The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-05 09:04:20

jue-gen

[SOLVED] I don't know about hardware but need a PC

Good morning everyone,
maybe someone can give me a tip:
I don't know about hardware because I have to buy some so rarely (once every 10 years) but now I need an additional PC. Now I am unsure what to buy, a computer with AMD or Intel system, how many cores/threads etc. ...
I need the computer for internet, office, HTML and but also for image editing, especially RAW(NEF) files.
Hard drive size is secondary because can be swapped out.
Nice would be 2 disks, because I like to always run a disk in the computer for backup.
Plenty of expansion options are always good.
I am very happy working with Chimaera on a ThinkPad and would like to install Daedalus on the new additional device.
Maybe someone has a tip for me. I would be grateful for it.
Best regards

#2 2022-12-05 09:57:14

Camtaf

Re: [SOLVED] I don't know about hardware but need a PC

Personally, I don't need anything modern; I can do what you want on an old thin client, so basically, it's just up to you how much you want to spend. wink

Extra storage can always come in external USB drives - what other expansion were you thinking about(?).

#3 2022-12-05 10:40:02

jue-gen

Camtaf wrote:

... Extra storage can always come in external USB drives - what other expansion were you thinking about(?).

Yes, in the main it will come down to an external USB drive. In the longer term, I'm also thinking about a storage connected to our Fritzbox (but that's not a problem).
By the way, I already ordered a computer with an AMD Ryzen 7-5700G (an extremely cheap offer), but there were problems (suspicion of fraud) and my bank did not make the transfer because of that. For the price I have nowhere else found a computer with this Ryzen.
Of course I want to spend as little as possible.
Only with the processor I have problems. I do not need the fastest, it should consume little power, but it should also be future-proof, I always use my devices 10 years or more.
What I also found are the fanless PCs. I already like them, but I'm wondering if there might be heat problems.
But I also like large cases. You can reach into it, change or expand something.
In any case, the device should be windows-free.
I would prefer to build a computer myself. But as I said I am absolutely not the Hadwarespezialist.

#4 2022-12-05 10:40:06

PedroReina
Website

Camtaf wrote:

Extra storage can always come in external USB drives - what other expansion were you thinking about(?).

I find suitable in my use case hot swappable SATA drive bays. Sure that USB 3.0 is fast enough to backups, but I prefere a real SATA conexion.

#5 2022-12-05 12:16:42

jue-gen

PedroReina wrote:

... hot swappable SATA drive bay ...

That sounds good to me. I'll put it on my list. I suspect, however, that we will be expensive ...

#6 2022-12-05 14:37:22

Camtaf

Lots of older computers available online pre used, that's where I get all of mine these days. big_smile

Towers go quite cheaply, as everyone seem to want small quiet computers these days, (me included). wink

Take a look at the resellers of company pre used computers on Ebay. smile

#7 2022-12-05 15:56:01

jue-gen

Camtaf wrote:

... Take a look at the resellers of company pre used computers on Ebay. smile

Yes, that would also be a possibility. I had a Lenovo ThinkCentre from my employer. I had Devuan on it and I worked with it until my retirement for many years longer than my colleagues who got the same devices at the same time but left Windows on it. I was lucky that my boss said that I can install whatever I want on it, the main thing is that I work.

#8 2022-12-05 16:24:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Fifth generation Ryzen should be good. I'm running a 5850U and I will probably switch to bookworm/daedalus after the release. For those branches 6th generation would also work, I think.

EDIT: and with a processor like that even GNOME is as snappy as a pool full of alligators big_smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-12-05 16:25:32)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#9 2022-12-05 17:35:31

jue-gen

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

... and with a processor like that even GNOME is as snappy as a pool full of alligators big_smile

Thank you, I can use that as a guide.
I am using LXQt, but maybe one day it will overtake me and I will want to go to Gnome.
I will then look for a computer with Fifth generation Ryzen 5850U. Maybe I will find something.
By the way, do you guys find these fanless machines o.k.? For example something like this?:
https://www.shuttle.eu/de/products/slim/ds10u

#10 2022-12-05 17:49:08

rolfie

Attention, the 5850U is a mobile CPU, while a 5700G is a CPU for a normal mainboard. The mobile is very rare on the retail market, mostly available only in laptops.

What is your goal, a mobile system or a standard desktop?

#11 2022-12-05 18:00:00

jue-gen

rolfie wrote:

a standard desktop?

Yes.

#12 2022-12-05 18:27:47

Camtaf

jue-gen wrote:

By the way, do you guys find these fanless machines o.k.? For example something like this?:
https://www.shuttle.eu/de/products/slim/ds10u

That is pretty much what my HP T520 thin clients are, they take an M2 SSD, are silent, & fan free too.

I have been using fan less computers for quite some time now, can't remember when I got my first one, but must be about 5 years ago, maybe more, it's a MSI, about 4" square & 2" high - my most used computer.

#13 2022-12-05 19:52:12

jue-gen

Camtaf wrote:

... - my most used computer.

Thank you for the information. Then maybe I'm on the right track.

Board footer