The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-28 05:51:30

inukaze

Rufus + Installer ISO + Dunnos/Request for next iso

Hi there, a few hours ago, i use my parent pc (with windows) and i use the "Installer ISO CD, 64 Bits" to put the installer on USB Stick. well i notice for example all things in the "firmware" folder on the root of structure, just are simbolic links,

1. i don't know why just simple dont copy the files, and copie the folder called "jessie" with the name "stable" instead a simbolic link. this is when the users put the installation on a USB Stick, by default Rufus prefer FAT32, just is because have major compatibility. and the full iso don't reach the 700MB with the files copied instead of simbolic links.

2. after install, the system don't have installed "Network Manager applet" in "Xfce". i dont understand why the default /etc/apt/sources.list is not with "deb{-src} http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie{-security,-updates} main contrib non-free"

my /etc/apt/sources.list is customize, and with spanish words (because i am from venezuela)

# Devuan - Repositorios de Binarios Precompilados :
deb http://co.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main contrib non-free			# Repositorio de Aplicaciones
deb http://co.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-security main contrib non-free		# Repositorio de Seguridad
deb http://co.mirror.devuan.org/merged/	jessie-updates main contrib non-free		# Repositorio de Actualizaciones

# Devuan Repositorios de Codigo Fuente para apt-build :
deb-src http://co.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main contrib non-free		# Repositorio de Aplicaciones
deb-src http://co.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-security main contrib non-free	# Repositorio de Seguridad
deb-src http://co.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free	# Repositorio de Actualizaciones

3. why the follow packages don't came with the installation of system ?
synaptic gksu libgksu2-dev network-manager-gnome xfce4-terminal libvte-common libvte9

i had installed Devuan on a Netbook. and for complete the installation base for have a working wifi. i must use my main pc with Slackware 14.2 + VirtualBox, and install inside virtualbox the packages i need, for copy files to the USB Stick. and copy the package files to netbook and install with dpkg

and this for me its very senseless workaround just for have network access + synaptic packages manager + gksu for have grafical superuser permissions, first asking the password, and the xfce4-terminal, because xterm is fine, but for the desktop is better xfce4-terminal, or qterminal if you want better bpp colours support.

4. the grub should say "Devuan" instead "Debian", and for the next iso, please put a background image. just must be 256 colours (8 Bits), not indexed. and any resolution supported by the pc, but for the next iso, use the same image in various resolutions. i really wish grub background add support for "svg" image, for use just one adaptable to any resolution

5. if is possible for the next iso, please add by default plymouth for boot process

6. in the official repositories, you don't have yet "VirtualBox", "cdemu" (cdemu-client, cdemu-daemon, gcdemu, libvhba, libmirage), mugshot, dockbarx, trinity desktop environtment ?

#2 2018-01-28 06:30:38

golinux
Administrator

Re: Rufus + Installer ISO + Dunnos/Request for next iso

I'll answer a few of these.

inukaze wrote:

2. after install, the system don't have installed "Network Manager applet" in "Xfce".

You can install it from either the Devuan specific repo or experimental.  Can't remember exactly where it's currently at.

5. if is possible for the next iso, please add by default plymouth for boot process

We will never have Plymouth because it relies on systemd and therefore is on the banned package list.

6. in the official repositories, you don't have yet "VirtualBox"

Of course we do.  But if you want USB support you'll have to get it from Oracle.  Just add their repos to sources.list.

trinity desktop environtment ?

You'll have to get it from their site.

#3 2018-01-28 07:24:10

inukaze

golinux wrote:

2. after install, the system don't have installed "Network Manager applet" in "Xfce".

golinux wrote:

You can install it from either the Devuan specific repo or experimental.  Can't remember exactly where it's currently at.

i say on the netbook i dont have way to connect to internet [i can't install or download anything with default installation of devuan]. and because of that i must use virtualbox on my main pc, to download the packages, copy the packages to usb, and install in the netbook with dpkg

golinux wrote:

We will never have Plymouth because it relies on systemd and therefore is on the banned package list.

Thanks for the list of Banned Packages. and
why not plymouth exist before the systemd take it like standard, on distros with sysvinit or another init,

i don't belive the programmers/developers can't adapt or rewrite it,

for example an older version without systemd, between years 2008 ~ 2016, for make an adapted version to OpenRC or well use the old alternatives like usplash or splashy, just adapted for openrc

#4 2018-01-28 09:02:42

golinux
Administrator

inukaze wrote:
golinux wrote:

golinux wrote:

i say on the netbook i dont have way to connect to internet [i can't install or download anything with default installation of devuan]. and because of that i must use virtualbox on my main pc, to download the packages, copy the packages to usb, and install in the netbook with dpkg

golinux wrote:

i don't believe the programmers/developers can't adapt or rewrite it,

for example an older version without systemd, between years 2008 ~ 2016, for make an adapted version to OpenRC or well use the old alternatives like usplash or splashy, just adapted for openrc

Sure that could probably be done if someone wanted to take it on.  But this camp is not much into eye candy.  In fact this is the is the first request for Plymouth since we started this in 2014.

