The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-22 19:10:02

einpoklum
Website

My chimaera install issues #4: root credentials demanded after login

(This is part of a series of posts following my installation of Devuan Chimaera; for more information see the first post).

Each time I log in with my user credentials and the desktop environment comes up (specifically, Cinnamon, or LXQt + Muffin), I am immediately faced with a dialog asking for root credentials for "rfkill".

Asking for root credentials automatically is unacceptable in terms of User Experience. Even a one-time requirement is excessive, because either the user is supposed to be able to have rfkill run (directly or via some setuid executable), or s/he isn't, in which case that should be attempted by default.

Users who don't know what rfkill is would feel scared, or even assaulted, by this prompt.

At the very least this request should be preceded by a dialog box asking "Would you like to configure/enable the rfkill utility?" Perhaps with some explanation of what that utility is.

(Next post in the series: Issue #5)

Last edited by einpoklum (2021-07-22 19:15:39)

#2 2021-07-23 12:58:08

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: My chimaera install issues #4: root credentials demanded after login

What happened when you removed blueman from the autostart apps? Did that help? If not, did installing rfkill make the message go away?

#3 2021-07-23 22:00:25

einpoklum
Website

Re: My chimaera install issues #4: root credentials demanded after login

Disabling blueman makes the prompt go away, and re-enabling makes it come back.

Board footer