The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#351 2019-04-07 23:50:56

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

For anyone who might like living on the edge, there is now available...

MiyoLinux-Rolling

Based on ceres. yikes

Video overview here...

https://youtu.be/EnJqLq3RJyI

Available for download here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … e/Rolling/

Have fun...maybe?

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#352 2019-04-08 01:19:58

ChuangTzu

Great job Miyo, just finished watching your intro to the Arch Annihilator, Gentoo jinxer  smile

Always enjoy the tunes, I thought you were going to put on a green hat at the end LOL.  Keep up the great work!

Ooh, future video request, Devuan/Miyo and music recording/production.  smile

#353 2019-04-08 04:15:37

MiyoLinux

ChuangTzu wrote:

Great job Miyo, just finished watching your intro to the Arch Annihilator, Gentoo jinxer  smile

Always enjoy the tunes, I thought you were going to put on a green hat at the end LOL.  Keep up the great work!

Ooh, future video request, Devuan/Miyo and music recording/production.  smile

Aw man...wish I'd thought of the green hat! You better know I'd have worn it! LOL!

As for my obvious above-average expertise in the production of high-quality music recordings in my videos, it's pretty in-depth stuff...

1. A kid's plastic toy guitar.
2. A homemade guitar pick made from the lid of a Chlorox Disinfecting Wipes container.
3. A cheap Logitech Webcam/Microphone combo (used for recording sound) connected via USB port.
4. Make a video and hope everything is working.
5. Edit it with Openshot.

...and there you have it! tongue

Thanks ChuangTzu! smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#354 2019-07-17 21:27:15

MiyoLinux

For anyone interested, I've made some live .isos that will allow you to manually install beowulf using debootstrap.

From the welcome screen and instructions...

While Deboot-Beowulf does indeed allow you to install Devuan Beowulf before Beowulf is officially released, the main philosophy behind this is to hopefully be a learning tool for those who may want to learn more, experiment, or just try something different.

Be aware, while you can certainly install a fully usable Beowulf system, Beowulf is still considered Devuan's testing release. Therefore, you may experience bugs or breakage. For example, at the time of this writing, PulseAudio is not working in Beowulf; you will have to use Alsa for sound.

The debootstrap instructions will guide you step-by-step in helping you to MANUALLY install a Devuan Beowulf system using debootstrap. The vast majority of commands can simply be copied and pasted into the terminal; however, there are no point-and-click options. When you reach the package installation step, you will need to know what packages you want to install and what the package names are called. If you're unsure about this, please read over the debootstrap instructions to see if you're willing to proceed.

The guide assumes that the user has a knowledgeable understanding of...

a) partitioning a hard drive
b) manually installing the packages needed for a working desktop (an example for installing LXQt is provided in the instructions)
c) where to install grub
d) how to use ncurses windows

While UEFI can be made to work in Beowulf, due to its current state, Deboot-Beowulf .isos are only available as BIOS versions. They are available as x86_64 and i686-pae.

A beta-version installation video can be viewed at the following link. Be aware, it's a full installation video and is over an hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzVP5GNi6NM

The software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. In no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.

The .isos are available here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … bootstrap/

Have fun! smile

#355 2019-08-06 06:07:39

stanz

Ya know, they say...don't debootstrap alone - yikes
So I you-get`d your tube video, played it on one laptop - while deboot`ing on the other..
Painless, Simple, and an awesome learning experiance!
Thx Miyo!

I noticed some of your iso's on a i2p torrent site...`case someone visits those kinda places wink

miyoisomix.i2p

#356 2019-08-06 10:15:04

MiyoLinux

stanz wrote:

Ya know, they say...don't debootstrap alone - yikes
So I you-get`d your tube video, played it on one laptop - while deboot`ing on the other..
Painless, Simple, and an awesome learning experiance!
Thx Miyo!

I noticed some of your iso's on a i2p torrent site...`case someone visits those kinda places wink

you-get'd...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! That's classic! smile

I'm glad to hear that, because the video's instructions differ slightly from the finished instructions on the .iso. Thank you stanz! big_smile

#357 2019-08-06 14:51:41

catprints

Lol,fun video and a learning opportunity.(for me at least) My dear departed Father would tell a particularly stupid joke and follow with the
words "Laugh or I'll tell it again!". I find it a necessity to laugh at my own jokes.

"The obstacle is the path."

#358 2019-08-07 06:29:51

MiyoLinux

catprints wrote:

Lol,fun video and a learning opportunity.(for me at least) My dear departed Father would tell a particularly stupid joke and follow with the
words "Laugh or I'll tell it again!". I find it a necessity to laugh at my own jokes.

smile

Thanks catprints. Sounds like your dad was a great man. Take care!

