The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-25 20:24:11

oui

refracta_11_xfce_i386-20211114_0205.iso

Hi
I did discover this relatively new ISO (as well as it' s companion, a 64 bit ISO) yesterday and install it soon.
It is small and very flexible at use.
All seems to work perfectly especially the start in RAM giving to the system an extra speed!

I did found the iso a bit over load with options I will never use at all:

sudo apt remove geany geany-common vim vim-runtime mc mc-data mutt firefox-esr synaptic

I miss some useful other option
next step is to lead the actual list from depository

sudo apt update

and add the missing things:

sudo apt install gv didiwiki tesseract-ocr gimagereader gnumeric mgp luakit lame mhwaveedit nted

After that, I did actualize the system excepted the kernel (the actual started kernel seems to wor; do never disturb a running system...):

sudo apt install curl libayatana-indicator3-7 libcurl3-gnutls libcurl4 libgmp10 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libnss3 libseccomp2 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 linux-compiler-gcc-10-x86 linux-libc-dev publicsuffix wget xserver-common xserver-xorg-core xxd

(I don' t know if it is the good way to actualize partially the system? But the system didn't make some opposition!)

And, finally, I did interchange thunar to nemo (this one need only under 20 MByte more space but offers the function "tree"! I find " tree"  important enough to do that!

After all the changes, I will have saved a lot of memory room compared with the initial set of applications...

And I have now a very larger choice of applications!

#2 2021-12-25 21:12:46

oui

Re: refracta_11_xfce_i386-20211114_0205.iso

and I did commute the background to the milky way BG from refracta of course!

as I want now to go to bed, it is late here, ab. 22'00 now, my first problem today is to

save my work to do more tomorrow without to have to to all the changes again.

I know (from the great site extix.se using very intensiv the refracta tools, thank you extix!) that refacta exactly the distro giving tools for that, but I don't know / unterstand what is to do...

Is there a step by step introduction somewhere ho to rebuild the ISO with above mixture?

what is with the contents of
[*]/home/user[/*]
[*]/etc[/*]
[*]/usr/share[/*]

(I have to adapt some files in /usr/share/applications. for ex.  /usr/share/applications/text-editor as I did erase vim and geany! Xedit is ALLWAYS pre installed! Why not use it! In English, no problem at all! I find it is a good editor!)

And I have before remaster the ISO to adapt grub.cfg (to have only two options: start all in RAM or start from HD settings! An good alternative would be to start the new ISO directly through the pre installed grub.cfg from pre installed Devuan Star 64 bit as direct ISO start but WITH ALL writing rights. But, as an old Puppy Linux user, I don't be able to manage the needing grub declarations (as Puppy linux continues don't to use GNU Grub and offers small applications making the job auctomaticly for you!).

Are perhaps adequate instructions to find in that forum?

#3 2021-12-26 01:54:03

alphalpha

• The hard way:
    Make a live-CD with live-sdk by fsmithred

• The easy way:

sudo refractasnapshot-gui

click on Help if you need insturctions or just select the first option and give it a try
    make sure you have enough free space: if your system is 20GB in size you need another 20GB for the copy + a few gigs for the squash and the iso file

#4 2021-12-26 04:19:56

fsmithred
Administrator

If you want to make a live-iso from a running live-iso without installing it to hard drive, you can do it. You must edit the config file to set the work_dir and snapshot_dir to some storage device, like a mounted partition on a hard disk or a usb stick. You could also do it by booting the .iso file in a virtual machine and setting the work_dir and snapshot_dir to be on a virtual disk.

Don't boot the system to RAM unless you have a lot of extra. You'll need it fo update the package cache and to hold any changes or additions you make to the system.

And you'll have to make all those changes again if you reboot. You already discovered that. I find it easier to install the system on a virtual disk and making the changes there. Then I can make a new snapshot iso any time I want with minimal effort.

https://refracta.org/docs/readme.refractasnapshot.txt

Board footer