The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-29 20:09:48

fungus
Website

Re: [MiyoLinux] Menu fix if a user has upgraded to Ascii...

Sorry, I had been withdrawn to a new project.  Yes it works but I have rearranged some things already so it is OK

The issue I am wondering is why the package obmenu-generator flew away?
It is not just devuan it is debian too.  It is gone in testing/sid.
It works fine on arch/manjaro/artix and I have vuu-do conk and menus there now smile

A bit off-topic:

Manjaro did finally a debian and it will be turning to systemd only in the next month or two.
The ManjaroOpenRC (project) is no longer being supported, although it was never promoted
as its own.  Soon anyone running it will break if they update, they say.
So the team with a sideproject in videogaming development, has forked backwards into
an Arch fork with openrc.  They are calling it artix, see my signature and they are using
LXQT as their default wm.  So openbox comes with the installer which is more selective
than I have ever seen, all the way down to subpackages of a package.
Not bad at all for an announounced distro.

#27 2017-07-30 18:53:29

greenjeans
Website

WOW! Thanks for checking into all that, I haven't messed with ascii myself as i'm sticking with the stable branch for project iso's for now, but it's awesome watching other people experiment with it! That's what it's made for after all. wink

As far as my configs for obmenu-generator go, I guess you guys read the notes, the .deb package from opensuse includes all the cpan stuff and dependencies, which obmenu-generator does not require to use (deleting things not used gives me endless joy, lol), but possibly it needed them on the upgrade?? Still curious as to exactly why that is, maybe a pathway was altered somewhere and a fresh install re-directs properly?

The conky deal is probably simple, I don't even know why that would change in ascii unless something in xorg has changed. Anyhoo, the minimum conky window size is set in conkyrc and is larger than what my current config requires to allow for expansion, so the area around the text is in fact a square window, you just can't see the borders because it's transparent.

There are also some settings regarding window type and how it interacts with various types of desktop, in mate it's different from openbox by necessity because the mate file manager is drawing the desktop, in openbox the background is on X. These are the settings that may need to be tweaked if something has changed in Openbox or xorg I think, these lines in .conkyrc are the ones:

background yes/no (fork conky to background, never even tried this setting)

minimum_size 300 (minimum size of window in pixels)

own_window ##yes/no (mostly always used "yes" for this setting and do so currently in all Vuu-do's)

own_window_type ## normal /override /desktop (Openbox uses "normal" setting usually.  Mate requires the "override" setting or desktop shortcuts don't work properly.)

Conky is an amazing program, it will do an endless amount of things, but only if you ask it right, lol, i'm no conky expert so I try to keep it simple.

For me, i'm not going to even start trying to build an Ascii Vuu-do until the VUA's release a stable beta, but I encourage and applaud anyone else who does! big_smile

MiyoLinux wrote:

Okay...I've done some more investigating in regard to the post above regarding the menu in Vuu-do after an Ascii upgrade. In fact, I did a complete new install to start over from scratch. yikes

I confirmed that it wasn't a mouse issue. Before I did the following, the menu would open once after logging in, but it was hit or miss as to whether it would open anywhere on the desktop thereafter.

I now have a fully-functional menu on Vuu-do in Ascii...with one caveat...

Here's what I did...

There still is a glitch with the menu having something to do with the area in and around the conky...

After downloading the .deb package...

1. I once again saved the config.pl and schema.pl.

2. I then deleted the obmenu-generator folder in ~/.config

3. I then deleted the obmenu-generator file in /usr/bin/  (fungus is correct; there is no "obmenu-generator package" in Vuu-do)

4. I then installed the obmenu-generator .deb package (it installed 10 dependencies; the screen blinked, so that was a good thing!)

5. I then placed the "old" config.pl and schema.pl files in the newly created obmenu-generator folder in ~/.config (overwriting the new schema.pl file).

6. I then ran the command...

obmenu-generator -p -i

THE CAVEAT...That gave me a working Vuu-do menu again...HOWEVER...if I click in any area in (or closely around) the conky, the menu doesn't show up. Imagine drawing a rectangle about around the conky and the rectangle extends about 3/4" past the conky...the menu won't open anywhere inside of that rectangle. I would guess that probably has to do with the conky's "window" configuration, but I didn't take time to look. tongue

However, it opens anywhere else on the desktop or any empty space on the panel.  smile

With all of that said, this is not an official Vuu-do Openbox fix.

