The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-17 09:42:53

dice
Website

Devuan 4 Alpha Installer Iso's

Heads up.

Working fine for me, installed to bare metal no problems.

https://files.devuan.org/devuan_chimaera/installer-iso/

#2 2021-04-17 16:01:19

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Devuan 4 Alpha Installer Iso's

Edit: files.devuan.org is  s - l - o - w .  Unless you want to party like it's 1999, choose a faster mirror. They're listed on this page: https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

Expert install on old (2011) Thinkpad. It asks twice for me to supply the wireless firmware on a usb. I already know that the iso contains the exact firmware I need, so I decline. Twice.

I unplugged the ethernet cable to make sure I could do a wireless install. Installer loads the firmware and detects the nearby wireless signals. I could not authenticate with my router. It turns out that it works fine with no wireless password or if I change the password to one that contains only lower case letters. The original pass had numbers and special characters.

It's not done yet, but it seems to be going along fine.

Full desktop install in qemu yesterday worked. Wicd is gone, and nothing currently replaces it. Wired connection was working with dhcp automatically set up in /etc/network/interfaces.

Xfce did not ask on first login if I wanted default layout or bare layout. Launchers on lower panel exist but are not set to anything. I'll see if I get the same thing on the second install.

#3 2021-04-17 16:33:04

manyroads
Website

It was not happy for me on VirtualBox.... sad

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#4 2021-04-18 13:38:59

catprints

Worked on my dell desktop optiplex 990 bare metal. Minimal install.Same as fsmithred on missing firmware request but wireless connection worked so firmware is present. At the beginning it says beowulf but it is indeed chimaera installed. For my purposes it is useful now-very nice.

Last edited by catprints (2021-04-18 13:43:12)

"The obstacle is the path."

#5 2021-04-18 14:06:44

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

it says beowulf but it is indeed chimaera

... well spotted, thanks.

#6 2021-04-18 21:59:31

batmore

I downloaded the netinstall.iso. Burned to CD, after boot selected standard 'Install'..
That all worked well until it asked for a Mirror... when I selected deb.devuan.org it  cycled with error...'Could not access deb.devuan.org'.
I selected ok, and the installer dropped me to the full Advanced list of actions. 
I reselected the Partitions menu which gave me the prompt for a mirror again, and I selected deb.devuan.org. I selected to 'ignore' or worry about it later.  Installer then proceeded to the 'add applications' screen where I selected to add SSH server and then 'Run It' init env.
All that worked fine. The system finished installing. I rebooted fine. RunIt is now my init system. And I can update/full-upgrade. Just smarvillous.

I'm using an old Intell Core2 Duo Dell Optiplex 755... so not a new machine, and no uefi. I'll try the net installer on some of my other machines, give you an update if they have issues.

#7 2021-04-19 12:54:25

dice
Website

fsmithred wrote:

Edit: files.devuan.org is  s - l - o - w .  Unless you want to party like it's 1999, choose a faster mirror. They're listed on this page: https://www.devuan.org/get-devuan

Expert install on old (2011) Thinkpad. It asks twice for me to supply the wireless firmware on a usb. I already know that the iso contains the exact firmware I need, so I decline. Twice.

I unplugged the ethernet cable to make sure I could do a wireless install. Installer loads the firmware and detects the nearby wireless signals. I could not authenticate with my router. It turns out that it works fine with no wireless password or if I change the password to one that contains only lower case letters. The original pass had numbers and special characters.

It's not done yet, but it seems to be going along fine.

Full desktop install in qemu yesterday worked. Wicd is gone, and nothing currently replaces it. Wired connection was working with dhcp automatically set up in /etc/network/interfaces.

Xfce did not ask on first login if I wanted default layout or bare layout. Launchers on lower panel exist but are not set to anything. I'll see if I get the same thing on the second install.

The speed probably varies from country to country, but i was getting 2mb per second download speed which to me is fast.

I didnt have any issues with wireless connection, iwlwifi loaded and i was only asked once to supply usb firmware.
I had a different experience it seems, my wifi password contains numbers, lower and upper case letters and special characters and this was accepted. I used the amd64 iso, what iso did you use?

