The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 10:30:41

MiyoLinux

[MiyoLinux] Simple instructions for making an .iso

This is a quick guide for how to make an installable .iso from an existing MiyoLinux installation.

It will produce an .iso using the existing configurations and background images from the original Miyo .iso...unless a user has changed some of the configuration files/images, and unless a user allowed the Refracta configuration files to be replaced when upgrading Miyo Jessie to Ascii.

To make an .iso in Miyo...

1. Open the file manager as root, and go to...

/usr/share/applications

2. Once there, find the "Refracta Installer".

Right-click on it, and open it with your text editor. Find the line NoDisplay=true and place a # symbol in front of it so that it looks like this...

#NoDisplay=true 

...then save and close the file. The Refracta Installer should then be in your menu.

If you don't want it in your menu, then negate those instructions, and simply copy and paste the Refracta Installer from /usr/share/applications into your Desktop Folder. You'll be able to access the installer there and it will remove the installer from the Desktop folder after installation.

3. (Optional) Run Bleachbit and Bleachbit as root to remove junk to help make your .iso smaller.

4. Open your terminal, and run the following command...

sudo refractasnapshot

A bunch of information will pop up in the terminal. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll down until it says Press q to quit. Press q and you'll see a numerical list of options. To make an .iso that can be installed, press 1 on your keyboard (can't remember if you have to hit Enter on your keyboard also...sorry).

That will give you a line where you can change the name that appears in the live version's grub screen. Change it to whatever you'd like if you want to!  smile

THEN...hit Enter on your keyboard. It will then start building your .iso. Be patient, and don't close the terminal until it's finished. It will let you know when it's finished. I think it will say something like "All finished or All done!

5. To find your .iso, open your file manager (no need to be root).

Click File System in the side pane.
Open the Home folder.
There will be a folder with your name and a couple of other folders...can't remember their names...perhaps snapshot and work (?). Regardless, your .iso will be in one of those folders...along with a checksum file.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-02-28 10:38:25)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2018-03-08 22:35:31

stanz

Re: [MiyoLinux] Simple instructions for making an .iso

I just keep thankin`ya dude smile
I cannot reproduce what left me with empty iso's...but its smooth sailing now!
I did tweak the snapshot conf & exclude list ~ not that I think it changed something.

When ya mentioned putting the installer in the menu or on desktop, the bulb went on
in my brain-space...we need it there (accessible) to do the new install ay!? tongue

(Optional) Run Bleachbit and Bleachbit as root to remove junk to help make your .iso smaller.

Really a good thing to do!
I gotta figure out how & what to include for Pale Moon cleansing...

press 1 on your keyboard (can't remember if you have to hit Enter on your keyboard also...sorry).

Yep - gots to hit Enter, after the choice is press`ed in... don't wait like I first did! tongue

Thx....asta~

miyoisomix.i2p

#3 2018-03-08 23:09:59

MiyoLinux

Hooray!

I'm glad it's working now...the thanks should really go to fsmithred for all that he does in providing the Refracta tools. wink

There are several more config files to explore and edit...and background images to replace with your own...but before long, you'll get hooked, and we'll see a new derivative from you. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#4 2018-03-10 01:11:32

stanz

Thx man...
I guess I'll need to install Refracta, & learn more...cause

MiyoLinux wrote:

but before long, you'll get hooked, and we'll see a new derivative from you. smile

I may have created a hobby, please visit what...I posted..

tongue  muhahahaha  smile

miyoisomix.i2p

#5 2018-03-10 23:56:43

MiyoLinux

stanz wrote:

Thx man...
I guess I'll need to install Refracta, & learn more...cause

MiyoLinux wrote:

but before long, you'll get hooked, and we'll see a new derivative from you. smile

I may have created a hobby, please visit what...I posted..

tongue  muhahahaha  smile

Get'r done stanz! Good luck! I'd like to see that come to fruition. smile

Board footer