This is what worked for me. Greenjeans may figure out something better. I was just having fun trying to see if I could fix it. LOLOLOL! big_smile ...but I'm running out of time to try and research it any longer. tongue

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME DISTRO PROJECT!!!! smile

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#28 2017-07-30 21:11:18

fungus
Website

Guess what, in arch/manjaro/artix openrc where you can have the generator the menu does not work anywhere near the conky surface.
You shut conky off and it works everywhere.  smile

#29 2017-07-30 22:13:50

greenjeans
Website

fungus wrote:

Guess what, in arch/manjaro/artix openrc where you can have the generator the menu does not work anywhere near the conky surface.
You shut conky off and it works everywhere.  smile

Try that own-window-type setting in conkyrc, usually that's all I ever have to change if conky is behaving badly.

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#30 2017-07-30 23:57:17

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

WOW! Thanks for checking into all that, I haven't messed with ascii myself as i'm sticking with the stable branch for project iso's for now, but it's awesome watching other people experiment with it! That's what it's made for after all. wink

Glad to help in some small way. I like a challenge every now and then...if I figure something out, even if it works...it may not be pretty. big_smile LOL!

Maybe it'll at least get some Vuu-do users back up and running again. wink

I'm embarrassed to say this, but does the menu open on Jessie if clicking in or around the conky? Even though I included a conky in MiyoLinux, I never used it. tongue ...and now I don't have a stable system to try it on. I've got everything running either ascii or ceres. LOLOLOL!!!

Oooohhh...just thought of this right before I was about to submit the reply. I can check on the Live version to see if the menu opens in or around the conky. DOH!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-07-31 13:51:34)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#31 2017-07-31 13:53:34

MiyoLinux

All of my MiyoLinux systems are now on ceres. Lo and behold, Radio Tray is in the repository. That alone is enough to make me upgrade to Ceres! LOLOL!

I'll have to check if it's available in ascii. big_smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#32 2017-07-31 18:19:46

darry1966

Hi Miyo,

Is it worth holding eg.  apt-mark hold obmenu-generator package to stop the menu being stuffed up when upgrading???

#33 2017-07-31 18:34:07

MiyoLinux

darry1966 wrote:

Hi Miyo,

Is it worth holding eg.  apt-mark hold obmenu-generator package to stop the menu being stuffed up when upgrading???

I hadn't thought of trying that. It would certainly be worth a try in MiyoLinux. If that doesn't work, at least "the fix" is easy and quick to do. I'm still thinking it's a dependency issue of some sort, but I could be wrong...usually am. LOLOLOL!  tongue

As for Vuu-do though, there isn't a obmenu-generator package to mark.

#34 2017-07-31 19:04:28

greenjeans
Website

darry1966 wrote:

Hi Miyo,

Unfortunately that doesn't work. As Miyo mentioned the package isn't even in Vuu-do at least as far as Apt is concerned and the issue still occurs. And it's an outside package anyway, so there's no upgrade to it that goes on when you switch to ascii or ceres.

Trizen posted an update to the main obmenu-generator script like a week or two ago, it may possibly address the issue, haven't tested it that far yet, but in all other respects it works great so I guess we need to try it and see if ascii-upgrade still borks it.

UPDATE: Just checked and he posted yet another update to the script 3 days ago, I love seeing that, this is a great program and is being actively developed right now, here's the link to the raw script : https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-genera … -generator

#35 2017-07-31 21:56:53

fungus
Website

With synaptic too you go to menu package and mark one to be held without upgrade or being purged.
It is the same as the command above I believe.

#36 2017-08-01 23:30:09

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux wrote:

All of my MiyoLinux systems are now on ceres. Lo and behold, Radio Tray is in the repository. That alone is enough to make me upgrade to Ceres! LOLOL!

Well I feel like an idiot. Radio Tray is available in Jessie. tongue  LOLOLOL! Not sure how I missed it before...

#37 2017-08-02 18:57:20

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Well I feel like an idiot. Radio Tray is available in Jessie. tongue  LOLOLOL! Not sure how I missed it before...

