The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-02 21:13:09

cynwulf

Re: Problems with the multimedia player VLC [Solved]

When it comes to device firmware, "non-free" is often unavoidable.  It's likely that many of the devices in your computer are pre-loaded with proprietary firmware (such as the system BIOS or EFI/UEFI).  The only difference between this firmware and the firmware you install from the repositories is that the former is already flashed to the device, the latter is loaded from userspace.

Yes it's "non free" code, but but it's not executable by your OS, it runs on the device itself.

You already had a closed source realtek firmware installed and simply added the radeon firmware needed for your hardware to fucntion.  The alternative is to buy different hardware, not change OS.

Last edited by cynwulf (2017-11-02 21:13:24)

#27 2017-11-03 12:29:00

keos

The whole thing it's all Greek to me ... you are saying something like it is but it is not ...

In Linuxmint i have not any problem with VLC.

Thanks.

devuan_ascii_2.0.0-rc_amd64_desktop-live.iso  [Xfce]

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics
GPU: AMD/ATI Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]

#28 2017-11-03 14:18:58

cynwulf

My last post was in response to this:

keos wrote:

it is not free ... i think that i'm going to uninstall devuan ...

Linux Mint is also "not free" (using your terminology), the firmware is already installed.

keos wrote:

In Linuxmint i have not any problem with VLC.

Then just use Linux Mint, until you're ready to tackle this problem again (if at all)?  Debian or Devuan are not the same as the Debian derivatives like Ubuntu and Mint which are completely pre-configured as install-able live systems and ready to run "out of the box".

You're also running "ASCII" which is the equivalent to the Debian testing branch.  This is not a finished, stable release.

Last edited by cynwulf (2017-11-03 14:21:01)

#29 2017-11-03 14:53:14

golinux
Administrator

cynwulf wrote:

You're also running "ASCII" which is the equivalent to the Debian testing branch.  This is not a finished, stable release.

Not exactly.  We are lagging behind the Debian cycle a bit.  Ascii is equivalent to Debian Stretch which is now a stable release.  Current Debian testing is Buster which will be our Beowulf once ascii stable is released.   wink

#30 2017-11-03 16:19:39

cynwulf

Which is why I said equivalent to "testing" rather than any release code name.

Is ASCII based directly on the stretch repositories then...?  I thought that after jessie, Devuan would go it a lone and develop a true fork?

#31 2017-11-03 18:49:16

golinux
Administrator

cynwulf wrote:

Which is why I said equivalent to "testing" rather than any release code name.

"equivalent to the Debian testing branch" doesn't say that to me.  wink  Maybe "which is equivalent to Debian Stretch but still undergoing testing to systemd-free compatible environment"

Is ASCII based directly on the stretch repositories then...?  I thought that after jessie, Devuan would go it a lone and develop a true fork?

Yes ascii is based more than 90% on Debian repos and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

#32 2017-11-03 20:10:20

cynwulf

Good lawwwddd....

Well...  in Debian at least, "testing" will always point to testing, whereas the codename will point to testing while the distribution is testing, but to stable once it goes stable.

So when I said "testing" I mean just that and used the word "equivalent" with reference to ASCII being equivalent to Debian testing, not being based upon it (in terms of same versions, etc).

So it would seem that Devuan will effectively still be a "derivative" rather than a fork for the next release.  It doesn't surprise me, as I've always thought that completely forking an entire distribution, especially one the size of Debian, was gonig to be a momentous task.

Last edited by cynwulf (2017-11-03 20:12:28)

#33 2017-11-03 21:01:50

greenjeans
Website

cynwulf wrote:

I didn't even notice that, about a 90% probability that's the problem.

VLC and every other media player i've tried work fine in Devuan stable, even in my stripped down Vuu-do, and even works 100% without Pulseaudio, i'm running straight ALSA and all gstreamer 0.10 too.

Can't tell people nothin', look around the forum, nearly all the reported "bugs" aren't bugs, they're ascii and ceres issues. You would think people would enjoy stable...I guess it's more important to say you got a 4.9 kernel, even if it doesn't do anything more than the stable kernel and your s**t keeps breaking. Go figure.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#34 2017-11-03 21:16:51

golinux
Administrator

cynwulf wrote:

Good lawwwddd....

I had a similar go around with another user here regarding ambiguous communication a while ago.

