The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-31 04:08:11

MiyoLinux

recordmydesktop: testing it, because it doesn't require pulseaudio?

In the past, I've always used Kazam to record screen capture videos...which meant installing pulseaudio. However, as I venture more into the world of no pulseaudio, it seems that not many screencast applications are available without needing it. tongue

I was wanting to make a quick video of Miyo-XTRA without having to install pulseaudio, and recordmydesktop apparently doesn't require it, but it's not the best video-super-capturer in the world. LOL! Still, I'm playing around with it, and making progress using the recordmydesktop and GTK recordmydesktop packages...

Apparently...from my limited time with it, the default 15 fps works best. I tried 25 fps, but it looked like a jigsaw puzzle on the screen when I watched the video on VLC.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice about using it? smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2017-09-02 13:01:48

MiyoLinux

Re: recordmydesktop: testing it, because it doesn't require pulseaudio?

Yeah...still not happy with recordmydesktop. sad

So...I'm going to compromise and use Vokoscreen. It does require pulseaudio-utils, and both libpulse0 and libpulsedsp were pulled in; however, alsa is still in control...so I'm happy with that at this point.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#3 2017-09-05 18:10:29

Kelsoo

This is what I use on my Dragora setup. I place it in a bash script in /usr/local/bin naming the file screencast and access it from my openbox menu.

The only real thing I need to change between machines is the soundcard I have my usb mic load after the onboard card (card:0) as hw:1 then change the screen size to suit .

xterm -e ffmpeg  -f alsa -ac 1 -ar 44100 -i hw:1  -video_size 1680x1050 -framerate 30 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -vcodec libx264 -crf 23 -preset ultrafast cature`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.mkv

#4 2017-09-05 22:54:48

MiyoLinux

Kelsoo wrote:

This is what I use on my Dragora setup. I place it in a bash script in /usr/local/bin naming the file screencast and access it from my openbox menu.

The only real thing I need to change between machines is the soundcard I have my usb mic load after the onboard card (card:0) as hw:1 then change the screen size to suit .

xterm -e ffmpeg  -f alsa -ac 1 -ar 44100 -i hw:1  -video_size 1680x1050 -framerate 30 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -vcodec libx264 -crf 23 -preset ultrafast cature`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.mkv

Thanks Kelsoo! I'll give this a spin soon. Until then, I bow to your geniousness! smile

#5 2017-09-06 01:16:02

MiyoLinux

The video...made with Vokoscreen...and edited with Openshot.

https://youtu.be/7UZ9qvYdnw0

#6 2017-09-07 20:19:55

greenjeans
Website

You know you can do this with just VLC right?  File >> Capture device >> and then hit the dropdown "capture mode" at the top and change from  "Video camera" to "desktop".

While on this subject, if you get a chance, will you try this in terminal or gmrun :

vlc v4l2://

FYI that's an 'L' after the 4, it's actually video4linux2, first time I tried it I thought it was a one.

That should launch your webcam with VLC, trying to see if this universally works, works on all my machines, v4l does a great job of figuring out the correct device.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-09-07 23:04:35)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#7 2017-09-07 23:15:52

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

You know you can do this with just VLC right?  File >> Capture device >> and then hit the dropdown "capture mode" at the top and change from  "Video camera" to "desktop".

While on this subject, if you get a chance, will you try this in terminal or gmrun :

FYI that's an 'L' after the 4, it's actually video4linux2, first time I tried it I thought it was a one.

That should launch your webcam with VLC, trying to see if this universally works, works on all my machines, v4l does a great job of figuring out the correct device.

Yes, but I like playing around with different applications sometimes. big_smile

I've never seen that command before though. I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow though. Grrr...

Thanks greenjeans!

#8 2017-09-08 11:26:11

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

trying to see if this universally works

I've never seen that command before though. I won't be able to try it out until tomorrow though. Grrr...

Thanks greenjeans!

It worked on my Toshiba laptop. wink Took it about 10 seconds before it started the first time. After that first run, it appears almost instantaneously after that. smile  Thanks greenjeans!