#8 2021-04-19 13:53:34

wasp

On my LENOVO Notebook Essential V145-15AST AMD A4-9125 Ram 4GB laptop I install expert mode, installing Fluxbox, without any errors. I'm writing from it ... Thanks

#9 2021-04-20 06:55:20

jobbautista9
Website

fsmithred wrote:

Wicd is gone, and nothing currently replaces it.

I suggest doing away with wicd for desktop installs, and use connman instead. connman-gtk for gtk DEs like XFCE, and cmst for QT like LXQT.

Former maintainer of the iwd package. See #639! smile

You can also find me on the Pale Moon forums. I develop XUL add-ons for Pale Moon.
My PGP public key

#10 2021-04-20 08:30:19

dice
Website

jobbautista9 wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

Wicd is gone, and nothing currently replaces it.

I suggest doing away with wicd for desktop installs, and use connman instead. connman-gtk for gtk DEs like XFCE, and cmst for QT like LXQT.

and switch to iwd for connman backend wink

#11 2021-04-20 09:21:52

jobbautista9
Website

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Pretty ironic for the maintainer of the package itself huh? big_smile

Former maintainer of the iwd package. See #639! smile

You can also find me on the Pale Moon forums. I develop XUL add-ons for Pale Moon.
My PGP public key

#12 2021-04-20 13:50:57

yohno

I have been failing at the system-update after installation due to wifi issue.  Finally I made it by installing cinnamon this time. So I installed connman right away. Seems my PC has been a connection problem with LAN for a while,

By the way, this is very interesting to play with so far.  I could install IME of Fcitx plus Mozc to enable to type the local charactors via keyboard from the start so this is the big benefit for those who need to install double byte characters like me assuming that is the default for Chimaera .... I hope.

Cheers!

#13 2021-04-20 13:52:58

Andre4freedom

Here my experiences with the new installer iso:

1. An old Dell PC Optiplex 780
- BIOS / MBR mode
- Expert Install (standard install didn't start)
- Chose Cinnamon Desktop, OpenRC
--> worked very well
(only had a hick-up with the keyboard selection, it worked correctly in X but not on text console. Fixed it with a dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration)

2. A newer Dell PC Optiplex 990
- UEFI / GPT mode (with secure boot disabled of course)
- Standard Install
--> worked very well
(had to add the non-free firmware-amd-graphics for the AMD GPU)

I tested to install a second DE on both machines: XFCE4 using the tasksel program, and it went very well.
Is there a chance to get rid of the installation of anacron by default? That thing still does delay enormously the shutdown, occasionally.

--> Conclusion: it's already very good for me, thank you for that very pleasant and successful adventure

#14 2021-04-24 19:40:36

rolfie

Filled an Acer Aspire 5 with a Ryzen 5 4500U CPU and the iso from 16th. Had to fight the Bios to disable Secure Boot. Got Mate desktop working, OpenRC as init system. The boot stick was generated with rufus 3.13 from a Win7 PC.

Issues and observations: The Aspire 5 has no more CSM mode, its pure UEFI now. The installation works in efi mode, the efivars are present during the installation process. After the first boot I tried to write a modified efi entry with grub-install --bootloader-id=... and then tried to remove the original debian entry. efibootmgr told me that efivars are not supported. After a second attempt I found out that everything works fine when I mount the efivars manually. Since them all boots went fine with efivars mounted automagically.

On a soft start this laptop does not show any efi entry in the boot menu, its only present after a cold start.

rolfie

#15 2021-05-05 15:11:21

Andre4freedom

Just tested the most recent installer iso:
https://files.devuan.org/devuan_chimaer … nstall.iso
(Alpha from May 3rd, 2021)
on the same Dell PC Optiplex 990 PC

- UEFI / GPT mode (with secure boot disabled of course)
- Standard Install
--> worked very well
(had to add the non-free firmware-amd-graphics for the AMD GPU)

And once again the same with the XFCE4 Desktop.

Everything works well, though anacron still stalls the shutdown process occasionally.
I therefor just disable the service to be happy.
Thanks for that good progress you make.

#16 2021-05-11 05:51:26

GlennW

I agree,

dice wrote:

Heads up.

Working fine for me, installed to bare metal no problems.

I have cinnamon setup on a spare 500Gb Hdd, just the defaults but out of the box operational with wifi.

Nice work.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#17 2021-05-14 12:32:07

hemimaniac

All fine and awesome here

oCcHeTs

Last edited by hemimaniac (2021-05-14 12:33:30)

Board footer