So it would seem that Devuan will effectively still be a "derivative" rather than a fork for the next release.  It doesn't surprise me, as I've always thought that completely forking an entire distribution, especially one the size of Debian, was going to be a momentous task.

Devuan has forked major parts of Debian relating to systemd.  Most of Debian repos remain unaffected and do not need to be forked at this time.  In the future we may decide to host all those unaffected packages in a Devuan repo but for now merging with Debian is a more efficient way to do it.

#35 2017-11-03 21:56:37

cynwulf

greenjeans wrote:

Can't tell people nothin', look around the forum, nearly all the reported "bugs" aren't bugs, they're ascii and ceres issues. You would think people would enjoy stable...I guess it's more important to say you got a 4.9 kernel, even if it doesn't do anything more than the stable kernel and your s**t keeps breaking. Go figure.

10+ years ago on the Debian forums, it was - and probably still is - much the same.  It got worse in the early years of 'buntu when a lot of new users migrated to Debian and decided that it was "out of date" - they of course ended up running testing and unstable and then proceeded to use the forum as a 'help desk' to fix their broken mess (this didn't go down to well with the regulars) - the rest, as they say, it history...

golinux wrote:

I had a similar go around with another user here regarding ambivalent communication a while ago.

Did you mean ambiguous?

golinux wrote:

Devuan has forked major parts of Debian relating to systemd.  Most of Debian repos remain unaffected and do not need to be forked at this time.  In the future we may decide to host all those unaffected packages in a Devuan repo but for now merging with Debian is a more efficient way to do it.

That clears it up, thanks.

#36 2017-11-03 22:10:00

golinux
Administrator

cynwulf wrote:
golinux wrote:

I had a similar go around with another user here regarding ambivalent communication a while ago.

Did you mean ambiguous?

Yes I did.  Been in bed most of the last 24 not feeling well and a little foggy.  I'll go fix it.

#37 2017-11-03 22:24:12

cynwulf

Well despite the ambiguity, I knew what you meant...

Get well soon.

#38 2017-11-04 16:01:04

golinux
Administrator

@cynwulf . . . you can get a better idea of which packages have been forked from this page.  The Devuan Packages are those that have been specifically altered.

In addition there is a blacklist.  Here is the one for ascii

And these are the libsystemd packages in ascii which "shouldn't have to be forked at this point, since the library doesn't do anything if systemd is not there" (parazyd).  Of course would be cleaner to have the detritus removed.  All repackaging volunteers welcome!

So you can see that a LOT is going on that makes this a little more than just another derivative.  wink

#39 2017-11-04 23:15:11

fsmithred
Administrator

Here's a more memorable url where you can find those package lists:
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/

#40 2018-07-05 12:56:13

keos

Just in case, if there is here a developer whom just want to know if VLC is ok now, after change to another iso, etc ..., the answer is NO, it still having the same problems ...

#41 2018-07-06 14:17:00

fsmithred
Administrator

I don't think it's a vlc problem, or maybe I don't understand exactly what the problem is.

If I open vlc in ascii and add two videos to the playlist and then start playing, the first one plays with audio and video, and when that one is finished, the second one plays with audio and video.

Coincidentally, I tested this on a Toshiba Satellite, but this one is all intel.

#42 2018-07-08 15:04:06

keos

Hi fsmithred,

When the video is running it could stop suddenly, then it continue after seconds, or the image could become fragmented for a while and start working properly later, but when everything looks normal ... again and again ... No problems with audio.

Maybe i have to change the subject, i don't think is it VLC problem, it is happening only here at Devuan, i have tried with others OS like MXLinux and it is running very good, so something is missing ...

Last edited by keos (2018-07-08 15:06:29)

#43 2018-07-09 11:30:21

Panopticon

Maybe try another media player application and see if it gives the same errors, try MPV media player.

# apt-get install mpv

#44 2018-07-09 12:02:51

keos

i already did it in the past, i tried different media players and everything was ok, no problems, but i prefer vlc.

#45 2018-07-19 14:46:46

keos

Well this is what i did yesterday:

apt-get dist-upgrade !!

and after that, and following an idea from another place:

apt policy vlc*

and i installed everything that was not installed.

-- since the last night everything is fine now, no more problems.

Thanks!

Board footer