#5 2018-01-28 14:33:30

inukaze

i had installed plymouth in devuan with openrc big_smile and works fine big_smile. i dont know the "solar" theme, have the debian logo instead devuan.

Plymouth Bootsplash - solar theme:
IMG_20180127_101534.jpg

rc-status output :
Picture : IMG_20180127_101831.jpg

Screenshot : devuan_openrc_plymouth.png

The Devuans Develop, don't have a Post,in where the users can discuss which software should came by default, after installation, software like :

* network-applet-gnome
* synaptic
* gksu
* medit
* viewnior
* xarchiver + unzip + unrar-free
* firefox esr or midori, links2 for CLI
* catfish
* hexchat
* qpdfview
* pasystray
* smplayer and/or vlc
* gimp
* inkscape
* xfce4-clipman
* xfce4-screenshooter

Libraries like :
* libsane
* sdl1.2, sdl2

and the users vote for which alternatives is considerated better, for put in the next iso of devuan stable.

#6 2018-01-28 17:05:18

golinux
Administrator

Software choice can (and has been) debated ad nauseum.  There is no one solution that will please everyone.  Devuan installs default desktop configurations and leaves it to users to customize to meet their needs.   Feel free to open a thread here to discuss if you like but don't expect changes in software choices unless there is a technical reason to do so.  Another option would be for you to roll your own derivative.

#7 2018-01-28 19:47:32

fsmithred
Administrator

The default network manager is wicd.

If you want a complete desktop, and you don't want to use a network mirror, use the DVD instead of the CD, and you won't be missing so much.
What's the full name of the iso you used?

The firmware directory contains symbolic links so that they are easily found and at the same time are in their proper place in pool without having two copies on the media.

Virtualbox is in the jessie repo. You need to add contrib to your sources.
Mugshot is in the repo.
I didn't check the others you were looking for.

#8 2018-01-28 22:08:11

inukaze

fsmithred wrote:

The default network manager is wicd.

If you want a complete desktop, and you don't want to use a network mirror, use the DVD instead of the CD, and you won't be missing so much.
What's the full name of the iso you used?

devuan_jessie_1.0.0_amd64_CD.iso [Installer ISO]. For this cd image, not came with any tool for manage the networks, not network-applet neither wicd and by that i prefer discuss why software should came by default on the next isos.

i am from Venezuela, download this image i should wait near 3 days for the download, and is less a standard cd of 700 MB. download the dvd iso, are so slowly, the past year i had download the dvd of slackware 14.2 (32 & 64 Bits) i wait during 17 days for each downloads to been finished.

fsmithred wrote:

The firmware directory contains symbolic links so that they are easily found and at the same time are in their proper place in pool without having two copies on the media.

For the installation from USB is necessary make the copy, in fat32 usb stick, simbolic links are not supported, because of that the directory just have a text files with 0 Bytes.  and during the installation, for example with the netbook. fails the drivers of Ethernet and wifi.

fsmithred wrote:

Virtualbox is in the jessie repo. You need to add contrib to your sources.
Mugshot is in the repo.
I didn't check the others you were looking for.

yes i had. i checked the availability of packages smile but another packages not are available yet like :
libmirage, vhba, cdemu, cdemu-daemon, cdemu-client, gcdemu

Its my favorite software for mount cd/dvd images, works very fine with things like Final Fantasy 7 + wine, with another tools like "mount" or "aceitoneiso" with wine i can't access directly to cd/dvd label (i supose that is the executable reads for check the cd) and because of that the game never starts, ever ask for the cd when i not use cdemu.

dockbarx

Last edited by inukaze (2018-01-28 22:09:29)

#9 2018-02-04 11:33:09

inukaze

golinux wrote:

6. in the official repositories, you don't have yet "VirtualBox"

Of course we do.  But if you want USB support you'll have to get it from Oracle.  Just add their repos to sources.list.

i do not need get it from Oracle, with the packages available on Devuan Jessie repositories. works for me.
But i got some strange issue, the first time i try to create a new machine i got this message

VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT

Well reading the logs and with various trys, the message don't changing but i finaled solved with the follow commands :

su -c "groupadd vboxusers ; useradd -g vboxusers vboxadd ; usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER ; gpasswd -a $USER vboxusers" root
su -c "echo 'KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0660"
KERNEL=="vboxdrvu", NAME="vboxdrvu", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0660"
KERNEL=="vboxnetctl", NAME="vboxnetctl", OWNER="root",GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0660"' | tee /lib/udev/rules.d/20-virtualbox2.rules" root
su -c "chown -R root:vboxusers /dev/vbox*" root
su -c "chmod -R 0660 /dev/vbox{drv,drvu,netctl}" root
su -c "service udev restart" root
wget -c "http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.3.40/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.40-110317a.vbox-extpack"
su -c "chown root:root /usr ; chown root:root /usr/lib" root
VBoxManage extpack install --replace "Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.40-110317a.vbox-extpack"

Here an screenshot with USB activated :
Devuan_Virtual_Box_USB.png

Board footer