The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-04-13 21:08:29

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

greenjeans wrote:

I got rid of the update notifier, just didn't like it, sorry man. And while i'm at it i'm also sorry for getting rid of a ton of icons, images, and locale stuff. Really very sorry. srsly.

Well...as the name says...Make it your own! LOLOLOL! wink  No need for apologies. The update notifier was mainly just one item to help Miyo stand out as something a little bit different.

Yes sir, unfortunately I didn't include much wireless firmware on Miyo...that was one of my regrets.

As to the grub background...the one that I used was a resized version of the wallpaper. I can't remember for sure, and I could be wrong, but it seems like the grub background's image size is supposed to be something like 640 x 480. Maybe someone can confirm or correct that. However, the Lightdm background is the actual wallpaper (same image and size as the wallpaper).

Looking forward to seeing your finished product! wink

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#27 2017-04-13 22:04:42

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

I got rid of the update notifier, just didn't like it, sorry man. And while i'm at it i'm also sorry for getting rid of a ton of icons, images, and locale stuff. Really very sorry. srsly.

Well...as the name says...Make it your own! LOLOLOL! wink  No need for apologies. The update notifier was mainly just one item to help Miyo stand out as something a little bit different.

Yes sir, unfortunately I didn't include much wireless firmware on Miyo...that was one of my regrets.

As to the grub background...the one that I used was a resized version of the wallpaper. I can't remember for sure, and I could be wrong, but it seems like the grub background's image size is supposed to be something like 640 x 480. Maybe someone can confirm or correct that. However, the Lightdm background is the actual wallpaper (same image and size as the wallpaper).

Looking forward to seeing your finished product! wink

Cool, looks like you put a desktop-grub.png in /usr/share/images/desktop-base, but it's 1600x1200. I seem to remember grub1 required the small image, looks like grub2 is fine with whatever.

The lightdm background i'm seeing is the same blue pic as the grub background, not the dark one i have for wallpaper. hmmm.....

Added xdotool so i can make basically a start/main menu button for the panel, it's handy when your desktop is covered up and you got nowhere to right-click to pull up your menu without first minimizing everything on the desktop.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#28 2017-04-13 22:34:52

MiyoLinux

Ah...okay. I couldn't remember about the image size. Yes, I just made a copy of the picture then, renamed it desktop-grub.png, put it in /usr/share/images/desktop-base, and ran update-grub. If I understand, you changed the grub background to the dark, but it's still showing the blue? If that's not what you meant, I apologize. If it is what you meant, just replace the picture with the one you want to use (rename it desktop-grub.png), then run sudo update-grub in the terminal.

I almost put a menu launcher on the panel, but opted not to. I'm not sure how much you've changed, but Miyo has 2 options for opening the menu with the full desktop covered...

1. Right click the tint2 panel, and the menu opens.
2. I included a keyboard shortcut...the W is the Windows key...
W + spacebar

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#29 2017-04-13 22:56:57

greenjeans
Website

ahhh, I didn't even try right-clicking on tint2 for the menu, that'll work too. I guess it depends on user, i made one for my wife's crunchbang install way back, and she still uses it when she's in that partition, habit from using DE's with a start menu in that corner, i think a lot of people have that habit hard-wired in them from years of windows-abuse,lol.

Thinking of adding a just a conky on/off switch in the panel just to bypass conky autostart/delay issues and such, haven't had a problem using it in your distro, but have used the conky switch before and found it super handy.

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#30 2017-04-14 00:27:16

MiyoLinux

I'm really liking your ideas! If you make it available, I hope to be able to try it when you finish!

#31 2017-04-14 13:39:45

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

The lightdm background i'm seeing is the same blue pic as the grub background, not the dark one i have for wallpaper. hmmm.....

greenjeans, forgive me! I was reading over this and realized you were speaking of the lightdm background (which you obviously stated); however, I thought you were talking about the grub background for some reason (stinkin' medicine!!!).

To make the lightdm background use the image that you want, you need to go to...

/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf

Open the lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf file with your text editor (the file is small, so no need to give you the line number). wink

Under [greeter] is...

background=

Just put the full file-path to the image you want to use. Such as...

background=/usr/share/images/my-picture.png

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-04-14 19:16:52)

#32 2017-04-14 20:05:14

greenjeans
Website

Cool cool, got it all, thanks for info! smile

Did a first run fortheheckuvit last night and got a nice 335 mb iso. Don't think it can go any smaller than that without sacrificing a lot of the use-ability that you put into it, in fact i'm adding a couple more small things today that make it a little more comfy. Whole thing sits there and idles at 137 mb of ram with conky running.

