The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-23 11:12:41

nn

A question to Miyo regarding Miyo-Linx, i3 version

Hi Miyo!

Just to introduce myself: absolutely-non-technical user, but loving the independence Linux gives so much that, after years of Ubuntu with Xfce and Openbox, now I'm using and loving Devuan for over a year, solving any problem by reading this & other forums and, if everything else fails, consulting Prof. Startpage ... smile

I liked very much what I read about your i3-version, as your customization seems to be an accessible way to start with i3, but had no luck with your downloadable iso's yet, with hardware a Linux-proved thinkpad and md5sums being ok. May still be my error, will have to check further; but before doing that:
I already have a Devuan installation working fine, so maybe it would be easier for me to just "miyo-ize" this one with i3 than to do the whole new install from scratch - if there is any possibility to do so, of course.

So my question: is there a way - not too technical, see above wink - to "i3-miyo-ize" an existing Devuan-Ascii installation?

#2 2019-06-23 11:36:41

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: A question to Miyo regarding Miyo-Linx, i3 version

I already have a Devuan installation working fine, so maybe it would be easier for me to just "miyo-ize" this one with i3 than to do the whole new install from scratch - if there is any possibility to do so, of course.

It might be faster and easier to solve the problem you're having with miyo's i3 isos. Installing it should only take about 10 minutes. What did you try, and what happened? Are you able to boot the iso on a usb or optical disk?

#3 2019-06-23 12:22:30

MiyoLinux

Hi nn! Thanks for your interest. Indeed, the idea behind Miyo-i3 is to hopefully make it a little easier to use i3.

I agree with fsmithred; in that, solving the current issue would be the quickest solution. I have a video showing how to install Miyo-i3; however, it's for the Beowulf edition...so, the installer is slightly different during part of the installation...but it should still help. Here's a link to the video...

https://youtu.be/f2mopYcEnHU

With that said, believe it or not...despite the technicalities of i3, Miyo-i3 is actually the easiest version of MiyoLinux for me to build. smile

I don't mind packaging everything up (along with instructions) and making it available for you to download. You would then just have to put the various files and folders in their proper places according to the instructions. Of course, you would need to already have i3 installed first. wink

I've also been considering making a script to do the same thing, but I haven't even started on that yet. tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#4 2019-06-23 13:21:41

nn

Thank you both very much for the amazingly fast replies.
Ok, I'll first try again with the install so I can tell you exactly what - if anything - goes wrong.
Not immediately (family), but no too late, either wink
Thank you again!

#5 2019-06-23 17:49:08

nn

Hi miyo and fsmithred,

tried again, and the beowulf-x64 version works!

So thank you very much, also for the offer to repackage the i3-parts for download, looks like that won't be necessary.

(Still, the script for an install over an existing Devuan does look like an good idea, if you once should get around to make it.)

One thing I noted in the live-version:
On booting up there was a looong pause while the MTA was waiting for eth0 to be ready - rather futile wait with a laptop using wifi ...

Thanks again for your help!

#6 2019-06-23 18:45:10

MiyoLinux

That's great!

I hope you enjoy using it! smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Board footer