The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-18 21:11:06

dxrobertson

Manual Install Lightdm Polkit Problem

The purpose of this post is to report a problem I had with the RC install.

I installed RC graphic expert and did not install any desktop.  I then manually installed lightdm (and then kde-plasma-desktop but thats irelevant).  Upon reboot I  had the polkit problems of could not mount a different partition, could not shutdown...  Having encounted this before, I knew it was a polkit problem. 

The apt-get install ightdm had installed libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0 and libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0.  To fix I then apt-get installed libpolkit-backend-elogind-1-0 and this installed libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0 as well.  All is ok now.

Does this need to be addressed, a standalone install of lightdm install the wrong polkit?  Should I file a bug?  My install is fine now as far as I can tell, just wanted to report this.

#2 2018-05-18 21:32:32

golinux
Administrator

Re: Manual Install Lightdm Polkit Problem

This comment is from our last meet.  Someone else reported a similar problem with KDE:

(KatolaZ) Installation of the correct set of polkit stuff is guaranteed only through task-*-desktop

We should probably list somewhere exactly what packages are needed for which desktop.

#3 2018-05-18 21:40:06

fsmithred
Administrator

Well, if you had a different desktop, it would be the right polkit. Maybe it would have worked better if you installed kde first. Not sure of that. If you choose kde from the installer, it installs task-kde-desktop, which would pull in the right libpolkit packages. But if you install the plasma-dekstop parts without the task- package, you get whatever kde thinks it should have.

I think I see the problem. Instead of depending on consolekit, it should probably depend on consolekit or elogind. But lightdm is not one of the packages that we change.

A bug report to devuan might be good to remind us that it's a problem, so that the solution becomes common knowledge. It also might motivate someone to fix it.

I have no idea what a bug report to debian would do. Theyre probably not interested in making a package depend on a package that isn't in their repo. (i.e. elogind)

# apt-cache depends lightdm
lightdm
  Depends: adduser
  Depends: dbus
 |Depends: <libpam-systemd>
    libpam-elogind
  Depends: consolekit
 |Depends: lightdm-gtk-greeter
  Depends: <lightdm-greeter>
    lightdm-gtk-greeter
    lightdm-kde-greeter
<snip>

#4 2018-05-18 21:46:01

golinux
Administrator

@fsmithred . . . would be a good idea to have a thread here listing backend combos needed for each desktop that we could link to.

#5 2018-05-18 22:03:53

dxrobertson

@fsmithred-
That seems to be the situation I encountered.  It was the lightdm install (done first, no desktop yet) that installed consolekit (and not elogind).  Then the kde-plasma-desktop install performed after didnt install/care about libpolkit. 

Perhaps in regards to golinux post; I have also installed desktop and kde "properly" by selecting them both at software install selection time and the correct elogind stuff does get installed, no issues there; so thats good.

#6 2018-05-18 22:10:47

figdev

slightly related: is elogind still "beta" like or how long has it been in common use in devuan?

its a vague question that welcomes a vague answer-- about a component being used as part of a solution (or seemingly related to) software talked about in this thread. just looking for a simple opinion (at least that suffices) from a user or anybody familiar.

#7 2018-05-18 22:46:04

dxrobertson

From my user perspective, not sure of the beta/prod status of elogind; seems to be production to me.  I have Devuan 2 running on 3 pcs as daily use with elogind and havent had any problems.  elogind seems to be a viable solution to polkit problems when not using systemd; a very good thing.

#8 2018-05-18 22:55:03

figdev

thanks very much, exactly the sort of response (positive, negative or just realistic) i was looking for.

i will probably be using elogind before i know it; since its rare that i run a de more complex than icewm (i have sometimes) i guess it could be a while, unless it comes in anyway.

#9 2018-05-18 23:36:53

fsmithred
Administrator

fig, I'm pretty sure you already are using elogind. Look under the hood.

elogind has been around for a few months. It was forked from gentoo. That, and the corresponding libraries allow us to offer more desktops in the installer.