I'll upload it and post a link soon as i'm done, it'll be fun to take a spin as a livecd, use load to ram and it's wicked quick.

Definitely gotten me interested in Openbox again and that's a good thing, always learn more and faster working with it.

I'm thinking now of a seriously barebones Openbox system, something without so much of the other DE's parts in it.

Wondering if you can still make something in gtk2 only?

Also wondering if there's a devuan CLI-only barebones hybrid iso somewhere, I think I recall Fsmithred mentioning one at some point?

Replaced leafpad with pluma, just so much more it can do, stuff I kinda need for what i'm doing. Added calculator and clipboard manager. Modded the numix theme, i like it a lot but the stark white background in the windows was a little harsh, changed some colors to dim it some and make the whole thing match the gray theme better.

The Miyolinux-dark-gray window border setup is awesome by the way, nice and crisp while being subdued enough to look classy and be easy on the eyes, no weird borders around the open/close/minimize buttons...just perfect. wink

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-04-14 23:08:45)

#33 2017-04-15 01:48:02

MiyoLinux

Wow...and I thought the Miyo .isos were small! I was just dreaming! Haha!

135 MBs at idle? That's a 64bit too, right? Wow...and I thought the 64bit Miyo idling around 160 was low! I was just dreaming!  LOL!

Glad you like the window border. I did spend a good bit of time trying to find what I felt were the right colors...and I'm not a fan of borders around the buttons. I couldn't find window borders that I wanted to use on Miyo, so I made my own. wink

Can't wait to try your OS out!

#34 2017-04-15 21:26:58

greenjeans
Website

Okay I uploaded a run, ran one last night and had a spelling error in the main menu, that's what I get for doing this stuff late at night, lol. So made another run this morning.

Haven't burned myself a copy of this yet and ran it as a livecd or installed, will test that tonight, but if anyone wants to give it a whirl, here it is in this folder with the sha256 and a package list, i'll upload a screenshot or two here in a bit. I like it, it's unabashedly a little crunchbang-ish, but less austere. The artwork is all still Miyolinux, I just added a tad to the oem wallpaper (and the original is still there in Wallpapers) and used it for lightdm background as well, and switched grub to a modded version of the dark-cubes.png.

http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/linux/miyolinux/64/mini/

Again, haven't tested everything nor done everything I planned on but this is pretty good I think.

2017-04-15-143711_1366x768_scrot.resized.png

2017-04-15-144210_1366x768_scrot.resized.png

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-04-15 21:54:34)

#35 2017-04-16 01:43:22

MiyoLinux

I'll download it as soon as I'm at my computer later! What you've done looks amazing, and I really really like how you changed the theme!

Thanks for sharing and making it available! Can't wait to try it out. smile

#36 2017-04-16 13:56:32

MiyoLinux

greanjeans,

I've been running it live, and I have discovered one MAJOR issue...

...now I want to install it! LOLOLOL!

Well done man...WELL DONE!

That conky on/off switch is absolutely great, and I like what you did with the wallpaper too! Your additions (and subtractions) are perfect.

What you've done stands on its own and deserves it's own name (if you're so inclined). I'm flattered that you kept it associated with Miyo, but that wasn't necessary by any means as far as I'm concerned friend. smile

#37 2017-04-16 18:25:27

FOSSuser

....it's unabashedly a little crunchbang-ish, but less austere.

I used to run #! until it was to be no longer supported, went over to AntiX, been there ever since. smile

I like the Devuan project so have been keeping an eye on Devuan based distros.
I've installed both Refracta & Miyo & taken them for a run, liked what I see, & liking what you are doing here.

#38 2017-04-17 22:38:07

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

greanjeans,

I've been running it live, and I have discovered one MAJOR issue...

...now I want to install it! LOLOLOL!

Well done man...WELL DONE!

That conky on/off switch is absolutely great, and I like what you did with the wallpaper too! Your additions (and subtractions) are perfect.

What you've done stands on its own and deserves it's own name (if you're so inclined). I'm flattered that you kept it associated with Miyo, but that wasn't necessary by any means as far as I'm concerned friend. smile

Wow that's the highest praise right there, the guy who's nice OS I hacked on actually likes what I did, thank you!! That means a lot!

