The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-02 13:25:29

grafiksinc

SDK or (Debian) Live-build

Hello forum,
Hope you are all doing well,
Over at PeppermintOS we are re-basing on Debian and Devuan
With Devuan we will go with runit as the init system.

Our Debian build is reaching completion pretty soon we are starting to look at the tools needed for Devuan.
Now.... on  Debian we used the live-build tools to do what we do.....

I notice that you guys have this SDK:
https://www.devuan.org/os/distro-kit

That kinda got me wondering:
1. Should we use the SDK
or
2. Can we use the live-build tools with Devuan?

I figure I would ask  before we spent too much time down either road..

Thank  you all very much for your time,

#2 2021-05-02 21:46:42

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: SDK or (Debian) Live-build

I think Star and Crows are made with live-build. There's no devuanized live-build package right now, so you might want to talk to those devs for hints.

Gnuinos uses a modified live-sdk and includes the debian-installer. Some of the others use refractasnapshot (and refractainstaller) and some I don't know about.

The official devuan-live isos are made with an older version of live-sdk. I need to troubleshoot my builds on the current version when I get some time.

#3 2021-05-04 00:36:31

Ozi
Website

Yes I have live-build working for Devuan. I haven't made new Devuan packages for it. I have only made a few changes to the way the installer script works. The live-build maintainer has made the naming convention consistent across all scripts.

I'm happy to send you the setup script!

#4 2021-05-04 07:33:32

grafiksinc

Ozi wrote:

Yes I have live-build working for Devuan. I haven't made new Devuan packages for it. I have only made a few changes to the way the installer script works. The live-build maintainer has made the naming convention consistent across all scripts.

I'm happy to send you the setup script!

@Ozi - That would be perfect. - Thank you so much.

#5 2021-05-04 21:24:36

aitor
Website

grafiksinc wrote:

That kinda got me wondering:
1. Should we use the SDK
or
2. Can we use the live-build tools with Devuan?

Both will work. I haven't used live-build since Daniel Baumman abandoned the project; but, besides that, there was another major reason with the arising of the SDK, which I am familiar with. This said, i do not think i'll be helpful if it comes to configuring your live-build, but i'll try to do my best in the case of the SDK. Gnuinos aside, Heads is another distribution built with this toolkit, and parazyd one of its main contributors.

On the other hand, i'm developing a gui environment for the SDK. By this i mean that interesting things are yet to come. I've just started it, so it consists of a simple customized terminal emulator with scrollbars and a copy&paste popup menu so far:

https://www.gnuinos.org/screenshots/ter … ulator.png

The name appearing in the tittle of the window is cTerm, but it's chosen at random.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by aitor (2021-05-04 21:31:30)

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Board footer