The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-29 20:03:07

ve1drg

Ethernet driver needed for Devuan_jessie 1.0.0_amd64 installation

I have a new computer ,  a Dell XPS 8930 which has a problem with ethernet drivers. 

It is new enough that the Devuan_jessie software can't find the ethernet driver .  As a result I cant install this software on this computer.

I have been trying to find a way to get a driver for this installation but I am working from a windows installation hoping to have Devuan on a second hard drive.  Simple to do,  but since I am only operating from Windows right now - I cant do simple ;apt-get install' commands or sudo dpkg -i linux-fiormware...etc'.

So I need to find a way to get that driver on a usb drive,  so I can tell Devuan during the installation process that the driver is here.

There has to be a way to do this.  And I am sure someone else somewhere in this world has a driver for the new xps8930 dell desktop unit.

I have done a lot of searches for the software and it is there.... but how do i get it on this usb drive?

The network controller is  'killer E2400 gigabit ethernet controller'. And there is also 'killer -PCIe -ethernet controller'.

Also if I could run 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb'
Followed by 'sudo modprobe -r ath10k_pci && sudo modprobe ath10k_pci'   .....I would have it made.

I just dont know how to get that driver unto a usb stick where I am working in windows,.  But there must be  a way..

Any thoughts would be appreciated..

#2 2020-04-30 08:15:11

PedroReina
Website

Re: Ethernet driver needed for Devuan_jessie 1.0.0_amd64 installation

ve1drg wrote:

It is new enough that the Devuan_jessie software can't find the ethernet driver.

Is an aceptable option for your setup using a more up to date Devuan version?

#3 2020-04-30 10:13:40

fsmithred
Administrator

Jessie has about a month of long term support remaining. Ascii or beowulf would be a better choice.

The devuan live isos have some non-free firmware installed, and ath10k_pci is present in ascii and beowulf.

The devuan installer isos have non-free firmware packages that will be automatically installed if your hardware requires it. (You can exclude non-free software if you choose Expert install.)

#4 2020-04-30 13:28:04

ve1drg

Agreed something newer would fix my problem but because of what others are using it was agreed we would all run the same software/version.

That is how Devuan-jessie came about.  But you guys are right-beowulf works ok as far as the ethernet drivers are concerned.

I was hoping there was an easy way to get the drivers for ethernet and put them on a usb stick and  then install Devuan_jessie right there.

Thanks anyway for your thoughts..

#5 2020-04-30 14:31:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ve1drg wrote:

I just dont know how to get that driver unto a usb stick where I am working in windows

You can use FAT or NTFS on the USB stick if you want it to be readable in both Windows and GNU/Linux.

Although the Devuan packages site doesn't allow for direct downloads of the .deb packages the Debian packages site does so you could use that instead in a pinch.

But note that almost all drivers are included with the kernel so you can't really download those, as such. Firmware packages are fine though and they have no dependencies so it's even "safe" to install firmware .debs from sid.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Board footer