It was a real joy to do, I love the system and learned new things too. I tell ya you can talk all day long to a developer and they can try explain what they do and why, but to really understand you HAVE to download their work and dig into it yourself, and that's how you find all the really cool stuff and learn their style.

Wish some more folks would give it a go and "MIYO" it their way, I for one would love to see other people's take on it.

Thanks again for being so cool about me doing a re-spin, and for Miyolinux itself, best openbox system i've tried since Crunchbang went bye-bye and nicer (to my taste) than even the mighty #! used to be. wink

#39 2017-04-17 23:25:35

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

Thanks again for being so cool about me doing a re-spin, and for Miyolinux itself, best openbox system i've tried since Crunchbang went bye-bye and nicer (to my taste) than even the mighty #! used to be. wink

To be honest, and I mean this sincerely...the thanks should go to Devuan and fsmithred. All that I did was use what they provided and added a little customization. As a developer (and I use that term very loosely about myself), I'm not much. In fact, I was a bit of a Devuan rebel by including gvfs. LOL!

I don't consider Miyo as mine. smile So whoever spins it, spins their own. Whoever borrows from it or does anything with it, makes it their own. MiyoLinux (for what it's worth) belongs to whoever and however they want it, how they envision it, or how they use it. wink I just wish I could have given them a better base to work with...and hope that I didn't embarrass Devuan or fsmithred in the process.

All that I did was piggy-back on Devuan and fsmithred...and made it available to others. I saw a need for a very minimal system which would allow users the ability to add only what they wanted to their system...something that many major distros seem to ignore. Granted, it's not for everyone...but I just felt there was a need for it. As an Openbox lover, Openbox was the environment that I chose to use. Experienced users can do what I did; all that I did was save them a little bit of time. wink  I didn't get it perfect, but I think that all-in-all, it served the purpose and vision that I had for it...and I apologize to anyone who may have experienced difficulty with Miyo...

Still, I thank you for the kind words greenjeans. All of this has been a bright spot for me lately, and I thank you for it. Take care my friend. smile

Edited to add: Folks...you ought to try greenjeans spin...you'll like it!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-04-18 03:49:42)

#40 2017-04-19 20:23:02

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Well I wasn't thinking along those lines when I did it, but more and more I think I might want to, if you're sure you're okay with me using your work as a base? I didn't want to do something like that and call it my work when it's you and everybody else's and all i'm doing is some configging.

But I just like this so much, it's still sitting there unmodded on sda3 like I finished with it, keep thinking of adding programs or re-installing something else to work on but it's just so damn pretty sitting there humming along at low idle....lol, don't know if that makes any sense.

I'll do some new artwork in the same color schemes, but was wondering too if I could keep the Miyolinux window themes onboard just as they are?

#41 2017-04-19 21:45:41

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

Well I wasn't thinking along those lines when I did it, but more and more I think I might want to, if you're sure you're okay with me using your work as a base? I didn't want to do something like that and call it my work when it's you and everybody else's and all i'm doing is some configging.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it greenjeans...no problem with it in any form...no problem, nada, zero, zilch. wink

greenjeans wrote:

I'll do some new artwork in the same color schemes, but was wondering too if I could keep the Miyolinux window themes onboard just as they are?

Yes sir...feel free to keep whatever you want to use. In fact, feel free to rename the window borders to whatever you like. I'm not jealous over Miyo or any aspect of it. Greenjeans, I want you to know beyond a shadow of a doubt...be assured that as far as I'm concerned, you are free to do whatever you want to do with it. I don't even want you to feel as though you have to acknowledge Miyo in any way, shape, or form if (and when) you release your distro. wink

#42 2017-07-16 11:24:25

darry1966

Running this on a Latitude E6500 and it is lovely to use Miyo thank you.:)

Only thing I changed apart from adding some software was I removed the updates thing that appeared in the panel as it was annoying and I update with apt anyway otherwise lovely user experience so far.:)

#43 2017-07-31 23:11:37

MiyoLinux

darry1966 wrote:

Running this on a Latitude E6500 and it is lovely to use Miyo thank you.:)

Only thing I changed apart from adding some software was I removed the updates thing that appeared in the panel as it was annoying and I update with apt anyway otherwise lovely user experience so far.:)

Please forgive me darry1966. I just saw this...not sure how I missed it before.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes...some folks like the notifier and some don't. wink

Easy to remove for those who don't. Thanks for trying Miyo. smile

#44 2017-08-06 16:20:15

fungus
Website

I really enjoy MiyoLinux but I had to hack a bit.
It is amazing how small the image is and how much it has packed in there.  I have seen images with 2wice the size which I spend an hour throwing stuff away and installing what I really need.  RAM in openbox is unreal (Devuan and Miyo deserve credit).  JWM which I was unaware of till recently has nothing compared to the functionality of Miyo and Vuu-do too.
In terms of functionality the only thing missing was ralink-firmware which I needed to go online with my wifi.  Not knowing what is missing I copied the whole firmware folder from Devuan to Miyo, and POP it came on.  It seems that it existed in Vuu-Do as I went online with live before installation and I was pleasantly surprised that the wifi configuration transferred to the installation.

