The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-04 20:39:52

FAipLLC-Andrew

[SOLVED] Firefox and Firefox Nightly repos in Synaptic . .

I do NOT use ESR for all kinds of reasons.

One of the things i am attempting to change is regarding what and how i install key packages like firefox.  In the past i would download the package, unzip it in the Home folder and create a link to it-

Same for FirefoxNightly

but i want it to be updated through Synaptic instead  ( and now that Mozilla  has finally made one home for them, I want to install the repos like you would anything else. So it can be on my favorites etc.  .. but, once again, this old man is confused by conflicting findings

https://mozilla-version-control-tools.r … drepo.html

and THIS FOR DEVS . .  Which seems to indicate that Devs can get everything in one place now.  So what about us ?

https://hg.mozilla.org/

https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/file

Have found a link for ESR  AND REGULAR Firefox

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/poli … *&x=submit

but no option for en -  us -  i am sure i am just missing something fundamental here -- but no default choices listed. Or should i just use UK ?

and here for original links

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

but no nightly

also found these instructions regarding firefox nightly - DEBIAN

https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2023/1 … ributions/

But nothing unified for all the flavors (regular, esr, nightly )

WHAT is considered  ok to use from Debian?   Is there a repo within Devuan for the different flavors ?

IS THERE ONE SIGNLE source in Devuan ( or favored by Devuan ) that supplies them all ?

Do we still have the ability to cli install these in Devuan , FROM THE DEBIAN LISTING? I am guesing no. .

So can someone point me to a UNIFIED source for DEVUAN REPOS for Firefox ?

Or is there yet a more singular  ( complicated is ok )   way altogether to do all this ?

#2 2024-04-05 10:14:55

alexkemp

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox and Firefox Nightly repos in Synaptic . .

FWIW:

$ apt search firefox | fgrep installed

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

firefox-esr/stable-security,stable-proposed-updates,now 115.9.1esr-1~deb12u1 amd64 [installed]
iceweasel/now 78.14.0esr-1~deb10u1 all [installed,local]

(I hand-removed all the language-variants in the following) (lots & lots & lots of them)

$ apt search firefox
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
activity-aware-firefox/stable 0.4.1-2 all
  wrapper to make Firefox aware of Plasma Desktop activities

firefox-esr/stable-security,stable-proposed-updates,now 115.9.1esr-1~deb12u1 amd64 [installed]
  Mozilla Firefox web browser - Extended Support Release (ESR)

firefox-esr-l10n-all/stable-security,stable-proposed-updates 115.9.1esr-1~deb12u1 all
  All language packages for Firefox ESR (meta)

firefox-esr-mobile-config/stable 3.2.0-1 all
  Default mobile-friendly configuration for Firefox ESR

iceweasel/now 78.14.0esr-1~deb10u1 all [installed,local]
  Web browser based on Firefox - Transitional package

libfirefox-marionette-perl/stable 1.35-1+deb12u1 all
  module to automate the Firefox browser with the Marionette protocol

plasma-browser-integration/stable 5.27.5-2 amd64
  Chromium, Google Chrome, Firefox integration for Plasma

webext-debianbuttons/stable 2.3-2 all
  Buttons for querying Debian-related pages with Firefox

webext-foxyproxy/stable 7.5.1+dfsg-3 all
  Advanced proxy management for Firefox

webext-ublock-origin-firefox/stable 1.46.0+dfsg-1 all
  lightweight and efficient ads, malware, trackers blocker (Firefox)

xul-ext-debianbuttons/stable 2.3-2 all
  Buttons for Firefox - Transitional package

#3 2024-04-05 11:33:00

stopAI

I do NOT use ESR for all kinds of reasons.

Of course, it's not my business, but it's a bad decision. A simple example. The latest version of Firefox (not ESR) does not work well in the wayland environment (with sway), because the version of wayland in the Devuan (and Debian) repository is old and not suitable for work with the latest version of Firefox. Firefox-esr works good.

#4 2024-04-06 04:25:04

FAipLLC-Andrew

Alex Kemp - thank you. That is all i ever need  is an example and i am off to the races  . .  for everything now, not just firefox.  This obviously is a methodology that will work with all the hidden corners of Devuan.  Synaptic just doesn't cover the optional stuff.
Many thanks.