Here's my computer info...if you want to see how it compares to yours...since you mentioned wanting to see if the command works universally. wink

inxi -Fx
System:    Host: miyolinux Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) 
           Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 Distro: Devuan GNU/Linux 1 
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L505D v: PSLV6U-025007
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC Bios: Insyde v: 1.10 date: 12/17/2009
CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion II Mobile M520 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 9177 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2100 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) 
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller
           driver: rtl8192se port: 7000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: not tellin' ! 
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 6000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: not tellin' !
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (6.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MJA2320B size: 320.1GB temp: 32C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 214G used: 16G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.20GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda11 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.5C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 120 Uptime: 23 min Memory: 721.3/3708.8MB 
           Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28 

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-09-08 11:29:10)

#9 2017-09-08 14:52:28

garyz.dev1

MiyoLinux wrote:

greenjeans wrote:

Thanks greenjeans!

I tried this on my Jessie 1.0

olzeke51@devuan:~$ vlc v4l2://
VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)
[000000000132f118] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[00007f4c0c000ec8] v4l2 demux error: cannot open device '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
[00007f4c0c000ec8] v4l2 demux error: cannot open device '/dev/radio0': No such file or directory
[00007f4c0c000ec8] v4l2 access error: cannot open device '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
[00007f4c18000bc8] core input error: open of `v4l2://' failed
olzeke51@devuan:~$

and when VLC opened up it's gui - I got an error gui popup also :: with the following

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'v4l2://'. Check the log for details.

Don't know what I am doing - but hope this helps (muddy the waters??)

#10 2017-09-08 17:09:29

MiyoLinux

garyz.dev1 wrote:

MiyoLinux wrote:

greenjeans wrote:

Thanks greenjeans!

I tried this on my Jessie 1.0

olzeke51@devuan:~$ vlc v4l2://
VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)
[000000000132f118] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[00007f4c0c000ec8] v4l2 demux error: cannot open device '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
[00007f4c0c000ec8] v4l2 demux error: cannot open device '/dev/radio0': No such file or directory
[00007f4c0c000ec8] v4l2 access error: cannot open device '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
[00007f4c18000bc8] core input error: open of `v4l2://' failed
olzeke51@devuan:~$

and when VLC opened up it's gui - I got an error gui popup also :: with the following

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'v4l2://'. Check the log for details.

Don't know what I am doing - but hope this helps (muddy the waters??)

gary, read all of this before trying anything...

Hmmm...did you install VLC through the terminal?

Just asking because of previous conversations we've had on this forum regarding installing VLC via the terminal vs. installing it through Synaptic.

One thing I've noticed since greenjeans turned me onto this VLC webcam ability, I originally opened it with gmrun, and if I open VLC's ability to use my computer's camera with the command given...

...it shows the player controls (looks just like VLC's normal interface).

I just tried it by opening it with the terminal, and I was given a message...

Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

So, I entered this in the terminal...

cvlc v4l2://

...and it showed without the player controls on the interface. smile  Just a normal window; such as, what you would see if using guvcview (or cheese). I also tried it with gmrun, and it works there too.

gary, try that command to see if it works.

HOWEVER...just closing the window doesn't close it (I noticed the webcam light was still on after closing the window). I had to open gmrun and enter...

killall vlc

...to completely close it out.

That code works with the terminal also.

Until I discovered that problem, even when I would enter the original command, I would get an error message similar to what you described. So...my only advice is to make sure you don't already have a running instance of VLC. That's just a guess. After I killed VLC, I could use either command. However, each time I used the "cvlc" command, I would have to use the "killall vlc" command to completely close it out...or I would get the error message when using the command that greenjeans shared.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-09-08 18:12:57)

#11 2017-09-08 22:39:23

greenjeans
Website

Such good info guys, thanks!!

Yeah I tried that cvlc command too and it's really cool without all the toolbars, but unfortunately no controls when you run that way.

If we could figure out a way to fool that controlless window into thinking it's been maximized to fullscreen, then maybe we could get the popup controls that appear when you are running regular video/DVD fullscreen to work with the webcam "cvlc" window??

Wouldn't that be trick? I started messing with it looking for an way to give folks an easy solution for playing with their webcam without having to install Cheese or something else, since VLC is already installed on my stuff and already does everything anyway.....was hoping at least the v4l2:// command was mostly universal so I could maybe add a menu entry for convenience.

cvlc v4l2:// --fullscreen

will give you the window fullscreen, you can hit escape once and it will shrink some and you have the regular window controls in the upper left, but no popup menu sadly.

Not having the problem with it shutting down like Miyo is though, weird.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-09-08 22:40:28)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Board footer