The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-04-13 11:14:21

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 1,098  

Re: Minimalism Tips

andyprough wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

People may not realize that despite his lack of curly locks, Miyo still has one of the prettiest wives in all of Linux land: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=OYgZib8z6uY

Thanks andy!

...she married me when I still had hair...

Hahahaha! tongue


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#52 2021-04-13 12:00:42

dice
Member
Registered: 2020-11-22
Posts: 559  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

MiyoLinux wrote:

Beards are bloat !!!

grep "Beard" | cut -b 1000000

wink

Offline

#53 2021-04-13 12:23:02

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 1,098  

Re: Minimalism Tips

dice wrote:

Beards are bloat !!!

grep "Beard" | cut -b 1000000

wink

Hahaha!

#!/bin/sh
if [ beard is bloat ];
then
echo "NO"
else
echo "Gotta have hair somewhere"
fi

tongue


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#54 2021-04-13 13:08:21

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Do not use  bloated music players. Just use sox.

Do not use bash. It is bloated. Just use ash. Or in the worst case use tcsh.

Last edited by Ogis1975 (2021-04-13 13:09:32)


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#55 2021-04-13 13:11:55

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

zapper wrote:

Actually, moc seems to be the lightest way to play audio that I know of.

No. Lightest way to play audio is sox.


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#56 2021-04-13 13:19:34

dice
Member
Registered: 2020-11-22
Posts: 559  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Ogis1975 wrote:

Do not use  bloated music players. Just use sox.

Do not use bash. It is bloated. Just use ash. Or in the worst case use tcsh.

what does your .ashrc look like?

Offline

#57 2021-04-13 13:31:54

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

dice wrote:

what does your .ashrc look like?

Here:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dash/-/ … ash.config

But you probably know that ash is superseded by Dash in Debian since DebianSarge....for interactive shell i use tcsh...


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#58 2021-04-13 13:35:04

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Do not use bloated window managers. Just use dwm smile


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#59 2021-04-13 13:44:25

dice
Member
Registered: 2020-11-22
Posts: 559  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Ogis1975 wrote:
dice wrote:

what does your .ashrc look like?

Here:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dash/-/ … ash.config

But you probably know that ash is superseded by Dash in Debian since DebianSarge....for interactive shell i use tcsh...

I learnt a few pointers from kisslinux (now defunct i think) about how to go about using ash as main shell. I tried it awhile ago and it works ok.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kisslinux/comm … ain_shell/

Offline

#60 2021-04-13 14:10:01

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Thank you for the link, dice.


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#61 2021-04-13 14:20:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,723  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Ogis1975 wrote:

ash is superseded by Dash in Debian since DebianSarge

You can still use ash in De??an:

# apt install busybox
# ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/ash
# echo '/bin/ash' >> /etc/shells

Alpine Linux uses busybox's ash as their default shell and it's very nice.

EDIT: actually I think that's the same as dash: https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ash/#busybox

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-04-13 14:39:11)


antifa ftw!

Offline

#62 2021-04-13 14:59:47

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 143  

Re: Minimalism Tips

I went on a retreat to the Linux minimalism monastery, thinking I would be sleeping in a simple but comfortable bedroom, only to discover a spartan cell, offering nothing but a bed of nails.

(Inspired by https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spartan.)

I mean, if you like pain, suit yourself. A reasonable notion of minimalism looks quite different than just about everything that has been posted in this thread, though, if you ask me.

For example, I'd like to have a well-thought-out GUI with an Apply button for configuring urxvt, especially the appearance part, because that would spare me the mental overhead and frustration involved in editing ~/.Xresources and then reloading the settings manually. In fact, I'd very much prefer such a GUI for configuring all of my desktop environment to having to deal with configuration files in three different standard locations using five different formats.

Offline

#63 2021-04-13 15:24:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,723  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

msi wrote:

the mental overhead and frustration involved in editing ~/.Xresources and then reloading the settings manually

Urxvt will read ~/.Xdefaults automatically (if no X resources are already set) with no need to reload with xrdb.

GUIs are horrible — why would I want to waste my life scrolling through endless reels of menu options when I can just edit a file directly in a fraction of the time?

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-04-13 15:24:56)


antifa ftw!

Offline

#64 2021-04-13 15:24:34

dice
Member
Registered: 2020-11-22
Posts: 559  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

msi wrote:

I went on a retreat to the Linux minimalism monastery, thinking I would be sleeping in a simple but comfortable bedroom, only to discover a spartan cell, offering nothing but a bed of nails.

(Inspired by https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spartan.)

I mean, if you like pain, suit yourself. A reasonable notion of minimalism looks quite different than just about everything that has been posted in this thread, though, if you ask me.

For example, I'd like to have a well-thought-out GUI with an Apply button for configuring urxvt, especially the appearance part, because that would spare me the mental overhead and frustration involved in editing ~/.Xresources and then reloading the settings manually. In fact, I'd very much prefer such a GUI for configuring all of my desktop environment to having to deal with configuration files in three different standard locations using five different formats.

You want a button for something that is set and forget, BLOAT.

