The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-17 22:07:29

marma-lade

Daedalus upgrade corrupts

I just tried to upgrade a 4.0 MATE system. There were some strange things happening that contradicted the release notes, but I persisted. After it completed, I looked at the downloads folder. Holy cow! Most of the filenames looked as if a child had attacked them with a sharpie. I took a screenshot, but the screenshot filename was corrupted the same way. I copied it to a USB flash drive and transferred it to a Linux Mint system. The file and the filename are fine, so it's a display issue on the original system. I will now rebuild the system, but not with 5.0.

If someone wants to tell me how to upload files here, I can show the screenshot.

#2 2023-08-17 22:09:29

golinux
Administrator

Re: Daedalus upgrade corrupts

You'll have to post elsewhere and provide a link.

#3 2023-08-17 23:47:49

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@marma-lade, the next time you upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0, remember to add the new section named non-free-firmware which was added in Debian for some reason, and thus is added the same in Devuan.

That section is in addition to the "old" non-free in Devuan 5.0 and probably onwards; it doesn't exist for versions 4.0 and newer. It is a new repository section that appears to contain all firmware that previously were in non-free.

If you don't add that section, your upgraded system will not be able to find and install required firmware.

https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … o-daedalus

#4 2023-08-18 12:48:08

boughtonp
Website

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

@marma-lade, the next time you upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0, remember to add the new section named non-free-firmware which was added in Debian for some reason, and thus is added the same in Devuan.

That section is in addition to the "old" non-free in Devuan 5.0 and probably onwards; it doesn't exist for versions 4.0 and newer. It is a new repository section that appears to contain all firmware that previously were in non-free.

Why are you saying "for some reason", "appears to", etc?

Debian made a clear and definite decision to move non-free firmware into its own non-free-firmware section, so it can be used in the installer, and removes the need for enabling the non-free section for everyone that only enables it for the firmware.

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware wrote:

For Debian 12 onwards, all the packaged non-free firmware binaries that Debian can distribute have been moved to a new component in the Debian archive, called non-free-firmware. If you're upgrading from an older release of Debian and you need these firmware binaries, you should update the apt sources.list on your system to use this new component. If you only had the non-free component enabled on your system to allow you to install firmware, you can safely remove that now.

i.e. Unless one explicitly needs the non-free section, they can replace it with non-free-firmware.

3.1415P265E589T932E846R64338

#5 2023-08-19 22:11:02

marma-lade

@ralph.ronnquist

Yes, I noticed that (non-free) on a Debian system. I did not notice it on the Devuan system, so you're probably correct about the problem. This is on an AMD laptop that has always acted strangely with certain Linux distributions.

And strangely, after a couple of reboots, the sharpie-text went away and now text looks normal. Whatever.

Board footer