The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-07 23:33:17

Cheerful Charlie

Post Install House Keeping

For those of us not familiar with the Debian way of doing things, or Devuan for that matter, is there a list somewhere of things that need to be done post install of Devuan?  A checklist to guide one along as painless a process of getting up and running as possible?  Basic house keeping that needs doing?  I so far don't see such a thing.  It would probably go a long way to increasing Devuan's popularity long term if such a reassuring post install guide existed.  A guide for newbies or even for those who simply want to read the list and speed ahead to get it all done right.

My own list of things to do is getting long and chaotic, and I keep having a sneaking suspicion I am missing stuff.

Cheerful Charlie

#2 2018-06-07 23:58:10

golinux
Administrator

Re: Post Install House Keeping

The release notes for the upcoming stable are quite detailed and might help walk you through some of the pitfalls of an ASCII install/upgrade.   There are also dev1fanboy's install and upgrade guides on the website.  Of course every user has different needs and every release has different pitfalls and not all of those cases can be addressed.

#3 2018-06-08 06:25:43

devuser

I agree with golinux. Aside from updates there is little to do and even upgrading to new releases can be postponed for quite a long time (even Wheezy just reached EOL a couple days ago). So usually as long as you regularly run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade (or rather apt-get dist-upgrade these days) you should be fine.

As far as first steps go i don't think those can be generalized beyond updating the system. For example i usually install systems by deselecting everything (even standard system utilities) in the installer which is unlikely to be a very common choice and my first step (after updating) of installing Midnight Commander might not be everyone's cup of tea either.

There is a couple things that could be called good practice but these usually only apply to special use cases like installing localepurge, deleting apt's package cache or even setting up dpkg configs to avoid installing certain files on systems with little disk space but then how many people are installing to a 256MB CF card and even if they do it's unlikely to happen using the official installer in the first place.

#4 2018-06-08 23:04:24

ivanovnegro

I guess "Universal Operating System" applies here.
There is only so much to do after installing as the user sees fit.

Of course every individual will have his/her own preferences and you could ask every one of them what they consider important post-install.

#5 2018-06-09 13:50:02

Panopticon

Ive installed devuan a dozen or more times and on my setup usually worked fine, but i am using older hardware and the reason i i have installed so many times is i am addicted to linux. The one litmus test i have atm is a dual core machine that is my media pc (video audio) and has not been updated yet, im waiting for stable ascii so far it has been running fine on rc1 openrc for about 3 months i think.

Post install house keeping to me is making the web browser safe to use, use a host file and protect privacy but i dont use social media only forums but thats not to say im not prone to misuse. Other than that if you are satisfied with Devuan post install should require that you seek to backup your system for backups i highly recommend fsarchiver

Last edited by Panopticon (2018-06-09 13:50:54)

#6 2018-06-09 14:08:42

devuser

Panopticon wrote:

Post install house keeping to me is making the web browser safe to use

That's a good one. To me a system that doesn't have at least NoScript, Random User Agent Spoofer (brilliant but sadly abandoned - gotta check if some fork has appeared by now continuing development) and and some adblocker installed just feels scary.

Board footer