The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-20 19:50:39

kaiyel

HOWTO : Downgrade Thunderbird 115 to 102

Tried to like the new Thunderbird Supernova ... twice ...

Downgraded today in three steps : delete compatibility.ini file, downgrade application software, downgrade configuration files

Open Thunderbird Supernova
Alt-H -> Troubleshooting information
Click Profile Folder -> Open folder
Close Thunderbird
Delete "compatibility.ini" from the open folder

Open command shell

su - root
apt install -y --allow-downgrades /var/cache/apt/archives/thunderbird_1%3a102.14.0-1~deb11u1_amd64.deb
exit
thunderbird --allow-downgrade
Close Thunderbird window

Exit command shell

Your mileage may vary, but the lazy loading of the email summary table as I scroll through it and the sluggishness when moving emails into subfolders make the new version unacceptable in my work flow.  I feel they've taken a delightfully mature product and instead of preserving it, they've reverted it into an embryonic stage once more.

I've been using Thunderbird for decades, and will try to like the latest version again at some point in the future, but for now it just gets in the way of work that needs doing.  If you feel the same, hope this helps,
--K

#2 2024-01-21 21:16:08

stultumanto

Re: HOWTO : Downgrade Thunderbird 115 to 102

Don't you need to tell the package manager not to upgrade the package as well? I recently had to install an older version of a package, and I also told aptitude to put a hold on it. In my case, it was because newer versions of the wacom driver had pulled support for serial tablets, which broke a ton of older tablet PCs.

(I figure it's a good idea whenever such things are discussed to post a link to Don'tBreakDebian as a warning to those unfamiliar with the risks of such practices.)

#3 2024-01-22 02:01:51

kaiyel

Re: HOWTO : Downgrade Thunderbird 115 to 102

Not a bad idea, I reckon, to hold back the upgrade indefinitely to prevent accidentally upgrading until they fix some things :

apt-mark hold thunderbird

I think I will do that now.  Thanks for the suggestion,
--K

Board footer