#359 2019-08-24 14:52:29

paolo

Hello to you all, I am a new user from Italy.
I like to use Myolinux i3 on my netbook eeepc 1001px
because I think Myo is probably the best i3 distro around.
Using the live version I have 6 hours of stand by with a new battery of 6000 mah.
If I install Myo how can I have 9 hours of standby like when I use Watt Os Microwatt? (based on ubuntu 16.04 lts)

Thanks for your answers

#360 2019-08-24 23:16:34

MiyoLinux

paolo wrote:

Hello to you all, I am a new user from Italy.
I like to use Myolinux i3 on my netbook eeepc 1001px
because I think Myo is probably the best i3 distro around.
Using the live version I have 6 hours of stand by with a new battery of 6000 mah.
If I install Myo how can I have 9 hours of standby like when I use Watt Os Microwatt? (based on ubuntu 16.04 lts)

Thanks for your answers

Hi paolo...thank you for the kind words about Miyo-i3! smile

My first introduction to i3 was Microwatt several years ago! It was a really great system too!

If I recall, there was a package installed on it that was specifically there to help with battery life. It's available to be installed on Devuan also...

apt install tlp

I haven't used it since using Microwatt, but I do remember there are a lot of options to use that can really help a user get the most from their battery. Hope that helps, and thank you again! I hope you enjoy using the system! big_smile

#361 2019-08-25 21:34:08

paolo

Hello,
I have downloaded 4 times the latest ISO images from
sourceforge but I can't install Miyolinux i3
I also find a video tutorial from youtube but
have a problem: the refractainstaller yad open for one
second a terminal window an immediately this window is
close automatically.
Honestly I don't know what to do
can you help me please? sorry for my english

#362 2019-08-26 01:04:27

MiyoLinux

Hi paolo,

I wasn't sure which .iso you tried, so I looked at the download statistics. It appears that you downloaded this one...

MiyoLinux_x86_64_20190215.iso

Is that correct? That is the ASCII version.

I'm only asking so that I'll know which one to download and see what happens, but I'll go ahead and get the one I think you tried. smile 

I don't recall ever having what you described happen before, but I'll definitely look into it.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-08-26 01:18:32)

#363 2019-08-26 04:06:50

paolo

MiyoLinux wrote:

Hi paolo,

I wasn't sure which .iso you tried, so I looked at the download statistics. It appears that you downloaded this one...

MiyoLinux_x86_64_20190215.iso

Is that correct? That is the ASCII version.

I'm only asking so that I'll know which one to download and see what happens, but I'll go ahead and get the one I think you tried. smile 

I don't recall ever having what you described happen before, but I'll definitely look into it.

Yes, I download this .iso

#364 2019-08-26 05:23:48

MiyoLinux

Thank you paolo.

Regarding the battery life that you asked about earlier...if you're able to get Miyo-i3 installed, I would wait and see what kind of battery life you get before installing the tlp package. I've always noticed that resource usage is higher when running from a live system, so you may not need that package.

Regarding the installer...I'm not sure what the issue could be. I tried it on two different computers, and the installer opened and ran well. To be more thorough, I tried opening the installer from...

1. The Welcome Screen
2. DMenu
3. PMenu
4. By entering sudo refractainstaller-yad in the terminal.

All four options worked well on both computers, so I'm not sure what the issue could be since I couldn't reproduce it. Perhaps fsmithred will see this and offer a possible suggestion.

You might try the fourth option, but when you open the terminal, enter...

sudo refractainstaller-yad -d

If the installer fails again, show us what is in /var/log/refractainstaller.log...that should give us something more to look at if it fails again.

Respectfully,
MiyoLinux

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-08-26 05:40:39)

#365 2019-08-26 09:53:21

paolo

good morning Miyolinux,

fist of all thanks for your help, please don't be angry if my answers are late but I live in a different timezone and I have at home a 3 years old daughter <3
I try your istructions this evening, Miyolinux i3 is to beautiful to give up.

Maybe I have made a mistake:
my netbook is a asus eeepc 1001px , I have downloaded the 64bit .iso,
maybe I can try to use the uefi .iso (with microwatt or manjaro i3 there is not  a uefi .iso).
To create the usb bootable key with Miyolinux i3 I have used the MXLinux usb creator

Thanks for all,
Paolo

#366 2019-08-26 22:46:04

paolo

Hello Miyolinux,
I finish now to install Beowulf i3,
I have read another time your messages
and understand my errors.
Many thanks for your patience

Paolo

#367 2019-08-27 03:21:58

MiyoLinux

Hi Paolo!

You had no need to think I would be angry at the timing of your responses. smile  I was hoping you wouldn't be upset with my late responses! wink

The beowulf version is still considered testing, and I don't have an UEFI version of it...so just be aware that if you are able to install it, some issues may arise until beowulf becomes Devuan's stable release. Hopefully, things will go smoothly until then.

