The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-28 23:45:12

devuan_dk_fan

Devuan minimal install with Trinity (TDE). Login goes black & returns

I have with the help of fsmithred and ralph.ronnquist gotten a minimal system up and running on my tower computer (thanks again guys). I followed the instructions for installing Trinity, from the Trinity site, as I have done with my laptop, but as usual, my tower computer is kicking up problems. At the login manager, the screen goes black when I try to login and then returns to the login manager after a few seconds. I am unable to log in. At first, I thought that the problem was related to my Nvidia GeForce 1030 graphics card, so I compiled the drivers and restarted. Now I have the correct screen resolution with the same problem. When I installed Trinity, I used the # apt install tde-trinity command as with my laptop. There were no errors of any kind that I noticed. I have also tried chrooting into the system from a Linux Mint system on another hard drive and looked at the syslog (see below), but I don't see anything that is problematic there either. Does anyone have experience with this kind of odd behavior?

# mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/devuan
# chroot /mnt/devuan
/# mount -t proc none /proc
/# mount -t sysfs none /sys
/# mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
/# tail /var/log/syslog
Jan 28 23:07:25 computer dhclient: bound to 192.168.8.101 -- renewal in 38089 seconds.
Jan 28 23:07:39 computer acpid: client 1957[0:0] has disconnected
Jan 28 23:07:39 computer acpid: client connected from 1957[0:0]
Jan 28 23:07:39 computer acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Jan 28 23:07:43 computer dbus[2073]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.Avahi': timed out
Jan 28 23:10:06 computer kernel: [  207.001384] nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0 (GPU-45c295ad-878d-bd0f-2a9a-43cfa84aef1e) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
Jan 28 23:10:06 computer shutdown[2667]: shutting down for system reboot
Jan 28 23:10:06 computer init: Switching to runlevel: 6                                                                                                                                                          
Jan 28 23:10:09 computer acpid: exiting                                                                                                                                                                          
Jan 28 23:10:10 computer rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.4.2" x-pid="1610" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

#2 2018-01-29 00:50:46

cynwulf

Re: Devuan minimal install with Trinity (TDE). Login goes black & returns

You can't actually compile the driver - it's a binary blob.

You may need to purge the packaged version of the driver and install a newer version from the vendor.  As it's an nvidia binary blob, your best bet is to head to their official forums and search/ask there.

#3 2018-01-29 01:08:21

golinux
Administrator

sgfxi used to work wonders to install invidia drivers directly from the official site.  But I haven't used it in years so ymmv.

#4 2018-01-29 02:14:53

devuan_dk_fan

Thanks for the quick replies. The problem as mentioned, pre-existed the install of the binary blob. I didn't have anything X installed before I installed the tde-trinity package, which should have pulled in everything necessary (and worked fine for my laptop). I compiled the blob using the script that I downloaded from the Nvidia site. The script requires among other things gcc, make, linux-headers, etc. so it must compile something.

Last edited by devuan_dk_fan (2018-01-29 08:07:24)

#5 2018-01-29 10:15:08

devuan_dk_fan

This appears to have been my fault. I believe that I caused the situation by using "startx" after installing Trinity, rather than rebooting first.

I tried a number of solutions, including installing another DE and purging Trinity, but with all my messing around, I at some point hosed the system and had to reinstall. Everything is working fine now.

Last edited by devuan_dk_fan (2018-01-29 10:30:56)

#6 2018-01-29 12:16:37

cynwulf

devuan_dk_fan wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies. The problem as mentioned, pre-existed the install of the binary blob. I didn't have anything X installed before I installed the tde-trinity package, which should have pulled in everything necessary (and worked fine for my laptop). I compiled the blob using the script that I downloaded from the Nvidia site. The script requires among other things gcc, make, linux-headers, etc. so it must compile something.

What is compiled is essentially "wrappers" and some "glue".  It's a binary driver.  Nvidia do not release specs to free software developers, let alone source code.  A kernel module is built for the target kernel, but that's a bit of a red herring - it's pretty much all binary.

#7 2018-01-29 13:23:48

devuan_dk_fan

Very interesting. Thank you for that.

Board footer