The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-07 20:57:12

Ron

[SOLVED] Alarm Clock App

There's a small app I used to use on Mint, called Alarm Clock. I've tried it on Devaun (Miyo) but it doesn't work right (on both Jessie and ASCII). I use it for its timer function. You set it for say, 5 or 10 minutes, and then when it reaches "0" it plays a sound file of your choosing. It's pretty handy if you have something on the stove-top you don't want to forget. Can anyone suggest to me something else like this that works on Devuan? Or even better, how to get Alarm Clock working on Devuan?

Last edited by Ron (2018-05-08 15:18:06)

#2 2018-05-07 21:13:37

MiyoLinux

Re: [SOLVED] Alarm Clock App

There's an alarm-clock package available in ASCII...not sure about Jessie, and I know nothing about it. wink

Is this what you installed?

alarm-clock-applet

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-05-07 21:16:42

Ron

Yes, that's it. It doesn't work on my system, on either Jessie or ASCII.

#4 2018-05-07 22:03:19

MiyoLinux

You're right, it's not working out of the box in Miyo; however, I just got it working...only tested with a .mp3 file on ASCII.

I don't remember what I did that showed me what was needed, but it said that I was missing a gstreamer plugin.

So, I installed both of the following packages. You might want to do them one at a time if you're not wanting packages on your system that you don't need. Also, it still didn't work until I rebooted for some reason.

Here are the two items that I installed...

gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly

gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad

Again...this was only tested with a .mp3 file on ASCII...and...you may not need both of those packages (and what comes with both of them).

Remember...Miyo is a base system, so it might take some exploring, trial and error, and who knows what to get your system how you want it. LOL! tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-07 22:05:25)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#5 2018-05-07 22:19:33

golinux
Administrator

I use the reminder plugin on gkrellm.  It can do repetitions on odd cycles like every 3 or 5 days etc.

#6 2018-05-07 22:22:29

Ron

Thanks MiyoLinux. I already had the "ugly" installed but I needed the "bad." So it's now working. If you can remember how you found out it needed both these plugins, I'd appreciate knowing. I searched last night and came up empty. I did look at the dependencies listed in Synaptic, and I had them all. But gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad wasn't listed in Synaptic. Why would that be? It lists gstreamer1.0-plugins-base & gstreamer1.0-plugins-good. (Is there a gstreamer package that includes all this stuff so a user wouldn't have to download a bunch of different ones?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Ron (2018-05-07 22:27:45)

#7 2018-05-07 22:44:09

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

I use the reminder plugin on gkrellm.  It can do repetitions on odd cycles like every 3 or 5 days etc.

I don't need no stinkin' reminders...my mind is like a steel-trap.

Well...perhaps a rusty steel-trap as you'll see in my response to Ron below. LOLOLOL!!! tongue

Ron wrote:

Thanks MiyoLinux. I already had the "ugly" installed but I needed the "bad." So it's now working. If you can remember how you found out it needed both these plugins, I'd appreciate knowing. I searched last night and came up empty. I did look at the dependencies listed in Synaptic, and I had them all. But gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad wasn't listed in Synaptic. Why would that be? It lists gstreamer1.0-plugins-base & gstreamer1.0-plugins-good. (Is there a gstreamer package that includes all this stuff so a user wouldn't have to download a bunch of different ones?

Thanks again.

You're very welcome! I'm just glad you have it working now!

Ron, I'll fess up here...I'm kind of like a savant. I just do things. I don't know how I know what to do, but they work. LOLOLOL!!! tongue

First thing I did was install the applet. Then I opened the terminal and ran...

alarm-clock-applet

That opened the applet on the Mate panel, but it didn't really tell me anything.

So...if memory serves me correctly (my rusty steel-trap), I played around with the GUI since I didn't know anything about it. Then, I tried playing an .mp3 file.

At this time, I'd like to announce that I tried playing the following .mp3 file..."Griffin Flight: by Gregoire Lourme". He has some great "Epic Music". Anyway...

I think...and I repeat that I think...a dialog window opened telling me that I was missing a gstreamer plugin. It didn't say which one I was missing; however, past experience with "missing gstreamer plugins" usually boils down to either the bad or ugly plugin...or both.

Edited to add: I can't answer why it didn't show "bad" as a missing dependency. Sorry.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-07 22:56:53)

Board footer