It's elogind and libpam-elogind for kde, cinnamon and lxqt;
consolekit and libpam-ck-connector for xfce and mate.

lxde is a little more confusing, because it can provide a couple more 'kits to get in the way. It's possible to install and use it, but it wasn't coming out of the box right, so we removed it from the tasksel list.

And those are not the only combinations that work.

I made a chart when the beta was released, but it's obsolete. Things have changed.

#10 2018-05-18 23:39:17

dxrobertson

After thinking about this, elogind must be production status.  There is no beta in the name.  I would assume Gentoo has something to do with it, thus its solid.

#11 2018-05-18 23:51:41

figdev

fsmithred wrote:

fig, I'm pretty sure you already are using elogind. Look under the hood.

elogind has been around for a few months. It was forked from gentoo. That, and the corresponding libraries allow us to offer more desktops in the installer.

It's elogind and libpam-elogind for kde, cinnamon and lxqt;
consolekit and libpam-ck-connector for xfce and mate.

a very understandable assumption, but incorrect; as i guessed, due to the fact that im running icewm, elogind is simply nowhere on the entire system.

there is in the fig os installer i think, even a .so with pam-elogind but it did not install, likely due to not being needed. would it if needed? probably-- havent tried it. very much of note: this system was dist-upgraded from devuan/refracta/fig os jessie. that could be it, too.

Last edited by figdev (2018-05-18 23:54:05)

#12 2018-05-19 00:00:10

dxrobertson

fsmithred-
I get it now.  Didnt realize the different implementations of polkit across various desktops. It makes total sense now why consolekit was installed by lightdm.  Probably not much chance to standardize on a single implementation across the various environments?

#13 2018-05-19 00:05:21

dxrobertson

figdev- the polkit version would be:

apt list --installed | grep libpolkit

Last edited by dxrobertson (2018-05-19 00:17:17)

#14 2018-05-19 00:23:48

dxrobertson

golinux, fsmithred-
Would it be of any benefit to redo my install and install kde-plasma-desktop FIRST and then lightdm?  Do we care?

the reason I install kde-plasma-desktop as opposed to kde-standard is I am interested in a basic install with the least amount of extra software as possible.

Last edited by dxrobertson (2018-05-19 00:24:57)

#15 2018-05-19 00:55:03

fsmithred
Administrator

No, don't re-do your install. If you do, you'll get the task- package, and that might get in your way if you want to be selective about what parts to keep. (Try to remove one piece that the task package depends on, and your entire desktop goes on the autoremove list.)

I don't know if anyone gave you this link, but here are Irrwahn's instructions on which polkit libs you need:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=8217#p8217

#16 2018-05-19 01:17:25

figdev

not sure why this was requested, or if it was advice but sure, no problem:

$ apt list --installed | grep libpolkit
libpolkit-agent-1-0/testing,now 0.105-18+devuan2.9 i386 [installed,automatic]
libpolkit-backend-1-0/testing,now 0.105-18+devuan2.9 all [installed,automatic]
libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0/testing,now 0.105-18+devuan2.9 i386 [installed]
libpolkit-gobject-1-0/testing,now 0.105-18+devuan2.9 all [installed,automatic]
libpolkit-gobject-consolekit-1-0/testing,now 0.105-18+devuan2.9 i386 [installed]
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep -v "#"
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii main
deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii main

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-security main

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-updates main 

Last edited by figdev (2018-05-19 01:19:50)

#17 2018-05-19 09:01:45

rolfie

Got my own fight ongoing with this issue: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2023

I just did a manual built graphical system based on ASCII RC in VBox. First installed xorg, the lightdm and finally mate. The console kit stuff was pulled by xorg already.

Regards, rolfie

#18 2018-05-20 19:35:53

mknoop

I had a related problem with a fresh installation of ascii with xfce4.  The shutdown and restart buttons were disabled on the action button menu in the panel.  Based on things I had seen in other forums, I installed policykit-1.  It pulled in a few other packages.  After a logout and login the problem was fixed.

Board footer