Offline

#65 2021-04-13 15:56:59

yeti
Member
From: I'm not here: U R halucinating
Registered: 2017-02-23
Posts: 255  

Re: Minimalism Tips


𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖘 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖙 𝕺𝖗𝖌𝖒𝖔𝖉𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖚𝖎𝖘𝖍𝖆𝖇𝖑𝖊 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖈.  – 𝖞𝖊𝖙𝖎.
𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝖚𝖓𝖘𝖚𝖇𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖎𝖇𝖊!

Offline

#66 2021-04-13 17:52:13

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 143  

Re: Minimalism Tips

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Urxvt will read ~/.Xdefaults automatically (if no X resources are already set) with no need to reload with xrdb.

When does that file get read, though? I was talking about being able to change the settings for a running instance of urxvt on the fly in a hassle-free way.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

GUIs are horrible…

Quite on the contrary, well-designed GUIs (or beyond-“command line and plain text” interfaces in general) can be extremely empowering and, in fact, provide a way of (more) direct manipulation of data that, arguably, makes editing plain text files in an editor look like possibly not the best approach to quite a few problems. See, for example, Alan Kay's 1987 lecture Doing with Images Makes Symbols: Communicating with Computers or the talk on The Future of Programming that Bret Victor gave in 2013.

Throwing the “command line and plain text” paradigm at everything is indeed an anti-pattern and doesn't really have anything to do with minimalism per se.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

[W]hy would I want to waste my life scrolling through endless reels of menu options when I can just edit a file directly in a fraction of the time?

Why, on the other hand, would I want to waste my life scrolling (or pattern-matching) through endless plain text files using arguably obscure data formats – for which I will often have to write an ad-hoc parser to get meaningful results – when I could just point and click at a checkbox and get the desired result immediately?

Last edited by msi (2021-04-13 17:54:31)

Offline

#67 2021-04-13 19:00:47

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 1,098  

Re: Minimalism Tips

At the risk of looking foolish...which I'm prone to do...  tongue

A lot of these minimalistified examples can be made into desktop files or aliases...which is what I do with almost all of mine. That cuts out the need to remember (or record) a ton of different  commands.

However...I still like floaty window managers and GUI stuff too. big_smile  tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2021-04-13 19:02:56)


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#68 2021-04-13 19:28:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,723  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

msi wrote:

When does that file get read, though? I was talking about being able to change the settings for a running instance of urxvt on the fly in a hassle-free way.

The file is read on startup. Urxvt doesn't do "on the fly" changes (AFAIK).

msi wrote:

Throwing the “command line and plain text” paradigm at everything is indeed an anti-pattern and doesn't really have anything to do with minimalism per se.

I was just stating my preference, that's all.


antifa ftw!

Offline

#69 2021-04-14 02:00:07

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 1,098  

Re: Minimalism Tips

Hahahahaha! big_smile


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#70 2021-04-14 11:00:37

MLEvD
Member
Registered: 2021-02-14
Posts: 91  

Re: Minimalism Tips

I always to basic math on my portable desktop nokia c2-01 feature phone. Useful for calculating number of 8M blocks needed to backup anything from 1.1 to 7.51 GiB of eee pc drive.

Offline

#71 2021-04-14 13:34:31

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Do not use bloated gui torrent clients. Just use aria2


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#72 2021-04-14 13:35:40

Ogis1975
Member
Registered: 2017-04-21
Posts: 200  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Ogis1975 wrote:

ash is superseded by Dash in Debian since DebianSarge

You can still use ash in De??an:

# apt install busybox
# ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/ash
# echo '/bin/ash' >> /etc/shells

Alpine Linux uses busybox's ash as their default shell and it's very nice.

EDIT: actually I think that's the same as dash: https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ash/#busybox

Thanks for the helpful advice  smile


MyLiveMatter

Offline

#73 2021-04-14 17:42:22

andyprough
Member
Registered: 2019-10-19
Posts: 117  

Re: Minimalism Tips

Do not use bloated gui web browsers. If you can't do it with elinks or links2, you probably didn't need to do it anyway.


Primary Computer - Commodore 64: Processor - MOS 6510/8500, 1.023MHz; Memory - 64kb RAM, 20kB ROM - 8k BASIC V2, 8k Kernel, 4k Character ROM; Display output - 320x200, 16 colours; OS - BASIC V2.0; Weight: 1.8kg

Offline

#74 2021-04-14 19:01:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,723  
Website

Re: Minimalism Tips

andyprough wrote:

elinks or links2

Bloat!

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/poli … q=edbrowse

Oops, I did it again...


antifa ftw!

Offline

#75 2021-04-14 19:54:27

yeti
Member
From: I'm not here: U R halucinating
Registered: 2017-02-23
Posts: 255  

Re: Minimalism Tips

andyprough wrote:

If you can't do it with elinks or links2, you probably didn't need to do it anyway.

Look at which protocols can be activated at compile time!
Even FSP!
And that is file transfer antibloat!  \o/
Let's launch some FSP-Servers again!

––––––––––
Edit: I mean "in Elinks"...

Last edited by yeti (2021-04-14 20:04:21)


𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖘 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖙 𝕺𝖗𝖌𝖒𝖔𝖉𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖚𝖎𝖘𝖍𝖆𝖇𝖑𝖊 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖈.  – 𝖞𝖊𝖙𝖎.
𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝖚𝖓𝖘𝖚𝖇𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖎𝖇𝖊!

Offline

Board footer