Stop Ai  -  I love your moniker. . . I know   what you mean. I have always noticed a snappy ESR and a sometimes lag in the others. but to be fair i have used both the regular Firefox and the nightly for about 20 years now and they have a lot of baggage to account for. But I am happy to not be so quick on the draw as a tradeoff for having all my extensions ( 35 of them ) and bookmarks just there at all times.   I am a folder freak.

Interesting what you say about Wayland and sway on ESR.  But ESR has never had as much flexibility under the hood. So are you saying that in Daedalus it is still a problem ?  I have had no problem in  Chimaera.  which is where i am stuck until Daedalus resolves stupid stuff around D E not launching at tty7on fresh install.

As far as Wayland, yeah  . . . it took 10 years for me to finally give up on Kali and Manjaro for that same reason. Sysd and Wayland never cut the mustard and Compositor was always an issue that nev. was always re-installing after some random break that built up over time.  but part of that was KDE driven issues. I find  LXQt  much better and that is my Devuan default these days with KDE 2nd.   Xfce and Mate really just don't cut it because they are going the Gnome-bias way and i really think it is time for Cannonical to just take Gnome over.  or Fedora- RedHat.   Nuff said.  I am happy to have less snappiness in exchange for pleasing graphics, etc of the QT KDE variety. Love KDE cosmetics, and their suite of mainstay software gets better all the Time.

I must admit i am also a huge Thunderbird user.   Actually backs up 12 different emails with relative grace.

But i was also on earthlink  dial-up with Navigator  on Windows in the 90's -- always felt there had to be a bertter way than Windows.

And everyone here who contributes to the body of  Linux knowledge proves it every day.

Thanks again.

A

#5 2024-04-06 10:19:09

stopAI

Hello again.

I mean Firefox-esr in wayland environment works through xwayland. If you enable the option that allows firefox-esr to work in native wayland environment, firefox-esr works very poorly. The latest version of Firefox automatically detects and works in the wayland environment. However, since the wayland version in Devuan 5 is old, the latest version of Firefox, which is obviously intended for use with the latest version of wayland, works very poorly. If I switch to xwayland session it works fine....

#6 2024-04-06 19:00:35

zapper

If you use firefox directly, rather than librewolf, mullvad, or mercury, always use ESR.

ESR is way more stable from what I am told.

Although, it also changes much less, so its probably accurate anyhow.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#7 2024-04-06 19:26:54

rolfie

To set some minds right in terms of relations between Debian and Devuan: The small Devuan team just replaces a minimum set of packages related to systemd by packages that support init freedom. The Devuan web page (accessible by a link on the top of this page) amongst other information also shows a list of banned packages. Only these are modified or replaced.

All the rest is a 1:1 copy of the Debian repo.

This is also true for Firefox. What isn't in the Debian repo can't be found in the Devuan repo, no matter if on cli e.g. by apt or in graphics mode e.g. by Synaptic.

#8 2024-04-06 19:45:07

FAipLLC-Andrew

thanks guys - Andrew - Marking SOLVED

#9 2024-04-06 20:50:52

golinux
Administrator

rolfie wrote:

The Devuan web page (accessible by a link on the top of this page) amongst other information also shows a list of banned packages. Only these are modified or replaced.

I have always thought that packages on that list were actually BANNED ie not installable in Devuan.  Packages that are forked or native will have a reference to devuan in the filename but I'm not sure of the exact formula. Someone else here will.

#10 2024-04-06 21:28:41

grunchy

hello, i realize i am a little late to this thread, but i use the mozilla apt repo to keep up-to-date
with the latest firefox. it moves quickly, so whenever i want to get up-to-date, my receipe is:

apt-mark unhold firefox
apt update 
apt-mark hold firefox

go here for the step-by-step

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in … tributions

in sum, you need to add mozilla signing key, add moz apt repo to /etc/apt/sources.list.d
and prioritize moz repo with pin-priority: 1000 in /etc/apt/preferences.d/mozilla

#11 2024-04-12 14:22:44

mobilturka

Firefox latest for Devuan install

sudo install -d -m 0755 /etc/apt/keyrings
wget -q https://packages.mozilla.org/apt/repo-signing-key.gpg -O- | sudo tee /etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc > /dev/null
echo "deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/packages.mozilla.org.asc] https://packages.mozilla.org/apt mozilla main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mozilla.list > /dev/null
echo '
Package: *
Pin: origin packages.mozilla.org
Pin-Priority: 1000
' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/mozilla
sudo apt update && sudo apt install firefox -y

Last edited by mobilturka (2024-04-12 14:24:11)

Board footer