In terms of aesthetics I dislike the icons, but not really on aesthetics but because I will have to teach my brain all over again which icon is which.  So I'd rather stick to boring than having to learn all over something of no value.  Yes, they look better, but I have to hover over a whole bunch to see where the one I need is.  It may be a good thing as I eventually just skipped the icon thing and just typed the command on the terminal.

While the forum was down I was trying to find out where to get refracta.  So I copied all installed files from miyo to my basic devuan install and checked the dependencies to make sure I have them all.  I found out that gawk was not installed in miyo, but I have no idea of how essential it is.

You might want to check it.
I am playing around with refracta trying to come up with my own m.i.y.o. edition of LXDE on ceres
I now have a miyo on ascii and a devuan on ceres, following changes, development, and stability.

#45 2017-08-06 18:39:08

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

I really enjoy MiyoLinux but I had to hack a bit.
It is amazing how small the image is and how much it has packed in there.  I have seen images with 2wice the size which I spend an hour throwing stuff away and installing what I really need.  RAM in openbox is unreal (Devuan and Miyo deserve credit).  JWM which I was unaware of till recently has nothing compared to the functionality of Miyo and Vuu-do too.
In terms of functionality the only thing missing was ralink-firmware which I needed to go online with my wifi.  Not knowing what is missing I copied the whole firmware folder from Devuan to Miyo, and POP it came on.  It seems that it existed in Vuu-Do as I went online with live before installation and I was pleasantly surprised that the wifi configuration transferred to the installation.

In terms of aesthetics I dislike the icons, but not really on aesthetics but because I will have to teach my brain all over again which icon is which.  So I'd rather stick to boring than having to learn all over something of no value.  Yes, they look better, but I have to hover over a whole bunch to see where the one I need is.  It may be a good thing as I eventually just skipped the icon thing and just typed the command on the terminal.

While the forum was down I was trying to find out where to get refracta.  So I copied all installed files from miyo to my basic devuan install and checked the dependencies to make sure I have them all.  I found out that gawk was not installed in miyo, but I have no idea of how essential it is.

You might want to check it.
I am playing around with refracta trying to come up with my own m.i.y.o. edition of LXDE on ceres
I now have a miyo on ascii and a devuan on ceres, following changes, development, and stability.

Thanks for trying Miyo out. I'm working on new releases now, and more wireless firmware will be included. It's been quite a while, so I can't remember if gawk was required back then.

Thanks again...and miyo the heck out of it! That's what it's for. smile

#46 2017-08-06 20:54:25

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

I found out that gawk was not installed in miyo, but I have no idea of how essential it is.

I did some checking on gawk.

From the website...

If you are like many computer users, you would frequently like to make changes in various text files wherever certain patterns appear, or extract data from parts of certain lines while discarding the rest. To write a program to do this in a language such as C or Pascal is a time-consuming inconvenience that may take many lines of code. The job is easy with awk, especially the GNU implementation: gawk.

The awk utility interprets a special-purpose programming language that makes it possible to handle simple data-reformatting jobs with just a few lines of code.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/

#47 2017-08-06 21:43:40

fungus
Website

It sounds usefull.  It is actually more fun than running macro replacements on leafpad smile

Hey, by the way, would you happen to know what makes pcmanfm display the partitions of mountable media on the left column?
I have been going nuts with it, thought it was udisks2 or something related, by it is not related.

#48 2017-08-06 21:58:22

MiyoLinux

Hmmm...not sure off the top of my head...gvfs maybe?

#49 2017-08-07 08:16:10

FOSSuser

lol - awk, sed, vi, & mc are for us old time Linux/BSD users - these newbies don't know what they're about. big_smile

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-08-07 08:17:32)

#50 2017-08-07 08:19:17

fungus
Website

was it pico that was the father of nano?

Board footer