like a kind of sticky note with a personal touch?. 🤔

Laptop lenovo
Desktop XFCE
Os Devuan GNU/Linux

#2 2024-05-26 11:04:10

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: desktop dress-up

notify-send will make a popup window with icon and message. The package name is libnotify-bin and it might already be installed.

If you want an icon to sit on the desktop to click and get a message, I think you just need to create a file or shortcut, but how you do it probably depends on what the text message is. Is it a note you wrote or do you want some text generated automatically?

Icons are just image files. You can make one in gimp.

#3 2024-05-27 05:12:21

devur

Hi
I must have a look at notefy-
it is not a note or a sticky note, as such, but an image or icon with a self-selected text and images. 
I thought about using gimp but thought there was another smaller program,
you often see pictures with text on forums like mastodon and the like.

Laptop lenovo
Desktop XFCE
Os Devuan GNU/Linux

#4 2024-05-27 10:29:46

fsmithred
Administrator

I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Do you want an icon that will present images with text to you like a slideshow or powerpoiint presentation? Or do you just want an image with embedded text? What does "self-selected text" mean? I think there's a screensaver that displays sayings from fortune when it runs. Is that something like what you want?

#5 2024-05-27 12:51:16

devur

you're pointing at something, it's not that slideshow I'm looking for.  but a tool to produce and manipulate a smaller screen icon with, an image with text and the option to set a size.  let's say that I have read something to the Buddhist sutras and want to present a picture downloaded from the Internet of the Buddha with a text of a mantra.  🙃

Laptop lenovo
Desktop XFCE
Os Devuan GNU/Linux

#6 2024-05-27 13:41:59

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

If you install imagemagick-6.q16 you get convert and display, and then you can amuse yourself with commands like:

$ convert \
https://kathleenkarlsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Medicine-Buddha-Mantra-Illustration.png \
-fill black -pointsize 28 -annotate +10+30 "Om Mani Padme Hum" \
PNG:- | display -

#7 2024-05-28 12:24:30

devur

Yes imagemagic i working for me
i haw a question about that is there a program
to add a image to the screen other than add it to
the wallpaper from 'desktop-base' and reload it

Laptop lenovo
Desktop XFCE
Os Devuan GNU/Linux

#8 2024-05-28 12:39:42

rolfie

You can put images into /usr/share/backgrounds and then use them as background image for your desktop.

#9 2024-05-28 12:44:32

steve_v

let's say that I have read something to the Buddhist sutras and want to present a picture downloaded from the Internet of the Buddha with a text of a mantra.

AKA a "meme generator" (many examples online), or something that can be done locally with pretty much any image editor.

is there a program
to add a image to the screen other than add it to
the wallpaper

Depends which desktop environment or window manager you're using. KDE Plasma for example has a "Media Frame" desktop widget that places resizeable images (or slideshows) on the desktop, on top of the wallpaper.
A similar DE agnostic result could be achieved with conky (read the docs wrt the "image" object) or a small shell script manipulating the window of [insert image viewer of choice here] with wmctrl and xprop to remove borders, set always below, and pin it to a specific position.

rolfie wrote:

You can put images into /usr/share/backgrounds and then use them as background image for your desktop.

AFAICT, the OP wants to pin pictures (with captions) on top of the wallpaper, not replace it. Something akin to the old "desktop sticky notes" but with images.
The use of "icon" all over the place is thoroughly confusing.

Last edited by steve_v (2024-05-28 12:58:43)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#10 2024-05-28 13:08:04

trinidad
Website

Zenity. You can make anything you want and control and write it in BASH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenity

TC

Board footer