The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-10 20:11:56

zen253230

[SOLVED] How to remove elogind postinstall in Xfce4 in order to use consolekit2

Hello everyone,

I just couldn't find the answer to my question on the forum!

For sure not everybody is willing to remove elogind but Linux is choice so I'd like to use consolekit 2 instead as advertised in devuan chimaera release notes.

Problem is even when I launch xfce4 with parameters

startxfce4 --with-ck-launch 

elogind is still running in the background...
So removing elogind crashes everything sad

But it is said that both ck2 and elogind are mutually exclusive.
So is there a step by step guide to do it post installation?
Thank you in advance

Last edited by zen253230 (2022-02-11 13:25:16)

#2 2022-02-11 14:21:51

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] How to remove elogind postinstall in Xfce4 in order to use consolekit2

I'm not aware of any guide for doing this, so I tried it. To be safe, I dropped to console first and stopped the slim display manager.

### ctrl-alt-F2 and then log in as root.
/etc/init.d/slim stop
apt remove elogind libpam-elogind consolekit+ libpam-ck-connector+

That replaced elogind with consolekit and removed a bunch of other stuff, including gvfs, udisks2 and network-manager. I replaced network-manager with connman and set connman-ui-gtk to start with the desktop.

apt install connman connman-ui connman-gtk

The user can no longer shutdown or reboot from the desktop. I assume that mounting of removable media is also gone. I don't know if there are fixes for this.

An alternative approach would be to do a minimal install, switch to consolekit first, and then start adding things.

#3 2022-02-11 14:39:19

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] How to remove elogind postinstall in Xfce4 in order to use consolekit2

For user to mount removable media, you could install pmount and either spacefm or pcmanfm. You may need to install without Recommends.

apt --no-install-recommends install <package>

If you want to avoid installing elogind by mistake, you could pin it by creating a file in /etc/apt/preferences.d/ with the following:

Package: *elogind
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

#4 2022-02-11 15:58:17

zen253230

Thank you very much!
Exactly what I was looking for
I'll give it a try asap

#5 2022-02-12 14:21:29

zen253230

Ok so I tried to follow your instructions.
Trying at first to stop slim but it said "failing". It lasted for a while complaining about

iwlwifi no beacon heard and the time event is over already

then stopped at last...Nevertheless I went further first by installing consolekit and associated libpam

apt-get install consolekit libpam-ck-connector

It went on flawlessly uninstalling some other packages by the way but as soon as I uninstalled elogind

apt-get remove elogind

I lost my wifi network. I had to manually edit the network configuration following devuan instructions

nano /etc/network/interfaces
auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      wpa-ssid myssid
      wpa-psk mypassphrase

then save with Ctrl+X and then

ifup wlan0

Network was back
Concerning pmount and spaceman it works great so thank you again !

Last edited by zen253230 (2022-02-12 14:38:25)

#6 2022-02-12 15:08:54

zen253230

Ok so now I've got one last problem with connection manager. I installed it successfully (in fact I started to mix it up with conman with one n !)
Starting the system, I've got no internet connection with wifi even when launching connman settings and activating wifi : it shows no wifi connections around !
The only way is to start the system without

auto wlan0

and then manually edit /etc/network/interfaces and add it after devuan launch.
Then after

ifup wlan0

network is back...otherwise if I leave it at start of devuan it shows me an error about already configured network
I must say I'm quite a newbie so any help is welcome

#7 2022-02-12 16:12:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

If wlan0 is listed in /etc/network/interfaces then connman will ignore it. Use either ifupdown or connman, not both.

EDIT: if you're running chimaera then I would recommend iwd instead:

# apt install iwd orphan-sysvinit-scripts wpa_supplicant- connman- dhclient-
# cp /usr/share/orphan-sysvinit-scripts/iwd /etc/init.d/
# update-rc.d iwd defaults

Then use iwctl to configure your wireless connection and add this to /etc/iwd/main.conf:

[General]
EnableNetworkConfiguration=true

And add a network configuration stanza to /var/lib/iwd/<name of SSID>.psk, for example:

[IPv4]
Address=192.168.0.23
Netmask=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1

The wlan0 lines can be removed from /etc/network/interfaces once iwd is configured.

See also https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Using_IWD

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-02-12 16:25:03)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#8 2022-02-12 16:16:23

fsmithred
Administrator

If you use a gui frontend network app like connman or network-manager, you should not configure the network in /etc/network/interfaces. They will likely fight with each other. Do one or the other.

Board footer