You are not logged in.
Hello,
I've installed xsane to scan a document with Canon Lide 210 scanner. No driver is required for this scanner that is listed as a Sane supported device.
With Debian Trixie, I am able to use the scanner with the standard user, without manual udev customization and without permissions issues.
With Devuan Excalibur, the scanner is listed only with the root account and I need to manually update the udev rules to use it with the standard user.
I did not find any difference in the user groups, 60-libsane1.rules, 99-libsane1.rules and 20-sane.hwdb files between the two distributions.
Is there a known difference between Debian and Devuan for the initialization of the udev rules ? or a dependency that I need to install on Devuan to import the udev rules as Debian does it ?
Last edited by Thomyx (2026-09-30 13:15:40)
Offline
Hi,
I also have a CanoScan LiDE 210, and I'm experiencing the same problem as you on Devuan Excalibur (since yesterday). (I had performed a fresh install of Devuan Excalibur.)
I haven't yet looked into how to update the udev rules so that the scanner will work for an ordinary user. Do you know if there's a specific recommendation for this?
Last edited by angstrom (Today 07:03:33)
Offline
Just to provide some more info:
As su, I see:
# scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:001:003' is a Canon LiDE 210 flatbed scannerAs an ordinary user, I see:
$ scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).Offline
First, you'll want to get the vendor-id and product-id of your device. the lsusb command should give this info:
lsusb
...
Bus 005 Device 024: ID 03f0:4205 HP, Inc ScanJet G3010In this case, vendor id is 03f0 and product id is 4205.
To create a udev rule, see this post, replacing with your vendor-id and product-id.
[edit]
it appears that /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-libsane1.rules is supposed to take care of this, by running /bin/setfacl -m g:scanner:rw on the device file. For some reason, that doesn't appear to be triggering here. If run manually,
setfacl -m g:scanner:rw /dev/bus/usb/005/024then the scanner is accessible to the users in the scanner group.
Offline
Hi,
I had a similar problem while installing excalibur (with another scanner):
But at my previous daedalus installation my scanner was working as user too.
After a long time of investigation, I found the problem at hwdb.bin. Therefore I copied /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.bin from my daedalus installation and I could use my scanner as user again.
I assume the cause of the problem is:
This file is generated during the installation of eudev and if at this time libsane1 is not yet installed, that content is missed.
I have not checked this, because I could use my old hwdb.bin, but I guess with the proper order of installation - maybe reinstalling eudev, there would be no user problem with the scanner.
Maybe it's also OK to generate this file later (even as user)
udevadm --debug hwdb -u -o ./hwdb.bin
and copy it as root (after making a backup) to /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.bin.
But of course it could also be that your problem is completely different ..
Offline
This file is generated during the installation of eudev and if at this time libsane1 is not yet installed, that content is missed.
This sounds like a reasonable explanation. The better fix, then, as you mentioned, is to re-create the hwdb. run this as root:
udevadm hwdb --update
service eudev restartThis works with my hp g3010 scanner, no need for custom udev rules.
Offline