The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-11 14:36:39

fsmithred
Administrator

Refracta 11 (Chimaera) XFCE beta isos

They keep getting bigger. Just a few releases ago, they fit on a CD. Now they no longer fit on a 1GB usb stick.

https://get.refracta.org/files/testing/

Known problem: It won't boot into another language. The language gets configured (uncommented in /etc/locale.gen), it gets set correctly in /etc/default/locale and /etc/default/keyboard. The keyboard gets remapped to the other language, but it's all still in English.

This problem is not present in my experimental runit build, which has essentially the same packages but was built from a system that was upgraded from beowulf. These new isos started life as chimaera. The problem is also not present in the devuan chimaera desktop-live isos.

I assume that some package is missing, but I have not found it yet. I'll do some more list comparisons to try to narrow it down.

#2 2021-09-12 18:15:31

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Refracta 11 (Chimaera) XFCE beta isos

I looked at what's in the runit iso that's not in the r11-beta isos, added a few thing that I thought might help with booting into another language, but failed.

I looked at what's in the devuan desktop-live iso and didn't see anything else that was obvious.

I got a list of what packages are common to both of the isos that do boot to another language (the runit iso and the desktop-live) AND missing in the r11-beta. I still don't see anything obvous. That list is here:

libcairo-gobject-perl
libcairo-perl
libdata-dump-perl
libextutils-depends-perl
libextutils-pkgconfig-perl
libglib-object-introspection-perl
libglib-perl
libgtk3-perl
lynx
lynx-common
pkg-config
xserver-xorg-legacy

I compared lightdm.conf and lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and didn't see any relevant differences. (e.g. different background images)

I replaced lightdm with lxdm in the VM and made a new refracta-11 iso. This one boots into another language. I'd like to know why it doesn't work with lightdm in this system.

#3 2021-09-13 16:52:02

dev-1-dash-1

LightDM can be a bit finicky.

Take a look at these bugs.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=636108
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=752129

On my Beowulf main box, I had to create ~/.xsessionrc file that would source /etc/profile and ~/.profile to work around.

Also, lightdm is likely to just break and refuse to start if there's some gsettings conf value missing, or something equally unimportant and minor happens.

For a live cd, slim is probably better.

ps) When do we get a daedalus script for debootstrap?

edit: typo

Last edited by dev-1-dash-1 (2021-09-13 16:52:49)

#4 2021-09-13 18:39:03

fsmithred
Administrator

There's a refracta-lang live-config script that fixes the lightdm problem, but it appears to no longer work.

I'd really like to know why it's broken only in this build. I can go back to using lxdm, which I used in the last two releases because it does respect the language choice.

If you want daedelus, you could probably debootstrap ceres, wait a couple months and the change sources to daedelus and do a dist-upgrade. Otherwise you could make the symlink yourself in /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/, but I don't see the point of running daedelus at this time. We haven't started working on it yet.

#5 2021-09-14 18:43:43

dev-1-dash-1

Try and check the environment variables that are set, before and after lightdm startup.

I had to add something like "export ETC_PROFILE_SOURCED=1" to /etc/profile and "export USER_PROFILE_SOURCED=1" to ~/.profile to find out that lightdm simply doesn't pass --login parameter to the shell it executes to find the root cause of some trouble I've had with it.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Board footer