etc. I would be glad to hear them. Is only one package to install.
But not so soon smile, there is nothing inside yet, just a sketch with some blank pages.

Finally, my strong opinion is that any good product needs to have a simple HandBook, accessible to anyone.

#19 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-21 23:04:43

ovi

I don't know if gitea has the same ability to make a page like that for a wiki of sorts,

It has, since 2023 and it got better with last versions. I could do the same as GitHub pages do, using gitea. I played around in a Virtual Machine. I used nginx as a webserver, gitea (1.27 and then 1.25), hugo, and nodejs. Also is needed a runner from the gitea site that does the whole job. The process is very simple: just commit and push on gitea, then on Gitea Server the runner is launching hugo that generates the pages and copies on the web server location the generated html files. Is really nice for static web pages, in general.

#20 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-19 18:07:37

ovi

No problem. English is not my native language. so.. I don't know if this kind of punishment is still a practice, but it was, indeed smile.
Is getting late on my part of the world and soon will be Monday (job, kids, family and so on...)
Thanks again for your answers!

#21 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-19 16:31:46

ovi

It depends. Some things can start and die in corner and is better this way, or they can grow and go where it belongs, or it stays always as a corner with its own value, or maybe the place that it belongs think that it should change and adopt the good sides of the corner. A corner doesn't hurt anyone; it may or may not be there.
There are many possibilities for a corner smile

#22 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-19 08:27:17

ovi

By the way, if you you are interested in eventually contributing to the official Devuan wiki,

I haven’t thought so far, not now. In the beginning I just want to have my own corner of internet first, use something quick as Hugo static site generator. Hugo, has its own learning curve, more work is on creating the skeleton, but then the content are just simple md files, so the content creator (to say so) can focus on the content it self, not on the html/css, linking pages and so on.

I see that Devuan wiki is using PmWiki and I think it has also kind of translator from md files in their own format. So, who knows, maybe in the future I would be glad to have my information stored in the Devuan Wiki. But today, I have nothing more than a foundation to add my notes and publish them, no valuable content. Maybe, in the end my content is just a garbage that doesn’t have a place in an official wiki.

I use labwc (the OpenBox replacement in Wayland). They have their wiki on GitHub pages. And is pretty good as a content. That’s why I was thinking on  GitHub pages.

But, before anything else, I need first the agreement of Mr. Denis Roio (jaromil) as Mr. Ronnquist advised and the content it self. Then, for hosting Calamity suggested some variants. But then will see, still is a long way. But I know where to start.

For sure I will have technical questions for my small wiki, and I will ask them, here, on the forum.

Thank you all for the support!

#23 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-18 23:08:47

ovi

@greenjeans

Yeah that's why I don't use github. I don't know if gitea has the same ability to make a page like that for a wiki of sorts, but I post my stuff to git.devuan.org which now that i've gotten to understand it better is very user-friendly, and no worries about evil. wink

Did a quick research, I think gitea can do as well. Thank you greenjeans!

#24 Re: Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-18 22:45:00

ovi

First, Thank you for your response!

I know that Mr. Denis Roio (jaromil) is an important person in the Devuan project. I didn't know exactly his role.
I started this more like a personal project, first time when I did a site by myself and I choose github from the technical point of view: is simple, free as long as the repository is public, it has all the needed infrastructure to run such a small project and I don't know anything about hosting smile. Yes, in the end maybe is not the best idea to host it there. Still, I am happy that my test succeeded, in the end and I saw that can be done. Now I made the repo private and the site is offline.
I wouldn't abandon my idea. I still think a small handbook for Devuan will be useful, for myself sure it is. Probably I will try to contact Mr. Roio.

#25 Documentation » My Devuan-Knowledge base (unofficial) on Github Pages. Few Questions » 2026-07-18 15:15:21

ovi
Replies: 14

[context]
About two weeks ago somebody created this post:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=8078
And I had a small comment saying that Void Linux has a small, valuable handbook and would be nice if Devuan would have something similar.

I haven't touched any html/css code for years, and also my knowledge is very limited. But now there are new tools (such Hugo which I learned and use it, plus AI smile ) to help building such a site.

So, I succeeded doing the skeleton and just published to Github pages. There is no valuable content, yet. My Linux/Devuan knowledge is, let's say, decent, but what I have and what I will learn during my journey of using Devuan, I would like to have it also in this format and make it public. I like the Void handbook and I will try to stick to their concept, without having just a clone.

Here is the link:
https://chitibus.github.io/devuan-kb/intro/about_site/

[My questions]
Now, I was wondering if I am allowed to do this, if I am allowed to use the Devuan Logo on my site, for example?
My site specify that is an unofficial site.
How much information can I take from Devuan site, if I am allowed?
I don't know too much about licensing, so I was thinking that is better to ask here.
If my intention is considered inappropriate, then I will delete the Github repository.

Board footer

Forum Software