Take care, and take care of that little girl!

#368 2019-08-30 12:25:09

paolo

Hello Miyolinux

I feel like a newbie but... How I can modify the i3bar?
I like to move it up from the bottom of the screen and
I need to show the correct battery percentage because it show
always 100%

In others distros I modify the .i3config file but here I cannot find
the i3bar lines...

apart of this small problems Miyolinux Beowulf is absolutely good and stable after all the updates <3

I think if you like to present Myolinux on distrowatch
it can be the next "Big Thing" distro

Last edited by paolo (2019-08-30 12:42:45)

#369 2019-08-31 08:30:44

MiyoLinux

Hello Miyolinux

I feel like a newbie but... How I can modify the i3bar?
I like to move it up from the bottom of the screen

Hi paolo! Sorry for the late reply.

To move the bar from the bottom to the top, you'll need to make one small edit in the i3 config file. When you open the file, scroll all the way to the bottom, and you'll see these lines...

bar {
        status_command i3blocks
}

Just add the following line so that it looks like this...

bar {
        status_command i3blocks
	position top
}

...save the file, then restart i3. smile

This will in turn cause dmenu to open on top of the bar, and it will also possibly interfere with partially covering part of the conky. If you want to fix those issues, you'll need to do another edit to the i3 config file, and an edit to the .conkyrc file. They both can be opened from the MiyoLinux Accessories application.

If you want to make dmenu appear at the bottom of the screen, Miyo-i3 is using i3-dmenu-desktop in order to show only applications when you open dmenu. Unfortunately, I'm not sure myself how to make i3-dmenu-desktop appear at the bottom of the screen. tongue  sad   If anyone here knows how to do that, please feel free to comment.

However, I do know how to make the regular dmenu appear at the bottom. smile  If you enable line numbers in the i3 config file, look for lines 162 -167. They look like this at present...

# start dmenu (a program launcher)
#bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run -fn "Ubuntu Mono-9"
# There also is the (new) i3-dmenu-desktop which only displays applications
# shipping a .desktop file. It is a wrapper around dmenu, so you need that
# installed.
bindsym $mod+d exec --no-startup-id i3-dmenu-desktop

If using regular dmenu is okay with you, just remove the # from the second line above and place a # in front of the last line above. You will also need to add -b on the second line. When you're finished, those lines will look like this...

# start dmenu (a program launcher)
bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run -b -fn "Ubuntu Mono-9"
# There also is the (new) i3-dmenu-desktop which only displays applications
# shipping a .desktop file. It is a wrapper around dmenu, so you need that
# installed.
#bindsym $mod+d exec --no-startup-id i3-dmenu-desktop

Also, if the font is too small, you can change the 9 in that second line to a 10, 11, 12, etc.

After finishing the edit, save the file and restart i3. wink

To make the conky appear slightly lower on the screen, you'll need to edit the .conkyrc file. Find the line close to the top that looks like this...

gap_y=5,

Change the 5 to a larger number...something like 25. Just play around with that number until you find what looks best to you. It should automatically go to the new position when you save the changes to the file.

I need to show the correct battery percentage because it show
always 100%

In others distros I modify the .i3config file but here I cannot find
the i3bar lines...

Edited to add: Also see my follow-up reply

Hmmm...my battery indicator works as it should. The configuration file for the bar is found in /etc/i3blocks.conf. However, the script for the battery indicator is found in /usr/share/i3blocks/battery. I hate to say this, but I'm not sure what the issue could be since mine works. Perhaps your battery isn't being assigned the correct number. What is the output if you run the following command in the terminal?

acpi

I hate to say this, but it may require for you to do some internet searches for something like...

battery indicator doesn't work on i3blocks

Here's one that I found where they got it working...https://www.reddit.com/r/i3wm/comments/ … _not_work/

apart of this small problems Miyolinux Beowulf is absolutely good and stable after all the updates <3

That makes me happy to know it survived all of the updates! I've been wondering about that, so thank you for that report!

I think if you like to present Myolinux on distrowatch
it can be the next "Big Thing" distro

I really appreciate that, but I'm very happy just doing what I'm doing...the way that I'm doing it. wink

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-08-31 10:17:15)

#370 2019-08-31 10:09:30

MiyoLinux

paolo,

I've done some investigating since my reply above. If I may ask, when you tried the first version of Miyo-i3 (based on ASCII), did the battery indicator work in the live session? I'm guessing that it did since it wasn't mentioned as not working on your earlier posts.

I have compared the acpi packages that are installed on both systems, and the beowulf system only has acpi installed. However, the original ASCII version that you tried has acpi acpi-support-base acpid installed. Perhaps installing those two additional packages will fix your problem??? I do know that they are available in beowulf...and I think by installing acpid, it will pull in the other one...but I can't say for sure.

apt install acpid

#371 2019-08-31 21:58:23

paolo

hello Miyolinux

I have made some test:

in Beowulf i3 I have followed your instructions and all is ok except for the battery percentage in i3bar.
I have searched on the net for a solution but it seems the solutions I find cannot resolve this problem...

