The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2024-01-26 02:33:12

aluma

Re: [SOLVED] What is your view on major distros dropping X11 and requiring Wayland?

I also don’t like many of the “innovations” in Linux, already implemented and planned.
But imagine our life if the majority of humanity accepted the Amish point of view.
We probably wouldn’t have the pleasure of communicating on the forum now, and there wouldn’t be any computers themselves.

All evolution is completely GMO. smile

Last edited by aluma (2024-01-26 02:56:40)

#52 2024-01-26 12:21:46

stopAI

Re: [SOLVED] What is your view on major distros dropping X11 and requiring Wayland?

Dropping X11 for wayland is just another drop in the bucket called idiocracy

If sharks from a transnational company called Red Hat decided this way, it does not mean that others will do the same.

#53 2024-01-26 17:54:41

zapper

GMOs should be avoided in products that directly effect the body, such as lotions, food, shampoo, water, deodorant.

As  for technology, can't avoid it lol.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#54 2024-01-26 18:20:26

stultumanto

We're coming up on 20 years since David Dawes announced the changes to the XFree86(TM) license. I never did fully understand what went on behind the scenes that led him to make that change, but I remember everyone being tremendously relieved when control reverted to X.org. I have to think that in retrospect, there was some serious irony in some of the reactions, such as this post, the top rated response to Slashdot's report on Mandrake dropping XFree86:

Its nice to see the XFree86.org folks making the transition to the freedesktop.org smoother by making themselves irrelevent to users. Nice going guys!

Yeah... hurray for those nice folks over at freedesktop.org... neutral There are some other howlers in that thread:

Just look at the serial and parallel ports at the back of your computer. Once something is widely used it will probably outlive us.

Will we never be free of those pesky serial and parallel ports? Honestly, I think it would be great if my PC still had those!

Board footer