The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-08 10:03:55

Jordan_Waughtal

Did anyone else come from crunchbang?

I noticed a lot of dark themed minimal openbox desktops in the desktop thread. I started my life with Crunchbang. Then switched to plain debian when crunchbang died. Now I am here. Heading towards gentoo. Did anyone else come from #!?

I thought the cb-welcome script was rad. If you came from #! what was your favorite feature? If not what was your favorite feature of another disto?
crunchbang.png

Last edited by Jordan_Waughtal (2019-01-08 10:06:43)

#2 2019-01-08 10:36:36

yeti

Re: Did anyone else come from crunchbang?

Heading towards gentoo.

Moooooom???
Will I have an intelligent reply on this when I grow older?

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2019-01-08 10:56:54

zephyr
Website

Jordan_Waughtal wrote:
Did anyone else come from #!?

Imagine there are quite a few who used CrunchBang, came across it in 2011 and actually have it still on an HDD somewhere with Devuan.

STAR and CROWZ ob are similar to #!, use some configs also built with live-build.

I thought the cb-welcome script was rad. If you came from #! what was your favorite feature? If not what was your favorite feature of another disto?

Some distros use a similar welcome script but coded differently as STAR and CROWZ. Would have to say the menu was very nice although personally not dependent  on pipemenus. Learned a lot from #! early on and also VSIDO a sid distribution, fluxbox and some attributes from perhaps from #!.

Great, have a screenshot in scrot.moe. Devuan 3,16 CrunchBang

Shot-280217-012951.th.png

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2019-01-08 11:01:32)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#4 2019-01-08 22:26:29

ChuangTzu

zephyr wrote:

Jordan_Waughtal wrote:
Did anyone else come from #!?

Imagine there are quite a few who used CrunchBang, came across it in 2011 and actually have it still on an HDD somewhere with Devuan.

STAR and CROWZ ob are similar to #!, use some configs also built with live-build.

Some distros use a similar welcome script but coded differently as STAR and CROWZ. Would have to say the menu was very nice although personally not dependent  on pipemenus. Learned a lot from #! early on and also VSIDO a sid distribution, fluxbox and some attributes from perhaps from #!.

Great, have a screenshot in scrot.moe. Devuan 3,16 CrunchBang

https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2017/05/03/Shot-280217-012951.th.png

cheers

zephyr

Does it also go crunch bang like the original?  smile

PS: I played with #! from time to time, was sad to see it go, not so much for the loss of the project but the larger view tendency for great projects to fold from apathy, lack of support, finances, etc...  And no I do not consider the spinoffs as replacements for #!.  Crunch died, the others are just standing over the grave.

Last edited by ChuangTzu (2019-01-08 22:29:17)

#5 2019-01-09 04:06:35

zephyr
Website

ChuangTzu wrote:
Does it also go crunch bang like the original?

Since Debian Wheezy and Devuan Jessie were both essentially systemd-free the upgrade went quite smoothly, error free. Made sure to collect everything like grub images, slim, and a few other items like skel to add back once updated.

Would say yes to your question! smile

Just an experiment, hated to see CB go as well! Super excellent distribution!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2019-01-09 04:10:43)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#6 2019-01-09 20:41:18

Ozi
Website

I would agree with zephyr, and say I learned a LOT from #! and also VSIDO, and was also sad to see it end. I went back to debian wheezy after, and put what I had learned into building STAR and also sharing what I had learned. And made some good friends along the way! smile

ozi

#7 2019-01-12 14:45:57

thierrybo

Did you tried Bunsenlabs, it is an updated Crunchbang, although you may find it a little "bloated" compared to the original.

With some extra work, you can install Bunsenlabs on Devuan, although I gave up on that.

Last edited by thierrybo (2019-01-12 14:48:42)

#8 2019-01-12 15:37:18

zephyr
Website

thierrybo wrote:
With some extra work, you can install Bunsenlabs on Devuan, although I gave up on that.

That is an idea, going from Wheezy to Jessie was quite easy and worked perfectly, guess have to approach putting Devuan ASCII on BunsenLabs with Stretch would be a little more involved.

BunsenLabs certainly kept the awesome crunchiness attributes of CB with their first release and has very much evolved the distribution since with the help of a great forum community and developers. Think they are doing quite well with their BL project! smile

Don't know if anyone has tried putting Devuan on a Ubuntu distribution, I'd be scratching my head asking why? neutral 

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#9 2019-01-14 06:00:42

Jordan_Waughtal

thierrybo wrote:

Did you tried Bunsenlabs, it is an updated Crunchbang, although you may find it a little "bloated" compared to the original.

I ran Bunsenlabs personally for a couple months. I still support it on a couple machines at work. I am not sure why, but I did not like BL as much. I did some distro-hopping. I ended up running Debian and Ubuntu net-installs for a while.  I recently setup a OpenVPN server (cli only) on a FreeBSD VPS. I had a great time doing it, and it reminded of me of my experiences before goofing with systemd. That is how I arrived here.

#10 2019-02-11 20:18:55

greenjeans
Website

I loved me some Crunchbang, favorite distro for several years, it's part of what made me want to make Vuu-do, and it is unabashedly crunchbang-ish. Only thing I didn't like was dealing with the menu, that's why I went with obmenu-generator.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#11 2019-02-11 22:09:33

franko

I've been also using #! for some time, and I liked it a lot. I've been fascinated by its efficiency in combining minimalism and out-of-the-box every-day usability. One of the best distros ever, IMO.

#12 2019-02-12 11:57:38

Nili
Website

Been using #! since 2013 until it finished, then I went to BunsenLabs, LinuxBBQ, Debian, Debian NetInst actually Devuan.
NETINST is my fav installation.
So, i have been an ex#! (alse one of the Club 100 tongue). The users there have been remarkable.

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

β™«β™ͺ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail β™ͺ Black Reverie β™ͺ Dye the sky.

Board footer