I have used a live key with Miyolinux Ascij i3 and the  battery is showed in i3bar (yai!) smile

Later I decide to made a fresh install of Miyolinux Ascii i3 and all went well 
but after the dist-upgrade after the reboot and the login in slim the screen remains black hmm

Now here is midnight and is time to sleep, tomorrow I like to make some other experimentt to have a stable install

Don't worry for your late reply, you are too kind helping here
I forget to compare the .i3config files and the .i3block config files from the 2 versions to look at the difference hmm

Last edited by paolo (2019-08-31 22:42:10)

#372 2019-09-01 17:33:59

paolo

Hi,

I have made a fresh install of Miyo Ascii i3
and I can confirm that:
after dist-upgrade if you reboot after the slim
login you have only a black screen hmm

after half hour I made another fresh install and after a
sudo apt-get update I have another black screen hmm

Last edited by paolo (2019-09-01 19:16:46)

#373 2019-09-01 21:41:37

MiyoLinux

paolo wrote:

Hi,

and I can confirm that:

Hmmm...okay...sorry about that. The ASCII version is using lightdm instead of slim. I'm not sure if lightdm is working correctly in beowulf yet. It wasn't when I built the beowulf versions; that's why I went with slim on those.

I'll see what I can figure out, but it may be awhile...it's been a very busy day for me and still is. smile

Thanks paolo. smile

#374 2019-09-01 21:53:12

paolo

MiyoLinux wrote:
paolo wrote:

Hi,

and I can confirm that:

Hmmm...okay...sorry about that. The ASCII version is using lightdm instead of slim. I'm not sure if lightdm is working correctly in beowulf yet. It wasn't when I built the beowulf versions; that's why I went with slim on those.

I'll see what I can figure out, but it may be awhile...it's been a very busy day for me and still is. smile

Thanks paolo. smile

Hi,
I find a "problem" in the MX Linux forum:
after the upgrade/ dist- upgrade of Miyo Ascii i3 in the list of  packages there is Libsystemd0, maybe this is the problem

Don't worry if you write late, there is no problem, we have a life
out of the forums smile

Last edited by paolo (2019-09-02 08:19:22)

#375 2019-09-02 05:49:24

MiyoLinux

Hi paolo...I'm writing this from a fresh Miyo-i3 that I upgraded from ASCII to beowulf. smile  I first tried it in virtualbox, but it was SO SLOW!!! So, I installed it on an actual partition. wink

Here are the steps that I performed.

1. After installing the ASCII version, I performed an...

apt update

and an...

apt dist-upgrade

I think it said there were only 69 packages to upgrade. LOLOL!!! big_smile  tongue

2. I then rebooted the system.

3. Next, since beowulf is using elogind, I installed elogind (I didn't include it in the ASCII version).

apt install elogind

4. I didn't want to take a chance that lightdm might still have issues in beowulf, so I installed slim...

apt install slim

NOTE: during the installation of slim, an ncurses window will appear asking which display manager you want to use. Choose slim. Also, you will end up with the default slim login screen. If it's fine with you, okay. If you want the MiyoLinux login screen for slim, let me know.

5. I then removed lightdm.

apt remove --purge lightdm*

6. I went ahead and removed pulseaudio and pavucontrol since they still aren't working in beowulf (at least to my knowledge, they aren't).

apt remove --purge pulseaudio*
apt remove --purge pavucontrol*

...then I removed packages that were left over from lightdm, pulseaudio, and pavucontrol

apt autoremove

7. I then rebooted.

8. Next, I changed the sources.list from ascii to beowulf. I also commented out the backports line, because as far as I know, backports still isn't active in beowulf. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

9. After changing the sources.list, I did an...

apt update

and an...

apt dist-upgrade

10. Finally, I rebooted from the terminal...the shutdown utility wasn't working after the dist-upgrade to beowulf, but it seems to be working again now after the reboot.

sudo reboot

After the reboot, it booted into the slim login screen and went straight to the desktop after I logged in.

I haven't checked everything, but of what I have checked, all seems to be working...including the items that used gksu  yikes  (I guess gksu didn't get removed). But most importantly...it kept leafpad! big_smile tongue

The only issue that I did notice was that the conky was cut off on the very last line. To fix that, open the .conkyrc file from MiyoLinux Accessories. If you enable line numbers, line 13 is what you want to change. I changed the minimum_height to 650, and that fixed it.

If you want, I can give you the MiyoLinux shutdown utility from the beowulf version that uses logind instead of consolekit. You may not need it, but the offer is there.

Good luck!

Board footer