The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-04 19:31:44

geki

Devuan Beowulf up and running and quite sweet

Hi all,

I got a new laptop, RL is taking more and more of my time and do not want to waste that additional spare time any longer on the update and upgrade paths necessary to take with Gentoo. I somehow had to fiddle with stuff eating even more time.

Now then, since I am such a Gentooer wink, I want a slim install. And what is there coming to the paranoid's rescue?

apt-get --no-install-recommends

Nothing more to say. big_smile

Upgrade from Ascii to Beowulf went smooth, but that one boot to grub console - wtf? Booted once more with installer, aborted and next boot Beowulf with MATE came to life and ever since - Ok lucky. Boot up feels faster as with OpenRC non-parallel mode.

Well, just another happy user for now. Greetings.

Last edited by geki (2019-02-09 00:48:58)

#2 2019-02-04 20:00:18

PedroReina
Website

Re: Devuan Beowulf up and running and quite sweet

geki wrote:

Hi all

Welcome! Gentoo is a great distro IMHO. I tried it a few times (from stage1), and (sorry) it is not for me (but I use SystemRescueCD, based on Gentoo, very often). You can tweak Devuan very deeply if you see fit. I think that you will feel at home with Devuan.

#3 2019-02-06 16:45:09

fsmithred
Administrator

geki wrote:

Upgrade from Ascii to Beowulf went smooth, but that one boot to grub console - wtf? Booted once more with installer, aborted and next boot Beowulf with MATE came to life and ever since

Welcome to devuan. If you found "no-install-recommends" on your first day, you will do fine here.

I know there's an issue with grub-install in uefi with the signed bootloader. You get EFI/devuan on the efi partition, but the bootloader looks for EFI/debian, and you end up with a grub promp instead of a boot menu. I don't understand what you did when you booted with the installer and fixed it.

The fixes I know about are to either remove grub-efi-amd64-signed and run 'grub-install' and 'update-grub' or else run 'grub-install --bootloader-id=debian' and then 'update-grub'.

#4 2019-02-09 00:47:47

geki

fsmithred I actually removed grub-efi-amd64-signed at some point. And some apt-get task reinstalled grub as you described surely. Though, I had that grub console repeatedly. Then booting the installer, aborted and rebooted and grub menu popped up. Well, just a lucky moment. Should not happen - I just dunno. roll

Board footer