I have to have my internet radio too, somafm usually, Radiotray is a nice program.

I use Exaile, has i-radio built in and even has somafm and some others pre-programmed, so that's what I usually use since I already have the player for mp3's and CD's anyway. But i'm skating perilously close to Gnome territory using it and from what i've read the newest version is completely gtk3, which may bring it's own set of problems.

Is Deadbeef still around?

#38 2017-08-02 21:56:46

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

I have to have my internet radio too, somafm usually, Radiotray is a nice program.

I use Exaile, has i-radio built in and even has somafm and some others pre-programmed, so that's what I usually use since I already have the player for mp3's and CD's anyway. But i'm skating perilously close to Gnome territory using it and from what i've read the newest version is completely gtk3, which may bring it's own set of problems.

Is Deadbeef still around?

My go-to player is Audacious, but I really like Radiotray too.

As for Deadbeef, I know of one distro that ships it as the default player.

#39 2017-08-03 06:34:49

darry1966

Mmmm Deadbeef still at 0.72 (2016).

Last edited by darry1966 (2017-08-03 06:39:01)

#40 2017-08-31 14:38:06

MiyoLinux

Updated Menu Fix if a User has Upgraded to Ascii

If you are using a 2017 release of MiyoLinux, the obmenu-generator .deb package is included in the Templates folder. If you're using the 2016 release, you will need to get the .deb package as outlined earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately, the instructions that I also included in the 2017 releases no longer work...there are a couple of extra steps that will need to be done. So, here are the new instructions...

1. Open the file manager, make it show hidden files, and go to...

~/.config/obmenu-generator

Copy (or move) both the config.pl and schema.pl files somewhere else in your file manager (perhaps the Templates folder would be a good choice since that's where the obmenu-generator .deb package is).

After you have done that, DELETE (Remove) the obmenu-generator folder from ~/.config

2. Open the file manager as root, and go to...

/usr/bin

Find and DELETE (Remove) the obmenu-generator file. You can then close the root file manager.

3. Go to the Templates folder in your file manager

Open the obmenu-generator folder, and right-click the obmenu-generator .deb package, and choose "GDebi Package Installer". When GDebi opens, choose "Reinstall Package".

4. Replace the config.pl and schema.pl files

Now you will need to copy (or move) the config.pl and schema.pl files (that you saved earlier) BACK into the newly created folder in...

~/.config/obmenu-generator

There will be a schema.pl file already there; you need to overwrite it when asked.

5. Open the terminal, and enter...

obmenu-generator -p -i

After that, you'll be...

Back in the Saddle Again

#41 2017-08-31 18:16:57

fungus
Website

One small addition, there is also at least one more place (for a sinle user system) in /root/.confg/obmenu.... so if root is logged in will have the great Miyo menu as well.

I now understand why there are so many upgrades all the time for packages that already seem perfect.  There is always on more detail left out.

#42 2017-09-02 21:53:19

greenjeans
Website

fungus wrote:

One small addition, there is also at least one more place (for a sinle user system) in /root/.confg/obmenu.... so if root is logged in will have the great Miyo menu as well.

+1, I do this for root account, I never usually log in directly to root account though I do a ton of su/admin tasks every day, but I know some folks just run strictly as root all the time.

Also need to copy tint2 config and openbox configs into root account if you want identical experience.

#43 2017-10-09 14:44:39

fungus
Website

I bumped my miyo-linux up a notch today.  Linux4.13, which has been a stable kernel for a while now, was released in Debian Sid.  I was curious whether it would work as all of 4.13 releases in Arch/Manjaro/Artix have not worked on my machine.  It would boot fine and when X was started all my inpur-devices (usb kbd/mouse) would freeze up.
I thought it had to do with the kernel itself, maybe a dropped module in 4.13 or some incompatibility with my firmware.
Well I pulled 4.13 from Sid into a debian sid installation and worked fine.  So I tried the same with my Miyo-Linux-Ascii-enstein
Here is the proof:

