The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-25 05:27:55

sivaprema

TDevuan My best hope for

(english is not my mother language, please excuse me)

I think that GNOME and GTK3 (and 4 and 5) itself suffers of the same sickness than SYSTEMD. Same darkness.

I'm not a developer.
But I hope that some day exist a distribution DEVUAN based without any gtk and gnome thing, 32bits and 64 bits (this is to be inclusive):
TDE as default (with more development, its had the power and lightness to be a perfect Desktop), with options to LXQT  and KDE, and only QT apps, Falkon for Firefox, Krita for Gimp, and go on.
There is a lot of QT apps not included in Debian and its derivatives. Those QT apps could be part of Devuan, progressively replacing gtk-counterparts.   

For me, some day, Devuan will be something unique, a new Father/Mother for a lot of distro bassed, when systemd kills debian, and "Red-Gnome-bian-dows" comes to existence.

TDevuan, my best hope.

Sivaprema.

#2 2018-12-25 05:31:12

sivaprema

Re: TDevuan My best hope for

By the way, I am purging all gtk and gnome things from my Devuan, and only using TDE and QT apps.  And I use my PC all day. TDevuan It's possible!

#3 2018-12-27 16:59:20

fsmithred
Administrator

Yes, TDE with devuan is possible. Here is one you might want to look at:
http://exegnulinux.net/

#4 2018-12-28 04:33:58

dzz

TDE doesn't need anything gtk at all. As well as the KDE3 desktop itself, they forked the original QT stuff (now TQT). TDE/TQT runs fine on Devuan and has very many good packages.. but maybe not everything you might want.

For example, synaptic and firefox-esr require gtk3 libs (not here, I use apt and palemoon).

I do use the refracta tools, which use yad. Yad's Debian version requires gtk3 but can easily be repackaged with gtk2.

It's going to get more difficult to escape gtk3 entirely..

As for the Falkon browser, here's a (not very impressive) review: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/falkon.html ..

#5 2018-12-28 08:03:15

sivaprema

Yes fsmithred. Thaks. I know Exegnulinux, but I found more easy TDE over devuan. Thanku very much.

Dzz, they ported original Qt to TQT...mystery resolved about I'ts perfect integration. I must admit that Synaptic and Firefox are difficult to replace. And I understand when you said that is difficult to escape gtk 3 entirely...but the same was with systemd, and look, we are here smile. More people becomes conscient about this, more developers will comes, and gnometk will be history, with systemd. This is the only possible future, if we preserve linux as linux is. If we fail in this, we'll lost linux. Now, debian (and derivates) people is becoming crazy cos don't have anymore gksu (hurra to tdesu!), and a lot of people is angry with this. We don't have this trouble in Devuan. Soon more people will be "Devuanized" smile. I'ts inevitable. More they make a mess with linux, more people will search for KISS. Some day, all will become qt, or a gnu-tk (well standarized and implemented), not a gnome-tk. Best wishes for you.

#6 2019-07-23 11:38:57

omnio

Very well put, sivaprema. On a slow box that I have in my kitchen I installed TDE and it is incredibly fast. A lot faster than XFCE. Surprisingly, it seems faster than LXDE (and just as fast as LXQT). You can guess why. GTK has become a lot slower than it used to be. On an old machine one can easily see this even in the way the menus open/pop-up, in the way the windows redraw when they are resized. And I'm comparing here GTK2 and QT5. I won't even mention GTK3.

Last edited by omnio (2020-01-31 19:04:38)

Board footer