The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 19:14:15

mcandre

Official Docker image?

Could Devuan maintain an official Docker base image on DockerHub? I see a handful of "devuan" images there, but I'm not sure which one to use.

#2 2017-08-07 20:54:14

fungus
Website

Re: Official Docker image?

https://devuan.org/index.html#download
The same list of the official images exist in all mirrors so choose one near you.
If you have a fast ethernet connection you can use netinstall and minimal and add what you like.
If you want a desktop (I think xfce is the default) use the larger images.
You can use live if you are unsure your hardware would work.  You can set certain things up on your live system
and the refracta installer will install that system on your drive/partition.  Use Devuan's gparted partitioner for the installation.
There are also devuan projects/forks.  The two I know and have used are with openbox and are very light in resources and
if you didn't like openbox before, wait till you see MiyoLinux and Vuu-Do (on my signature).

The devuan installer is so much fun you would want to do it over again.

#3 2017-08-07 21:48:26

golinux
Administrator

@fungus . . . Do you know what Docker is?

@mcandre . . . Found this old thread on the dng mail list.  There has been very little discussion of Docker over the years here - mostly lxc.  But do search dng and the botbot logs for the freenode#devuan irc channel.  You might find a kindred soul to work on Docker for Devuan.

#4 2017-08-18 16:44:17

alluredbit
Website

I did not try this on Devuan yet, and it is not Docker but - on Debian I use preseed pointed to a local share, the new PC is grabbing the IP and the hostname from local DNS/DHCP server based on MAC, and of course there is an apt-cacher as well to grab any packages from the local network. In my opinion it is much better than Docker for base images. Maybe someone could verify that this works on Devuan as well...

start.webtechbazaar.com
Describe whats important, what seldom or never change - then give it away!

Board footer