$ neofetch
   ..,,;;;::;,..                   miyo@machine
           `':ddd;:,.              ----------
                 `'dPPd:,.         OS: Miyo-Devuan GNU/Linux 2.0 (ascii) x86_64
                     `:b$$b`.      Model: OptiPlex 755
                        'P$$$d`    Kernel: 4.13.0-1-amd64          <---<<
                         .$$$$$`   Uptime: 1 minute
                         ;$$$$$P   Packages: 1629
                      .:P$$$$$$`   Shell: bash 4.4.12
                  .,:b$$$$$$$;'    Resolution: 1920x1080
             .,:dP$$$$$$$$b:'      WM: Openbox
      .,:;db$$$$$$$$$$Pd'`         WM Theme: Onyx-Citrus
 ,db$$$$$$$$$$$$$$b:'`             Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2/3]
:$$$$$$$$$$$$b:'`                  Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
 `$$$$$bd:''`                      Terminal: x-terminal-emul
   `'''`                           CPU: Intel 2 Duo E6550 (2) @ 2.333GHz
                                   GPU: Intel Q35
                                   Memory: 244MiB / 3813MiB

To top this off, Qupzilla which has been crashing regularly with clicks of new tab/window or refreshing a tab had yet to crash.

And I thought it was my 13 year old machine getting obsolete and wouldn't run on anything above 4.12

Last edited by fungus (2017-10-09 14:45:05)

#44 2017-12-12 03:49:00

MiyoLinux

Here's the latest...and hopefully...the best menu fix for the Obmenu-Generator menu in MiyoLinux if a user upgrades from Jessie to Ascii (and from Ascii to Ceres...see final note). I've tested it, and it works perfectly. Plus, it will give you the latest version of Obmenu-Generator. smile  This looks like a lot, but it only takes a couple of minutes...

AFTER UPGRADING...

You'll have no menu, but you'll need to open your file manager. If it's on the panel, no problem; otherwise, use the keyboard shortcut to open it...W=Windows key...

W + f

You can also open it with gmrun...

Alt +F2

You can also open it with the terminal...if that's on your panel, no problem; otherwise, use the keyboard shortcut...

CTRL + ALT + t

Now...

1. Save a copy of your schema.pl somewhere where you can easily find it (the schema.pl is found in ~/.config/obmenu-generator)

2. While you're in that same obmenu-generator folder, DELETE everything in it but keep the folder.

3. Open PCManFM as root, go to /usr/bin and delete the obmenu-generator file there.

4. Just to be sure, run the following command as root in the terminal...

apt-get remove obmenu-generator

Now the fun part...

5. Two of these three packages may already be installed, so try installing them one at a time in your terminal. It will tell you if you already have "the latest version"...

apt-get install git
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install cpanminus

6. After that, run the following command (don't use su or sudo...just enter this command as written)...

git clone git://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator

7. As root (su or sudo), enter the following command...

cp obmenu-generator/obmenu-generator /usr/bin

8. Run this command WITHOUT using su or sudo...

cp -r obmenu-generator/schema.pl ~/.config/obmenu-generator/

9. As su or sudo, run...

cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles

10. As su or sudo, run...

cpanm Data::Dump

11. As su or sudo, run...

chmod +x /usr/bin/obmenu-generator

12. WITHOUT su or sudo, run...

obmenu-generator -p -i

That should give you "the" obmenu-generator menu back, but it's not your menu.

13. So, with PCManFM still open (not the root file manager), navigate to the obmenu-generator folder (if you're not already there). Open it, and open the config.pl file with your text editor. If you enable line numbers, go to line 49, and change the name of the editor to "leafpad" (or the text editor that you're using).

Then go to line 71, and change the name of the terminal to "lxterminal" (or the terminal that you're using).

Save and close the file.

14. Replace the current schema.pl file with the one that you saved...(copy, paste, overwrite).

You should now have your old menu back...try it. smile

Post install note: You will have an extra obmenu-generator folder in your regular home folder...it can safely be deleted.

FINAL NOTE: If a user HAS ALREADY upgraded from Ascii to Ceres AND ALREADY fixed the menu according to these instructions, the only thing that is required is to open your terminal and run the following command...

cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles

...that should give you the menu back, otherwise, you will need to follow the complete instructions as outlined above if you haven't already upgraded to Ascii first AND fixed the menu.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-12-12 04:10:23)

Board footer