The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-26 08:43:07

aluma

Install Exe GNU/Linux.

Good health to everyone!
First of all, thanks David Hare for the wonderful build, it works without problems.

My remarks are about the installation process and may be due to my particular conditions.
Lenovo s205 netbook. The disk is divided into 4 partitions, swap, "/", "/", / home.
Legacy boot.

The installer suggested EFI boot or "don't install bootloader". The latter was selected and the bootloader was installed by another Linux (for this, two root partitions are needed smile).

The bootloader does not format the "/" partition (when reinstalling without prior formatting, for example, network settings were saved), but when a separate /home partition was selected, all existing folders were deleted (formatted?) from it!
In my case, nothing particularly terrible happened, (it's a "sofa surfer), but the fact itself ...

But in general, this is the "golden mean", a stable release of debian and sysV, unlike well-known alternatives with TDE.
Unfortunately, the Debian license does not allow you to get a fully functional system out of the box, which is how these "alternatives" differ.

#2 2022-10-26 09:39:54

Camtaf

Re: Install Exe GNU/Linux.

But, Debian now include all the drivers necessary, at long last...but I'll still stay with Devuan, The 'True' Debian. wink

#3 2022-10-26 12:34:43

aluma

Distributions, based on debian, but default including at least the necessary non-free drivers, simply "bite off" a piece of the market.
And personal preference, of course, is subjective, undeniable.

P.S.
I will add.
In general, all distributions are the same in a certain sense. And the packages of one work without problems on the other.
For example, the Iridium browser from PClOS works with Exe GNU / Linux for me.
It's more about the convenience of users, completeness, human interface, etc.

Last edited by aluma (2022-10-26 12:51:44)

#4 2022-10-26 13:41:08

fsmithred
Administrator

ExeGNU uses refractainstaller. (David Hare was a co-author.) By default, the installer formats the partitions you select. You can disable this in the options menu of the graphical installer or in the config file if you are using the cli installer. The option will affect all selected partitions. Installing a bootloader or not will not change this.

If you want to re-use an existing /home partition, you should not select it during the install. Just install to the root partition and edit fstab afterward to mount the old home partition to /home.

#5 2022-10-26 15:01:07

aluma

Thanks I got it.

I used the cli installer with default settings.
In the absence of a video driver, program windows do not fit on the screen (640 * 480), it's just inconvenient to configure and change something.

This is the first time I've come across a case where by default something happens to the /home partition, just wanted to warn colleagues.

On a hard disk installed system, grub-costamizer writes the boot record to the MBR without any problems

In any case, I think TDE users cannot be completely newbie and in fact these errors are minor. smile

#6 2022-11-11 16:29:03

aluma

Since installation, over 100 files have accumulated in the ~/.bus /session-bus folder.
What needs to be "twisted" so that they themselves are removed?

#7 2022-11-13 08:34:39

GlennW

I only have .dbus session bus.

/home/glenn/.dbus/session-bus 

there is about 342 items... from june to now... looks like a file for each boot.

Probably safe to delete old files.

If it's the .dbus dir you mean, otherwise seek more advice .

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#8 2022-11-13 08:57:23

aluma

They should be removed on exit.
I moved the directory to tmpfs.

Board footer