The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-17 14:52:11

Nili
Website

Devuan Ascii - NETINST ISO Size

Forgive me for this question but I am obliged to do it to take out my curiosity

What have been changed or added that weight of NETINST ISO? has moved to 70MB more than Jessie? I have no problem with weight, but my concern is things that are inside. So, i want to know what's the difference of

Jessie-ISO

devuan_jessie_1.0.0_i386_NETINST.iso               24-May-2017 00:16    267M

to Ascii-ISO

devuan_ascii_2.0.0-beta_i386_NETINST.iso           13-Feb-2018 11:58    340M

What other support are added, Wayland, Vulkan, GTK3 with those 70MB?
Personally I would like a Devuan ISO 100MB where i can build it myself. 340MB is more heavy than LinuxBBQ, antiX or other minimal distro those two are almost completed distro.

antiX core is only 156.00 MB. NETINST Devuan is core too but 340MB?

If this trend is ever in growing, for me it is not as minimal as it is said. I have a doubt that a python 3 is added, because i remember when i tried Debian stretch month ago was set, maybe i am wrong on Devuan Ascii. No problem with python3 but we're on minimal ISO, if i want something enough to install myself. I think some packages are better to be forced set as rec instead of dep. Or, maybe it's the Debian way to blame for the fat ISO on each release.

You are doing wonderful works preventing many unrighteous things, i am glad to use Devuan Jessie.
A lighter ISO it would be fantastic and ideal.

Thank you!
Best regards!

Nili

Last edited by Nili (2018-02-17 14:54:28)

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#2 2018-02-17 16:07:56

coyote

Re: Devuan Ascii - NETINST ISO Size

Probably firmware-non-free (but it's not 100%)?

#3 2018-02-18 22:13:27

greenjeans
Website

It starts with the kernel, which is 25 mb larger than the 3.16 kernels.

Continues with larger packages for firmware, drivers, X, etc. etc.

Next, it's important to understand that not everything on that iso is going to be installed when you build your system, there's LOTS of things you won't use. Using grub? Then you won't need lilo which is available on the disk, lots of other examples of this.

Want a 100 mb install iso? You can maybe build one if it's a CLI-only builder iso you want, but it will take some work for sure, I would abandon the netinstall idea and just roll up your own using Refracta-Snapshot.

Use the netinstall iso, do not install any DE's or printer support etc, once installed a lot of stuff will go bye-bye on it's own, then purge any other stuff you don't want, install Refractasnapshot and Installer + depends, clear out the cruft and squash you a nice lightweight base iso. wink

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#4 2018-02-19 09:00:11

Nili
Website

Thanks for the explanation that i expected greenjeans.

Thought what they're for? fortunately not pulse, gtk3 or other undesirables imposed by force from Debian campus.
That's good for me.

Quite right when you say, not everything can be installed if we don't want. So we keep the weight under control.
Kernel 4.9 (stretch) can't have the same size as 3.16 (jessie) after so many years. So the size changes is understandable.

In fact, I had imagined a few possibility but I doubted, so I asked smile

I prefer to install the CLI WAY during installation (old method of advanced).
I never select anything on the tasksel. I use startx, window manager and other individual tools required to start and use.

Maybe it's time to look at Refracta-Snapshot to check what can i do with it. Thanks!
I will try to take a look for Devuan Ascii.

You've given me the answers and the suggestions i wanted to know.
Thank you for finding time for me.

All the best,
Regards!

Nili

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

Board footer